Throw-Ins

ICTFCkev

A few seasons ago Grant Munro had the longest throw in the SPL, and it was a good tactic to get him launching a ball into the penalty area getting us one or two goals IIRC.

Noticed against Hamilton we always resort to a short throw now, which is usually given to one of our relatively lightweight wingers who are crowded out the opposing team and it results in nothing.

Maybe not everytime, but in situations like Saturday when we're a goal down with a few minutes to go, it would be far more beneficial to get Granty on it and get a ball into the box rather than playing it short and into they're corner like we did.

May have missed it if Grant has had any injuries preventing this, and apologies if that is the case.

Discuss.

That would be a help. Almost every throw in is done in a slow and unchanging way. The thrower in is given very little choice though by an apparent lack of desire by our midfielders to receive the ball. You can see half of them wandering around aimlessly looking at their feet or worse not looking during nearly every throw in, its as if they have no desire for the ball.

I saw Hayes take a quick throw in on Saturday which appeared to be effective but normally the first player to get his hands on the ball just passes it to the full back who then only looks in one direction waits an age and throws the ball to a winger. Opposition teams soon suss this out and some pressure is taken off them.

In short we have to get more players in different positions looking for the ball, the person taking the throw in to have an occasional look around and for the throw in to be quickly taken, more regularly, by the first person to receive the ball. Every little helps when trying to wrong foot our opponents.

Aye it doesn't help at the moment that we've got 2 small wingers who just get crowded out and it's far too easy to defend against. Got to get someone launching the ball into the box when it's deep in their territory.

I complained about the standard of our throw ins at some point last season but people just kicked sand in my face. Golly was taking most of them and we lost the ball most times. We are still losing 80% of all our throw ins. We would be just as well handing the ball to the opposition.

Bring back a bit of variety.

What I don't understand is why there aren't other players who can throw the ball more than 5 yards. I appreciate that not many can throw as far as Grant used to but even 10 yards short of that would be useful from time to time. It really isn't that difficult and if for some reason nobody knows how to throw a ball maybe they should have some serious training in how to do it. Current standard of throw is probably better in the Inverness ladies team and the number of times we lose possession from a throw when in an attacking position is pathetic.

Say what u like about Lionel - and u probably will! - but at least he was good at throw ins. We are woeful at throw ins and the majority of times it ends up with the opposition. Did Granty have a back problem at one point which stopped him taking these?

Yeah, not a huge fan of these low short throws. I noticed on Saturday that Proctor continually just threw it to Hayes even when he was marked by two players.

Yep, I noticed that too. Not just marked by two but crowded into the touchline by them. Beating two defenders is commonplace for Hayes, but a bit of variety, and especially movement, at throw in time, would be a great thing.

Have been musing on the "why not use the Granty long throw as an option" for some time now. It appears to have gone completely whilst at one time it was practically our main weapon.

We do have the likes of Rooney to look for but our forward line and midfield are hardly skcrapers - but the long throw could and should be an option and tried at least 2-3 times in a game.

Lionel produced the most throw ups at TCS.