Wireless Issue

SMEE

To cut a long story short. My ex gave me an old laptop which wasnt firing up to try and get going for my wee boy. I got the OS (win xp) to fire up and thanx to fellow forum member (Tree) we have managed to get online and updated etc etc. The problem now is getting the wireless connection going. Anyone got an idea where to start with this problem? For the Record...the laptop is a Samsung P28. According to the Device manager, The driver should be SWL2700M, but trying to locate it is a nightmare.

If anyone technical could have a loonk here http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP01&prd_ia_cd=05012400&prd_mdl_cd=&prd_mdl_name=NP28&prd_ia_sub_class_cd=P and tell me if its anything off here i need. I have tried the Wireless LAN at 27Mb download....but it hasnt made any difference.

Any help muchly appreciated!

Cheers

You could try putting it on the net via wired lan and then visiting the windows update site and seeing if it will find a driver for you..

Whilst machine is on via wired lan, you could probably download some kind of freeware program (googles your friend here!, ) that identify the components in the laptop. It may be the case that the wireless card in the laptop has been swapped out for a different model than the swl2700m you think it has, hence why it won't install driver. Thinking about it. I take it you can see the device as a ? in device manager?

I am thinking theres more to it than a driver issue. On the startup screen, it is coming up with a message saying " Resource Conflict - PCI Network Controller at slot 04

Bus:02, Device:03, Function: 00"

So am thinking thats maybe the problem. I was gonna open up the laptop, take the card out and pop it back in, just incase....but after taking the screws out, its not very willing to let me in. Im thinking of just getting a usb wireless adapter. would save a lot of hassle, althought my prefference would be to get the wireless going

I am thinking theres more to it than a driver issue. On the startup screen, it is coming up with a message saying " Resource Conflict - PCI Network Controller at slot 04

Bus:02, Device:03, Function: 00"

So am thinking thats maybe the problem. I was gonna open up the laptop, take the card out and pop it back in, just incase....but after taking the screws out, its not very willing to let me in. Im thinking of just getting a usb wireless adapter. would save a lot of hassle, althought my prefference would be to get the wireless going

Might be worth resetting the BIOS back to factory defaults or indeed finding out if there's a more up to date BIOS available than what's currently on the ROM chip.