Singing Section

For God's sake, Scotty can we put an end to this? We've been through all of this tosh time and time again merely supplying a vehicle for others to go trolling (Andy M here, specifically) References to "section gumbo" etc. just reinforce it. My lad is in Section G. He's as gallus and loud as any of them, and even he was aware of the OTT nature of stuff on saturday, and for a need to tone it down. So they can and do learn from mistakes made. I've told him that if there's any nonsense, he gets hauled back to the family section PDQ where he can listen to his father rant. That's how behaviour is modified, not by Im offended/ I'm not offended/ I don't object to swearing/ I do object to swearing circular arguments that are singularly directed at alienating one group. There is no criticism here of your right to put your opinion forward, but there is of masquerading that opinion as fact and therefore not to be argued with. That is what forums like this are all about.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

For God's sake, Scotty can we put an end to this? We've been through all of this tosh time and time again merely supplying a vehicle for others to go trolling (Andy M here, specifically) References to "section gumbo" etc. just reinforce it. My lad is in Section G. He's as gallus and loud as any of them, and even he was aware of the OTT nature of stuff on saturday, and for a need to tone it down. So they can and do learn from mistakes made. I've told him that if there's any nonsense, he gets hauled back to the family section PDQ where he can listen to his father rant. That's how behaviour is modified, not by Im offended/ I'm not offended/ I don't object to swearing/ I do object to swearing circular arguments that are singularly directed at alienating one group. There is no criticism here of your right to put your opinion forward, but there is of masquerading that opinion as fact and therefore not to be argued with. That is what forums like this are all about.

Why have you not hauled your lad back to the family section for the paedo chants then? Is it to give him and his mates another chance to go over the top again so that they can learn a valuable lesson when the national press pick up on the behaviour of our fans?

Gumbo I am loving that picture you have posted, you and your wee quirks make it very hard for me to hold any other psuedo hooligan in such a high regard as I do you. Should you not be on duty at the pickle factory though?

FAHKIN love you Gumbo.

GumboI am loving that picture you have posted, you and your wee quirks make it very hard for me to hold any other psuedo hooligan in such a high regard as I do you. Should you not be on duty at the pickle factory though?

FAHKIN love you Gumbo.

:sleep: Your 'patter' is getting extremely tiresome. DC's fishing attempts are laughable as well.. :laugh: Good effort.

Nail was firmly hit on the head with Taffy's picture though.

• Agree 2

GumboI am loving that picture you have posted, you and your wee quirks make it very hard for me to hold any other psuedo hooligan in such a high regard as I do you. Should you not be on duty at the pickle factory though?

FAHKIN love you Gumbo.

:sleep: Your 'patter' is getting extremely tiresome. DC's fishing attempts are laughable as well.. :laugh: Good effort.

The thing that speaks loudest for me is that there aren't many people, maybe none at all from Section G posting on this thread.

Although IHE must be smug as feck with all the fish he has been catching this weather.

Edited by Taffy

For God's sake, Scotty can we put an end to this?

Mods are watching the thread and it is for them to decide to leave it open or to close it. Some of the "banter" is coming close to abuse IMHO but as yet not a single person has made a complaint about this thread using the report button ....... so we wait and watch until such time as one of the mods feels it has gone too far or until a legitimate complaint is made, discussed and acted upon.

Having only sat in the North Stand once, I cant really comment on 'section G' or the lads within the group that are singing. I know they have courted controversy on more than one occasion and also had run-ins with stewards, police and during his tenure, Mike Smith. sometimes they were justifiably targetted because they overstepped the mark, and they have to realise and hold their hands up to this. however at other times - and i did see this with my own eyes on one of my trips home - they were picked on for no apparent reason other than they were easy targets for the stewards and others need to give them the benefit of the doubt on this.

However, having read through this entire thread (not just one or two posts) I would make the following comments ....

Trying to get a singing section on the go started years ago, probably long before many of the current 'singers' were even in primary school !!! The problem then - as it is now - seems to be location. In the days of terracing it was not so much of a problem as people could move about and/or congregate in various areas, but with all seated stadia its a lot harder and efforts to designate sections for singing have failed for multiple reasons - Initially, when a singing section was proposed and people were encouraged to ask for tickets in a specific part of the ground (before the west stand idea) there was little or no uptake by the singers so it failed. It reared its head again when AS was chairman and the West Stand idea was born. It was a decent idea in principle but had shabby implementation/rules and facilites (a ridiculous entry criteria/method and no roof etc to help intensify the sound and protect the singers from the elements).

Now we have a situation where we have the family section right next to the section where the singers have decided they prefer to congregate and where other fans also want to sit in peace in seats they have occupied for years - in that scenario there is no way everyone is going to be kept happy with any decision of the club. Emotions will always run high in discussing this as each group jockeys for position. Parents - who may not be too bothered by their kids hearing the odd swear word - are rightly concerned that their kids are not protected from the worst of the language even though they have chosen to buy tickets in a supposedly 'family' area. That concern is a reasonable reaction. The singers are concerned that they are being stigmatised and picked upon and they can show specific examples of where this has actually been the case. and the others in that stand who may have sat in their seats for years are also baulking at some suggestions that things could be improved by moving people around. Again, I have no problem with that as when I had a season ticket it took me two years of moving around various parts of the main stand to figure out what seat I wanted and I would have resisted moving from that seat tooth and nail as I reckoned they were the best seats in the ground (hell, I even transferred my season ticket seat to Big Stew's dad when I moved over here so he could get into that area).

So given that there is no prospect of pleasing everyone if you implement a single solution then maybe the answer is to compromise a little ......

1. The singers need to tone down the offensive stuff. 'F'ing and 'C'ing is not big nor clever and doing it constantly will just alienate more folk than it embraces. It will also make it harder for people outside your group to spring to your defence or even to join you in trying to create an atmosphere. You can portray yourselves as victims as much as you like, and disagree with those giving you this kind of advice but if you are to have any credibility and gain any traction in your quest to get others to join you then you have to do it. I sit in a crowd of 20,000+ every other week at TFC and right slap bang in the middle of the supporters section which is 100 times more boisterous than the TCS has ever been. the songs/chants can be near the knuckle at times but they stay on the right side of the line ... As each TFC game is broadcast live on TV across the US and Canada the club would be down on us like a ton of bricks if we pushed it too far !!!

2. The family section punters need to realise they are at a football match and not a church. I realise that the vast majority of people in there are accepting of the odd bit of bad language because of this, but if you dont want to hear any bad language, then I am sorry, Scottish football is not for you. However, they are correct in being upset at extreme and sustained bad language right next to the family area.

3. The quiet ones who just want to sit in their normal seats and enjoy the game should be allowed to do so .... However, perhaps the club could work with the singers to find suitable areas within the North Stand to accomodate the singers without affecting those people? We have 7753 seats and only a fraction of them are held by season ticket holders so it should not be difficult to find an area where the current crop of singers can be accommodated without moving any people at all - or maybe only a few (if they agree). Terry Butcher has appealed more than once for some noise from the home crowd so perhaps some people - if asked to move - could view it as doing a selfless task to help the team achieve what TB thinks they can if given the vocal backing he has asked for ?

Oh ..... and bring back "safe standing areas" !!!!!!

Thank you Scotty, just what I was trying to say. If everyone who has had a pop at me would care to look back at my first post on this subject it was as follows,

Myself, my wife and our kids have had the same seats for years now in the family section. We do not object to the singing no matter how close to the bone it gets, that is football and we do not wrap our kids up in cotton wool. If anyone needs to move it is the singers, there are season ticket holders all over the stadium who's seats have been protected since long before the singing section decided to congregate in any area. The singers must realise that, as much as they are welcomed by people like my family, if there are any problems it is themselves who have to compromise in order for everyone to be happy. At first the west stand area was to be left as unreserved seating but this did not suit the singers as the lack of a roof did not create the atmosphere they wanted, the singers chose to sit beside the family section, not the other way about.

How about the singing section just leave the controversial songs out of their set list? That means everyone could be happy.

I was only trying to get the point across to people like Kilda who think that the family section should be moved to accommodate excessive behaviour that this viewpoint is wrong, it is the behaviour which needs to be brought back into line for the singers to remain in the place they are. 99% of the time there is no problem but now and again there is, if it comes to the stage when action has to be taken then it should be taken against those who are causing the problem.

I wish people would read the full posts and threads on this forum before making a comment themselves then I would not feel the need to lower myself to their intellect, never mind Gumbo and his band of followers can carry on as they wish.

FAHKIN love you Gumbo.

The thing that speaks loudest for me is that there aren't many people, maybe none at all from Section G posting on this thread.

Although IHE must be smug as feck with all the fish he has been catching this weather.

I'm from section G and I have posted several times, I don't think many of the guys at the back use this forum anymore, mainly due to ridiculous wind up threads like this. Whatever happened to slap on the wrist don't do it again, instead we have multi-paragraphed rants and childish bickering between adults?! And us young 'uns are supposed to be the ones acting like kids?

• Agree 1

I'm from section G and I have posted several times, I don't think many of the guys at the back use this forum anymore, mainly due to ridiculous wind up threads like this. Whatever happened to slap on the wrist don't do it again, instead we have multi-paragraphed rants and childish bickering between adults?! And us young 'uns are supposed to be the ones acting like kids?

Sorry to get involved again, you guys really do improve the atmosphere as far as I am concerned and are a welcome part of the crowd, but how many slaps do you need on the wrist? There have been bans handed out to some of you, some of your number have ended up in court (wrongly but the sheriff did state that he had no doubt sectarian songs were sung that day ) I would have thought that this would be warning enough that you are pushing it. Recently your behaviour has been without fault, until the Dougie Imrie stuff, can you guys not just toe the line all the time?

Sorry to get involved again, you guys really do improve the atmosphere as far as I am concerned and are a welcome part of the crowd, but how many slaps do you need on the wrist? There have been bans handed out to some of you, some of your number have ended up in court (wrongly but the sheriff did state that he had no doubt sectarian songs were sung that day ) I would have thought that this would be warning enough that you are pushing it. Recently your behaviour has been without fault, until the Dougie Imrie stuff, can you guys not just toe the line all the time?

It would be a wonderful world if everyone could behave impeccably all the time, having taught children and worked as a youth worker trust me when I say this would be great. However this is the real word in the heat of the moment people (adults and children included) can do and say silly things. I presume you have a child you take to the games as you sit in the family section, do they not ever misbehave even if it is out of character (1% of the time) but going on and on about it seems like an over-reaction to me. The songs were naughty lets move on and get behind the team together - cuddles all round!

:ictscarf:

It would be a wonderful world if everyone could behave impeccably all the time, having taught children and worked as a youth worker trust me when I say this would be great. However this is the real word in the heat of the moment people (adults and children included) can do and say silly things. I presume you have a child you take to the games as you sit in the family section, do they not ever misbehave even if it is out of character (1% of the time) but going on and on about it seems like an over-reaction to me. The songs were naughty lets move on and get behind the team together - cuddles all round!

:ictscarf:

Fair enough, the guys know what they have done, they know they have acted unacceptably again, how they perform from now is their business.

A lot of the section gumbo crowd are new fans to ICT and maybe they just need educated in what is acceptable as banter and what crosses the line .

You think if we use the "Section Gumbo" thing enough it will catch on? I might just have to join pie and bovril and have a wee word with the County fans and Caledonian108 they should help the cause.

A lot of the section gumbo crowd are new fans to ICT and maybe they just need educated in what is acceptable as banter and what crosses the line .

You think if we use the "Section Gumbo" thing enough it will catch on? I might just have to join pie and bovril and have a wee word with the County fans and Caledonian108 they should help the cause.

:twothumbsup: Sounds like a plan .

• Disagree 1

FAHKIN love you Gumbo.

What i meant was that some people on this thread seem to be trying to wage a war against Section G, rightly or wrongly i can't be fecked getting dragged into it. It's just the way that some people seem to be presuming that Section G lads are demanding people be moved and everything be done to accomodate them when actually hardly one person from the group has come on here and said anything at all. From reading how the thread started off to letters being sent to people it is in a sense Johndo at his wind up best.

For the most part I think the majority of people appreciate the efforts of those in and around Section G. I also think that we finally reached a certain level of understanding between that area and the club in regards to what was acceptable and what was crossing the line last season.

What I do worry about is that some within that group will seek to take the **** and push the limits to the point where it will be spoiled for everyone. A situation arose before where one or two were dragging the whole group down with their language and actions and it seems, from my own observations, that there's a danger of that happening again.

That is the main point, Section Gumbo have been fine up until Saturday but they seem to think they can get away with what they want, they can't there are laws to protect people who do not want to listen to the bile they are capable of.

My suggestion for those at the back of Section G....take heed of what has been said in regards such songs/chants and apply a bit of a sensibility check on yourselves before the club/stewards/police are forced to make an example of someone in order to get the point across and all the work that has been done in finding the happy medium is undone by one or two idiots.

They have not learned, even though people have been dragged through the courts, banned for chanting abuse at stewards and removed from the ground for failing to follow the regulations.

My suggestion for the (partially justified) dissenters....get some better fitting underwear and stop getting your knickers in a twist and/or blowing things out of proportion. One ill judged song/chant every once in a blue moon is not the end of the world or cause to tar a whole section of the support in the manner which you do. If you yourself are offended, then fair enough, speak up and let people know, but can we please stop with all this bollocks where you seem to get offended on behalf of others. Worry about yourself and if others are offended then leave it up to them to raise the matter themselves.

My suggestion is that section Gumbo stick within the rules, there is a complaint in the system now and I would expect that stewarding of matches would reflect this. As you said earlier concessions were made to section Gumbo so that they could create the atmosphere they want but these concessions, which bend the stadium rules, were not enough for them and they want to push the boundaries as far as possible. Section Gumbo do not run the stadium, they are not the only fans there, everyone else obeys the rules and so should they. There has already been one complaint made due to the attitude of people on here when concerns were raised why would anyone consider speaking up now to have their concerns ridiculed like mine were? No more speaking up here, straight to the club to complain now I think.

I think we have all missed the point about you being without sin oh great one. I humbly apologise.

• Agree 1

And for the record Andy, you are saying that we are young and will not learn from our mistakes.... Says the one who is acting most like a child on this whole forum by refering to us as "Gumbo"

A little growning up is in need and this is coming from someone who has posted some real pish in his time.

And for the record Andy, you are saying that we are young and will not learn from our mistakes.... Says the one who is acting most like a child on this whole forum by refering to us as "Gumbo"

A little growning up is in need and this is coming from someone who has posted some real pish in his time.

Aint that the truth :nanananana:

Aint that the truth :nanananana:

To say the least :lol:

Section G is like a kids version of the Howden end. The fact that it's left to a bunch of high schoolers to sit behind the goals and create an atmosphere is a sad indictment on our home support. It's hardly suprising that the result is at times crude and childish.

Most who start the songs in Section G are in their early 20's as are a lot of those who sing at games these days. And that goes for the majority of clubs.

Section G is like a kids version of the Howden end. The fact that it's left to a bunch of high schoolers to sit behind the goals and create an atmosphere is a sad indictment on our home support. It's hardly suprising that the result is at times crude and childish.

Thats spot on :thumbup:

Green dot en route .

Edited by DALNEIGHCALEY

:twothumbsup: Sounds like a plan .

Im confused who the kids on this forum are :laugh:

• Agree 1