FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

State of Scottish Football

SMEE

Heres my question.....if you were in charge of solving the problem with the state of Scottish footbal, what steps would you take?

There has to be problems when 1st choice centre half is a 40 yr old cart horse. So, what areas would you begin with. What do you see as the problem? As far as i know, Scotland isnt prone any more than any other country to any specific problems. So...discuss

Edited by SMEE

"The state of Scottish football"

As in, top of our qualifying group, unbeaten?

I know what you mean, we aren't very good at club or international level. The reality is we are a small fish in a big pond. From about 1960 to 1990 Scotland punched above their weight, perhaps helped by the fact that an awful lot of countries weren't nearly as serious about football as we always have been. I remember in the 1980s countries like Greece and Turkey would get rogered 6-0. But they quickly caught up.

As a small country, once or twice in a generation we will get a handful of top class players and the right manager, and get some success. Over the years the likes of Belgium, Hungary, Norway, Croatia, Bulgaria, Ireland, Sweden and Denmark have all had their moments, then usually reverted back to their natural position in world football. Ours is probably 40th-50th in the FIFA rankings, just outside qualification for tournaments. Once in a while we'll get there, but to have any expectation of success is just asking for disappointment if you ask me.

I know what you mean, we aren't very good at club or international level. The reality is we are a small fish in a big pond. From about 1960 to 1990 Scotland punched above their weight, perhaps helped by the fact that an awful lot of countries weren't nearly as serious about football as we always have been. I remember in the 1980s countries like Greece and Turkey would get rogered 6-0. But they quickly caught up.

As a small country, once or twice in a generation we will get a handful of top class players and the right manager, and get some success. Over the years the likes of Belgium, Hungary, Norway, Croatia, Bulgaria, Ireland, Sweden and Denmark have all had their moments, then usually reverted back to their natural position in world football. Ours is probably 40th-50th in the FIFA rankings, just outside qualification for tournaments. Once in a while we'll get there, but to have any expectation of success is just asking for disappointment if you ask me.

John Robertson, with his "little bit of magic is all that's required". Maybe pick Harry Potter instead of Barry Robson then!

You make a fair point but i would still think Scotland would be able to comfortably beat the two teams we just played. Well done to Lithuania for putting us in an excellent position now after beating the Czechs on their own soil.

In the last few years, Liechtenstein have had wins against Latvia and Iceland, and draws with Portugal and Slovakia - results which Scotland would have been delighted with!

And Lithuania's win in the Czech R last night indicates that our away draw wasn't a bad result.

I never expect Scotland to "comfortably beat" anyone!

• Agree 1

I reckon we are at our lowest ebb right now. Lack of real quality and no leadership.

What's the answer? I don't know, there is a long list of objectives that need to be prioritised and rectified before we drop even further. We are a footballing embarrassment, and it goes right through the whole system. I lost the urge years ago to get enthusiastic over Scotland games. I still try and watch them, but the excitement has gone.

Very few Scottish players in the top English teams right now, that was always the benchmark, now we pick them from Scottish clubs or Championship sides at best..........says it all really, bring on the local footy.

• Disagree 1

I partly agree but not wholly. Is our league structured properly? Does our season extend over the right months? Is the SFA conducive to the changes required? So, yeah, we shouldn't have the expectations we had in the 1970s but we're also damaging our game by these conditions. We could be better. Not world beaters but certainly better (and that definitely includes at the local level too).

In the last few years, Liechtenstein have had wins against Latvia and Iceland, and draws with Portugal and Slovakia - results which Scotland would have been delighted with!

And Lithuania's win in the Czech R last night indicates that our away draw wasn't a bad result.

I never expect Scotland to "comfortably beat" anyone!

Exactly. It always seems to be the so called lesser nations that we stumble past or get embarassed by. yes we should have played a hell of a lot better than we did. BUT top of the group by goals scored although Spain will pass us when they play the game in hand they have over us. Frankly lets not have delusions of where we are in the world of football and be happy with 4pts

Heres my question.....if you were in charge of solving the problem with the state of Scottish footbal, what steps would you take?

There has to be problems when 1st choice centre half is a 40 yr old cart horse. So, what areas would you begin with. What do you see as the problem? As far as i know, Scotland isnt prone any more than any other country to any specific problems. So...discuss

SMEE - Have advocated the following solution in the past and think it is truly the only way forward for Scotland in the future if we are to have any chance of qualifying for World Cup Finals or European Championships --

Create a North Atlantic qualifying region consisting of Iceland, Faeroe Islands, Greenland ( assist/fund them to enter as a full FIFA rep ), Northern Ireland and Scotland. Top two teams in the group qualify for any finals. This puts us up against countries/competition very similar in capability and aspiration to our own levels. This would give us a genuine opportunity to qualify for finals in the future, where we can then be absolutely tanked by all the other finalists.

The other alternative is to create separate competitions for genuine third rate teams like Scotland - so we have a chance to win a little trophy and some medals

SMEE - Have advocated the following solution in the past and think it is truly the only way forward for Scotland in the future if we are to have any chance of qualifying for World Cup Finals or European Championships --

Create a North Atlantic qualifying region consisting of Iceland, Faeroe Islands, Greenland ( assist/fund them to enter as a full FIFA rep ), Northern Ireland and Scotland. Top two teams in the group qualify for any finals. This puts us up against countries/competition very similar in capability and aspiration to our own levels. This would give us a genuine opportunity to qualify for finals in the future, where we can then be absolutely tanked by all the other finalists.

The other alternative is to create separate competitions for genuine third rate teams like Scotland - so we have a chance to win a little trophy and some medals

Or due to the amount of European countries these days we enhance the tournament to 24 teams and have extra teams qualifying. We would then have a better chance of qualifying and then getting absolutely humped at the tournament.

Or due to the amount of European countries these days we enhance the tournament to 24 teams and have extra teams qualifying. We would then have a better chance of qualifying and then getting absolutely humped at the tournament.

That is by far the most sensible suggestion. I can't really see EUFA jumping on the North Atlantic qualifying region idea. That would be like having a European SPL type structure, a set up where only two teams have realistic chance of qualifying.

Also I object to the term third rate, we are second rate and proud.:whistle:

Create a North Atlantic qualifying region consisting of Iceland, Faeroe Islands, Greenland, Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Could we maybe add Rockall too, just to reduce the chances of us finishing bottom?

Because we always do so well against the minnows :tongueincheek:

That's what they are doing. From 2012 the Euros will have 24 teams in it. So it will be harder not to qualify from then on!