We need a new announcer

comeonletswin

Yesterday, the announcer was an embarrassment to the club. Whilst I can appreciate that some of the names for the Royal Antwerp team were difficult to pronounce, pregnant pauses do not create the right image for the club. Reading out the home team players also presented a problem.

To add to this, the announcer has the volume too high and he has the microphone too close. As a result, it is very loud and some sounds are distorted to the extent they cannot be understood.

I think we need a professional person to do the announcing. Someone who can sound interesting, has a clear voice and knows how to use a public address system. If the person we had yesterday is the person who is going to do the announcing for the rest of the season, we need a new announcer.

One idea would be to give media college students the opportunity to be an announcer. This could involve a relationship between ICT and a university. Being an announcer would give the student a means of gaining practical experience.

What are your views?

Edited by comeonletswin
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

think you'll find that the announcer yesterday was the new announcer. I hope when he finds his feet he'll inprove. However, in my opinion Don was the best announcer by far.

I agree Don was good. I think there needs to be quite a bit of improvement for Saturday's announcer to come anywhere near Don's level. If you are right, I hope he improves quickly. However, surely holding an audition would find out whether a person is up for it or not. Having a poor announcer doesn't look very good for the club, not to mention the fact that supporters have to put up with it.

You get professional announcers?

Just get an enthusiastic caley fan to do it that way you save a lot of money

I would also like for 'I feel good' to be the song that comes on when we score i just loved it when it was like thatictscarf.gif

I would also like for 'I feel good' to be the song that comes on when we score i just loved it when it was like thatictscarf.gif

You don't have to pay for professionals. An enthusiast can have a professional approach by deliver a quality service. Like a mentioned earlier, students in media studies might relish the thought of having a go. I know of some that are supporters.

You don't have to pay for professionals. An enthusiast can have a professional approach by deliver a quality service. Like a mentioned earlier, students in media studies might relish the thought of having a go. I know of some that are supporters.

well, a profesional approach is not being professional therefore you wouldn't have to pay them

i think its a totally new pa system caley need the one we have atm is shocking

I disagree.... It just needs someone who knows how to operate it.

When CD was doing the announcing - especially from the touchline using a radio mike, it was as clear as a bell.

Edited by Johnboy
  • Disagree 1

it may be damaged now though obviously the speakers will blow easier with the demands of getting every one in the stadium to hear it.

its just a thought i havnt been at the pre season games but its just a thought if the sound is crackly

The reason it sounds crackly is because a) the volume it too high and b) the person speaking it too close to the microphone.

• Agree 1

I think they've had some bother with the system recently,it packed in before the CIS cup game and still doesn't exactly seem to be working too great.The volume yesterday was a joke though. :107:

To be fair to whoever did the announcements yesterday, some of the Antwerp names were a bit of a mouthfull, but if he improves a bit he'll do alright.

I dont really see the need for the announcer to have a big personality or to try and gee up the crowd, most of the time it ends up cringeworthy, anyway, injecting some atmosphere into the TCS would stretch even the best comedians.Someone who just tells me the teams, the 50/50 draw and latest scores elsewhere in a clear manner would do just fine, its the football i go to see.

To be honest mate, i think its out of order saying he is an embarrassment to the club. He is probably a Caley fan like me and you. Give him a break.

End of the day, we come to watch football, not listen to a Fecking PA system. Fair enough, could be better but its not. Lets not moan.

• Agree 2

I think they've had some bother with the system recently,it packed in before the CIS cup game and still doesn't exactly seem to be working too great.The volume yesterday was a joke though. :107:

To be fair to whoever did the announcements yesterday, some of the Antwerp names were a bit of a mouthfull, but if he improves a bit he'll do alright.

I dont really see the need for the announcer to have a big personality or to try and gee up the crowd, most of the time it ends up cringeworthy, anyway, injecting some atmosphere into the TCS would stretch even the best comedians.Someone who just tells me the teams, the 50/50 draw and latest scores elsewhere in a clear manner would do just fine, its the football i go to see.

totally agreed we invernesians are one of the worst in scotland to get gee'd up we just laugh it off and its done far too lazy

To be honest mate, i think its out of order saying he is an embarrassment to the club. He is probably a Caley fan like me and you. Give him a break.

End of the day, we come to watch football, not listen to a Fecking PA system. Fair enough, could be better but its not. Lets not moan.

Spot on

Its way OTT to say its an embarassment to the club that our new announcer is finding his feet. Give him a chance!!

I was unaware of the problem with the PA.

I am totally in agreement with what you say.

Spot on

Its way OTT to say its an embarassment to the club that our new announcer is finding his feet. Give him a chance!!

Best of luck to him on Saturday. It seems that the Celtic game is bigger than imagined. "TV stations in more than 40 countries have booked coverage of Tel's Boys against Neil's Bhoys. This will be via either live viewing or a highlights package."

http://www.ictfc.co....2208825_2115499

Yes i cant appreciate that saturday was not ideal but sitting in the main stand if you cant see the number of the player coming off especially when there is no board, give him a few weeks to adjust his sounds to the system and bed in with his unfamiliar surroundings.

• Agree 1

Yesterday, the announcer was an embarrassment to the club. Whilst I can appreciate that some of the names for the Royal Antwerp team were difficult to pronounce, pregnant pauses do not create the right image for the club. Reading out the home team players also presented a problem.

To add to this, the announcer has the volume too high and he has the microphone too close. As a result, it is very loud and some sounds are distorted to the extent they cannot be understood.

I think we need a professional person to do the announcing. Someone who can sound interesting, has a clear voice and knows how to use a public address system. If the person we had yesterday is the person who is going to do the announcing for the rest of the season, we need a new announcer.

One idea would be to give media college students the opportunity to be an announcer. This could involve a relationship between ICT and a university. Being an announcer would give the student a means of gaining practical experience.

What are your views?

Hiya CaleyD! *waves to CaleyD*

Having never ventured into that territory I cannot say how easy or how difficult it is to operate the ICT PA system, but I do remember CaleyD telling me it was - to be diplomatic - "not ideal" and that he had to tweak and adjust things all the time...... and even when he got it right, the next week the same settings would have a different effect and he had to tinker again !!!!

Don had the benefit of being able to come on here, listen to what you guys said and adjust the system accordingly. The fact he had been a DJ for a number of years also allowed him to tweak things a little better to suit the surroundings as he had spent quite a few years trying to make his own equipment work in various locations that were maybe not quite acoustically perfect.

I know that the club are aware of the failings of the system, but I don't know if they are in the position to do anything about it. If it packs in again though - like it did before the QP game - then their hand may be forced as a working and reliable PA system is part of the stadium criteria from UEFA and I am sure there would also be Health and Safety ramifications as it would be required should there be a need for an evacuation or emergency announcement.

As for the announcer himself - give the guy a chance !!! I have no idea who it is, but perhaps some constructive criticism rather than "we need a new announcer" might be more productive ? Were you perfect in the first week or two any time you were doing a new job ?

Lets get behind the team, lets get behind the staff, lets get behind each other and urge everyone on against the real enemy ...... every opposition team that comes a calling at the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium !!!!!

• Agree 1

As for the announcer himself - give the guy a chance !!! I have no idea who it is, but perhaps some constructive criticism rather than "we need a new announcer" might be more productive ? Were you perfect in the first week or two any time you were doing a new job ?

Lets get behind the team, lets get behind the staff, lets get behind each other and urge everyone on against the real enemy ...... every opposition team that comes a calling at the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium !!!!!

Couldnt agree more. Well said!

Couldnt agree more. Well said!

On the subject of CaleyD....where's he hiding?

What do people want from the PA? All I am normally interested in at half time is the other scores from Scotland and the EPL, some music and maybe some light hearted entertainment like we had with taking penalties against Jim Calder.