You can stop the positive scores by keeping on posting the rubbish that you have been lately ya olde stirrer.

Well - out of respect I shall follow the moderating advice. Perhaps it is better not to know about the repuation scoring as boring individuals may catch me up quickly.

For me the 'reputation' buttons are no more than a bit of fun. If they were intended to be for real, then, because the system is so open to abuse, they fall a long way short of what any design intentions might have been. Wouldn't be surprised to see them scrapped within a few months.

• Disagree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the reputation button is a good idea as long as everybody uses it in the spirit it is intended. Where someone makes a particularly good post it is good to acknowledge it. Without the reputation button the only option is to write a brief reply to say "totally agree" "good post" or whatever which really adds nothing to the thread but wastes time for others reading the thread. It is also good to express a negative view of posts without putting yourself in the firing line of criticising others. If a post is in bad taste then it is good that the poster should know that others are not impressed. In general, I think it is working pretty well although inevitably there seem to be one or two good posts being marked down and some moronic or distasteful ones marked up.

My gripe with the system as it is, is that you are limited to the number of buttons you can push each day. Some days there may be several comments which you would like to mark up or down, but you can't. Also, some folk will access the site only every few days or so and therefore can mark up or down less than those who access everyday. My answer would be to allocate members a plus and minus "vote" each day which becomes cumulative. That way members would be free to mark posts up or down when they saw fit but there would be little opportunity for folk to vote a post up or down just because they can.

As for IHE, he seems to be the one victim of the system. Are there a small number of folk constantly voting him down just for the hell of it? He has a somewhat individual style which some folk may not like but several pretty normal posts of his which would probably not have been marked down had anybody else posted them have been marked down. Many of IHEs posts give many of us a good laugh and his matchday assessments are usually spot on. I for one would not want to see IHE change and I am sure his reputation sccore conceals the fact that a lot of positive buttons have been pushed. Keep it feckin coming IHE!

• Agree 1

I think the reputation button is a good idea as long as everybody uses it in the spirit it is intended. Where someone makes a particularly good post it is good to acknowledge it. Without the reputation button the only option is to write a brief reply to say "totally agree" "good post" or whatever which really adds nothing to the thread but wastes time for others reading the thread. It is also good to express a negative view of posts without putting yourself in the firing line of criticising others. If a post is in bad taste then it is good that the poster should know that others are not impressed. In general, I think it is working pretty well although inevitably there seem to be one or two good posts being marked down and some moronic or distasteful ones marked up.

The first part of your post is precisely what is intended. the last sentence is also what was expected.

My gripe with the system as it is, is that you are limited to the number of buttons you can push each day. Some days there may be several comments which you would like to mark up or down, but you can't. Also, some folk will access the site only every few days or so and therefore can mark up or down less than those who access everyday.

The reason for that is to try and make sure that any 'abuse' of the system is limited. You yourself touched on this in your opening paragraph. If the system is used as intended then we will happily increase the quota but if it is not, then we will keep it low so people have to consider whether they want to waste a vote by being a smartarse.

My answer would be to allocate members a plus and minus "vote" each day which becomes cumulative. That way members would be free to mark posts up or down when they saw fit but there would be little opportunity for folk to vote a post up or down just because they can.

I quite like this idea, it sounds pretty sensible. Unfortunately it is not available within the reputation system designed by the makers of the software. I will however post this as an idea on their customer forums and see what response there is.

As for IHE, he seems to be the one victim of the system. Are there a small number of folk constantly voting him down just for the hell of it? He has a somewhat individual style which some folk may not like but several pretty normal posts of his which would probably not have been marked down had anybody else posted them have been marked down. Many of IHEs posts give many of us a good laugh and his matchday assessments are usually spot on. I for one would not want to see IHE change and I am sure his reputation sccore conceals the fact that a lot of positive buttons have been pushed. Keep it feckin coming IHE!

It is what it is. I would agree there is probably an element of that happening, but as we all know - IHE included - people either like particular posts of his or loathe them and he is likely to attract a lot of votes (both positive and negative) for his own inimitable style. I may consider reducing his negative reputation via the database if I see further attempts to get him to be the first to reach -100 :ponder: