Inverness CT 0-0 Real Valladolid (FT)

caleyrule

There was a problem with the PA system for the Queens Park game, it was unable to be fixed in time for the Real Villadolid game, hopefully it will be working again in time for the Antwerp game on saturday. The guy that did the Second half on tuesday is to take over from Jud. Jud does his best when he's asked to fill in, thats all that can be asked of him.As for the anouncement of the wrong number for the sub, they were on the other side of the pitch, unless they had binoculars im sure it was a strain on the eyes. The second guy on tues made an effort to pronounce the spainish players names and im sure if it was his first time he would have been nervous. surely we as fans can give the guy a chance????

I don't in any way blame Jud, he is to be commended for his best endeavours. I do however wonder at the competence of the person who allowed the club to look like it lacks professionalism.

I am very proud of this club, as are many posters on this forum, but when I see it being let down, 3 days to fix a PA etc, I can't help but be concerned.:ictscarf:

Kind of you to volunteer your services, well done. :_thumbup:

There was a problem with the PA system for the Queens Park game, it was unable to be fixed in time for the Real Villadolid game, hopefully it will be working again in time for the Antwerp game on saturday. The guy that did the Second half on tuesday is to take over from Jud. Jud does his best when he's asked to fill in, thats all that can be asked of him.As for the anouncement of the wrong number for the sub, they were on the other side of the pitch, unless they had binoculars im sure it was a strain on the eyes. The second guy on tues made an effort to pronounce the spainish players names and im sure if it was his first time he would have been nervous. surely we as fans can give the guy a chance????

To be quite honest, I hope it's damaged beyond repair! It's rubbish!

Some very good points there and points which for me completely answer all the unwarranted criticism. A temporary PA system which couldnt be avoided and new announcer(s) dealing with difficult names on his first outing.

I think its way OTT to say that mis-pronounciation or struggling with foreign names could be classed as racist

Think what its like in the English Premiership, going by all the nationalities that play within the league they have there must be hundreds of names mis-pronounced every week. It doesnt mean the announcer is being racist or the club are lacking professionalism.

I would doubt very much if the Real Valladolid players would even be taking notice of the announcer let alone how his Spanish sounded.

What do folk want? Should we hire in an interpreter just to pronounce the names correctly. I have been to many away grounds and have heard countless mistakes, i certainly dont think it unprofessional or racist, its part and parcel of football, we are human after all

I totally agree that the announcer should be given a chance to show if he is up to it. Give him a few games and see what he can do

Edited by Libero
  • Agree 1

Some very good points there and points which for me completely answer all the unwarranted criticism. A temporary PA system which couldnt be avoided and new announcer(s) dealing with difficult names on his first outing.

I think its way OTT to say that mis-pronounciation or struggling with foreign names could be classed as racist

Think what its like in the English Premiership, going by all the nationalities that play within the league they have there must be hundreds of names mis-pronounced every week. It doesnt mean the announcer is being racist or the club are lacking professionalism.

I would doubt very much if the Real Valladolid players would even be taking notice of the announcer let alone how his Spanish sounded.

What do folk want? Should we hire in an interpreter just to pronounce the names correctly. I have been to many away grounds and have heard countless mistakes, i certainly dont think it unprofessional or racist, its part and parcel of football, we are human after all

I totally agree that the announcer should be given a chance to show if he is up to it. Give him a few games and see what he can do

The point is the announcer didn't even attempt to pronounce the visiting teams line up !!! As has already been said all it would take is a little research .

The point is the announcer didn't even attempt to pronounce the visiting teams line up !!! As has already been said all it would take is a little research .

Is it fair to ask an announcer who is more than likely a volunteer to research linguistics so that he gets every oppostion players name bang on?

Ive forgotten how many times i hear on the radio or read in newspapers professional journalists getting our players names wrong, or mis pronounced or mis-spelt or even get the wrong name entirely. It happens all the time and i think to deem the announcers handling/mishandling of spanish names as racist is OTT. In a perfect world announcers would get names/numbers/pronunciations all perfect however it rarely happens. If journalists dont do the research and its part of their job what chance is there of a volunteer announcer doing it.

Goin by the views on this thread it appears its offensive and deemed racist to name the team and get the names wrong and its also offensive to not try to pronounce the names?

No win situation

Why are folk giving Gordy a hard time here for his eminently sensible comments? My pronounciation of foreign names is not good but if I placed myself in a position of introducing guests (which the Spanish players were) then I would make a point of finding out how to pronounce their names properly. Not to do so is simply rude. Not to even try is frankly shameful and reflects badly on the club and on our famed Highland hospitality. I hope club officials apologised to our Spanish visitors for the crass behaviour of the announcer.

Spot on . :_thumbup:

Why are folk giving Gordy a hard time here for his eminently sensible comments? My pronounciation of foreign names is not good but if I placed myself in a position of introducing guests (which the Spanish players were) then I would make a point of finding out how to pronounce their names properly. Not to do so is simply rude. Not to even try is frankly shameful and reflects badly on the club and on our famed Highland hospitality. I hope club officials apologised to our Spanish visitors for the crass behaviour of the announcer.

Spot on . :_thumbup:

I agree with Doofer'sDad.

Is it fair to ask an announcer who is more than likely a volunteer to research linguistics so that he gets every oppostion players name bang on?

Ive forgotten how many times i hear on the radio or read in newspapers professional journalists getting our players names wrong, or mis pronounced or mis-spelt or even get the wrong name entirely. It happens all the time and i think to deem the announcers handling/mishandling of spanish names as racist is OTT. In a perfect world announcers would get names/numbers/pronunciations all perfect however it rarely happens. If journalists dont do the research and its part of their job what chance is there of a volunteer announcer doing it.

Goin by the views on this thread it appears its offensive and deemed racist to name the team and get the names wrong and its also offensive to not try to pronounce the names?

No win situation

Bit of a dfference there. A journalist writing a report is not an official representative of ICT, an announcer is.

Edited by Renegade

Totally agree, made us sound a bunch of bumpkins who couldn't pronounce the simplest of Johnny Foreigner's odd un-English names. Or be bothered finding out how.

And he couldn't even pronounce the name of the club, which I thought was REALLY insulting.

the simplest of Johnny Foreigner's odd un-English names? Such as?

he couldn't even pronounce the name of the club Can you?

I find it strange that the announcers role has become such an office of high esteem that it is envied by the masses. If you want Don back just say so, don't attack others when they are doing their own best.

(a) Jesus - a pretty common Spanish name, which the second announcer got perfectly

(b) Yes

Clicky here

Edited by alimci

And the Antwerp team is : Sprout; B Sprout: Russell Sprout : Bean Sprout ; Alfala Sprout ; Broccoli Sprout; Spicy Sprout ; Onion Sprout ; Crispy Sprout; Pea Sprout and Lentil Sprout. Announced to the background sounds of King of Rock and Roll by Prefab ?

Edited by IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

(a) Jesus - a pretty common Spanish name, which the second announcer got perfectly

(b) Yes

Clicky here

What was Jesus Surname then? And is that easy to pronounce?

What makes you think posting a link on the internet proves you can pronounce a place name?

Get off the announcers back for pity sake, he did a job. Will any of his critics here be offering to take on the role?

It just needed a conversation.

"Dani"

"Que?"

How do you pronounce this lot - slowly, mind so I get it"

"Va-la-tho-leed"

"crackin. Ta"

"Ladies & gentlemen, tonight's teams are..........

Edited by davie
  • Agree 1

(b) Yes

Clicky here

What was Jesus Surname then? And is that easy to pronounce?

What makes you think posting a link on the internet proves you can pronounce a place name?

Get off the announcers back for pity sake, he did a job. Will any of his critics here be offering to take on the role?

What on earth has whether I can remember the whole badly pronounced team sheet got to do with it? He couldn't pronounce the name of the club and most of the players' names. Fact. You think it's okay. I think it makes us look unprofessional.

I didn't post the link as proof I can pronounce it, but to show that 30 seconds on google would get you a pronounciation if you didn't know how. Although indeed, asking Dani or the second announcer would have been the easy options.

Anyway, thankfully Antwerp should offer less of a problem ...

get off his back he gives up his time for our club so that we can get some information about some spanish division 2 player it realy doesnt matter as the p.asystem is shocking and it was a freiendly with an attendance a fraction of our stadiums capacity and he isnt gonna have to pronounce any international names exept when we play hearts :)

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

Automatically generated message

This topic has been closed by a moderator for the reason stated below.

Reason: This thread has descended into personal slights against a (volunteer) staff member and petty bickering so it is now closed.

If you disagree with this action, please report this post stating the reasons you believe it should be re-opened and the moderation team will discuss it and make a final decision.

• Agree 2