Royal Antwerp Matchday thread

jagster

Fair result but ICT definately had the better of the chances

Gillet looked impressive as did Ross. Both stand outs for me. Foran looked dangerous when he came on, as did Odi. Odi has looked very good so far in pre-season. Gave the defenders a really hard time today. Got really stuck in and caused a lot of problems with his direct running.

Gil looked a lot brighter in second half, dangerous set pieces

Wouldn't single anyone out for a bad performance although some mis-placed passes.

A good work out against a very physical side

Sushi - Antwerp looked a very strong team, very physical and they pressed quickly all over the park

The defence looks big and strong, very good battle in midfield but your strikers seemed to be pretty well contained by our centre halfs. You had a good spell just after half time, created a couple of good chances and scored from the corner

We came into the game more after you scored and finished the game well creating the better chances

A lot of Antwerp subs in the second half which seemed to hamper your rhythm.

Your number 4 with yellow boots played very well in midfield in the first half and had a right battle with our left back. After the injury your your centre half it looked like he moved to defence an faded out of the game

Overall a good contest

Thought that was a decent game as far as friendlys go with both teams going for it. Antwerp are a big physical team who play in a similar style to the teams over here and looked a good outfit.Special mention to the 150 odd Antwerp fans who were terrific throughout, very noisy and ensured it wasn't the usual drab pre-season friendly.

First half we looked the better side and created the majority of the chances while Antwerp came back into it second half.However their only serious effort on goal, aside from a deflected effort which brought out a fabulous save from Esson, was the headed goal they scored from a corner.Well taken but disappointing defending.

Without being too hard on the new signings, with the new season upon us i would say the only one whose shown enough to be considered for a starting slot would be Gillet and the rest have some way to go to displace the players that performed so well last season.

We lack creativity without Foran and Hayes and his introduction today brought instant reward.Odiambo also is looking very sharp so hopefully Hayes wont be too rusty come next saturday.

Not a bad performance today though all round with plenty chances created, bring on the Celtic.

Pretty poor game. Standard pre-season fare really. The ref blew for a free kick at the slightest hint of physical contact which didn't help matters

Think we were lucky to nick the draw epecially as they had a clear cut penalty turned down with a few minutes to go. The first half was eminantly forgettable with our usual aimless hoofs up the park the standard tactic. Things improved dramatically in the second when the absolutely hopeless Sanchez & Blumenshtein were replaced by Eric & Foran.

Thought Tokely & Esson were excellent as was Gillet today. Ross will need to bulk up a bit to survive in the SPL. Far too easily dispossessed. Think a season on loan would do him the world of good

The 2 games I've seen so far have made me realise how much we are going to rely on Foran & Hayes this season. We are lost without them

What a racket the Antwerp fans make! Fair play to them as they had a bigger support than many SPL sides take up to us.

Edited by kencar

Sushi - Antwerp looked a very strong team, very physical and they pressed quickly all over the park

The defence looks big and strong, very good battle in midfield but your strikers seemed to be pretty well contained by our centre halfs. You had a good spell just after half time, created a couple of good chances and scored from the corner

We came into the game more after you scored and finished the game well creating the better chances

Your number 4 with yellow boots played very well in midfield in the first half and had a right battle with our left back. After the injury your your centre half it looked like he moved to defence an faded out of the game

Overall a good contest

gutted i missed what sounds like it was a cracking day out

1-1 seems like a decent result too

Overall a good contest

thanks libero for your posts and comment on our play, we have two good central defenders but no replacements and now one of them is injured (together with a good striker and our best right winger) this will be a very hard season for us if no new players will be signed (we need doubble ups for central defence, central midfield and a striker)

i hope you have a great season with ICT

"A" for effort, Libero.Excellent. :_thumbup:

I am getting the impression that our defence is shaping up into quite a potent solid unit. Is this correct?

With a solid defence the front players can start getting forward to create chances.

So I am more confident now about our prospects. Looks like the spirit is there, thank goodness. VITAL to success.

Terry says there is vitality in the team this season when there was not last season. I think he means "at the beginning of last season", does he not?

Scored

Foran

Must have been on 60 seconds at most

Just back.

Yes it did take Foran a full 60 seconds to find his feet and make an impression on this game. Poor guy is clearly woefully short of match fitness.

:_shocked2:

A good contest but still alot of room for improvement. Probably could have been 1 or 2 up at half time. Nick Ross looked good and Rooney was working his socks off. Gillet was brilliant defensively and getting forward. Looks a great player. Gil tryed bur just could not get anything right in the 1st half. He did improve in the 2nd half though, he has the makings of a great player. Sanchez on the other hand had almost no impact on the game what so ever.

Antwerp were much quicker 2nd half and probably deserved the opener on the run of play. Butcher's subs were well timed and well made, Foran, Odhiambo and Sutherland all made a positive impact on the game. Definite pen when Foran was fouled and took it really well.

Overall i would say a draw was a fair result. If there is any money left i would use it as i think we are still looking a tad frail in certain areas of midfield and we really sturggle to produce a good final ball when Hayes and Foran don't play and there is no certainty they will be fit throughout the season again.

Great support Antwerpfans !! About 200 fans went to ICT ...

your fans were great, sung their hearts out and looked like they really enjoyed themselves. Made more noise than ive heard from an away support in a long time. Puts a lot of travelling SPL teams supporters to shame

Sounds like a decent enough result against a big, strong side. We seem to miss the creativity of Hayes and Foran and it seems doubtful that they will be match fit enough to play 90 mins against Celtic. Hope they at least might be fit enough to make an impact as subs (like Foran did today). Otherwise it might be a 'hard day at the office'next Saturday

Overall a good contest

thanks libero for your posts and comment on our play, we have two good central defenders but no replacements and now one of them is injured (together with a good striker and our best right winger) this will be a very hard season for us if no new players will be signed (we need doubble ups for central defence, central midfield and a striker)

i hope you have a great season with ICT

yeah your centre halfs look good, looks like your going to have a strong physical team which i hope will do well, all the best for the coming season

Enjoyed that, was like a competitive fixture as some points. The atmosphere from the Belgians helped a lot.

Gillet was very impressive, deserved the MoM award. Roscoe was immense again at centre-back, Proctor played well considering it isn't his best position and he was up against some absolute giants.

Rooney had nothing all day but long balls, difficult to judge how well he played. Put in the effort and made the most out of what he got. What a difference having Foran back on the pitch though, superb on the left. Odi was excellent again as well, making the right runs and chasing every ball.

As much as the game was enjoyable, cannot wait for a real game against one half of the old filth next week.

Edited by tokelyisvictorious

Sounds like a decent enough result against a big, strong side. We seem to miss the creativity of Hayes and Foran and it seems doubtful that they will be match fit enough to play 90 mins against Celtic. Hope they at least might be fit enough to make an impact as subs (like Foran did today). Otherwise it might be a 'hard day at the office'next Saturday

we really do miss their creativity. Ross did pretty well today, played some nice passes and some good crosses. Sanchez and Blumanshtein dont appear to be dangerous enough out on the wing. The one thing i'll say about Ross however is that he still looks a bit lightweight at times. i think once he's bulked up a little he should be able to compete better against big defenders

Was delighted to see Foran make an appearance, a game changing one at that, given that he managed game time today i hope that he can get more minutes against clach next week and really hope that Hayes can get some game time going into the Celtic game.

What utter nonsense!!

I take it you've never seen Foran and Hayes playing before?

These guys are very talented players. They are the types of player who will win matches for their team irrespective of their "match fitness".

If TB leaves these two out for the Celtic game, citing lack of match fitness as a reason, then he's a bl0ody idiot.

Foran took precisely 60 seconds today to blast the lack of match fitness theory right out the window. Jonny Hayes is also more than capable of doing the exact same thing.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Great support Antwerpfans !! About 200 fans went to ICT ...

your fans were great, sung their hearts out and looked like they really enjoyed themselves. Made more noise than ive heard from an away support in a long time. Puts a lot of travelling SPL teams supporters to shame

thanks ! You see: We didn't lie :_thumbup: