Easter Road Stewards

Bridge_Ender

Unbelievable. Still cant quite believe the stewarding yesterday. The woman steward with the glasses was just a jumped up little jobsworth in my opinion. She told the lads along from me that if they answered her back in anyway ie asked for clarification they would be ejected. I thought we lived in a free country. Then on her way back along the line she told highlandexile to "let her past" even though she had just told everyone to sit down. So we all have to stand up and let her past but not at any other times.

by the second half the steward at the end of my row looked about 15 and couldnt even say bo to a goose. As for the catcalling at the stewards well by that time it was no more than they deserved.

no fun anymore in football and wont be in a hurry to pay Hibs FC ?46 for the "pleasure" of being treated like something on someones shoe.

good on the Hibs fans for sticking up for us nice one lads!

• Agree 1

Really again! I want to make this clear. What do you expect if you "decribe" as you put it. a steward, a copper any man doing his job. If I was working and a customer didnt agree with what the process was and the proceeded to say to me "Mock mock mock" I would ask him to leave and make it clear to him he cant speak to me like that. SIMPLE! No matter the rule. If you agree or dont agree. Be intelligent. Im not here to condemn fans actions im just saying be wise.

:bullshit:

This was not a man doing his job but an odious bully waiting for an excuse.. Yes the fans in question were pushing at the boundaries but the reaction of the stewards and the police was and I want to make this clear, over the top.

You have one thing right. It was over the top. But my point stands, Dont give them an excuse. I Have been schooled enough to know when to sit down a shut up. Unless very drunk ;)

If we go down the road you are advocating here all football games, excepting those containing a large uncouth and uncontrollable fan group will become totally silent with a few ageing fans politely applauding randomly from time to time. A very unattractive prospect indeed.

Football requires some atmosphere to attract fans and the type of support given by the vast majority of our young fans should be encouraged and not over policed.

It is not our fans who were in the wrong here, it was the stewarding of the crowd that was offencive.

I dont want to be in a world where you have to sit down and say nothing at a match. My point is I will shout, scream, swear and stand till I get told not too. Then when the yellow bellys go back down to ground zero. Im back up calling someone a junkie bast! Your clutching at straws!

• Disagree 1

did group 4 stewards have sia licence on them bye law they have to have one on if not phone the sia licence head office on them

:ponder:

The ones that did the throwing out in the second half certainly did.

As I said in my earlier post, I wasn't in the stand for the first half.

It seems that everyone is in agreement that the ICT fans did very little to merit such attention from Lothian & Borders finest and G4S.

I'm not sure how this would be taken further, or whether it would do any good, but it seems like the sort of issue that either the Supporters Club or Supporters Trust should be making comment on and requesting clarification from Hibs, at the very least, as to why these measures were taken and why supporters were treated so. Individual emails are easy to ignore but one from a supporters group surely has to be taken more seriously? It's becoming an all to regular occurrence and as others have agreed, is fast becoming an issue that stops people from attending matches.

Is there anyone on here from either group that agrees their organisation should be backing up the ICT supporters who were ejected yesterday and would like to follow that up?

• Agree 1

This is one of the reasons why I can't be bothered with going to SPL (away) games. The thought of the 600+ miles round trip, paying ?20+ to get in and then to be treated like a 5 year old kind of puts me off a little.

...that is worrying! I agree 100% by the way but if dedicated fans like you are switching off then we're on a slide.

The stewards, and to an extent, the polis approach to the ICT travelling support is well-documented of course. We're a smaller bunch (pound for pound probably noisier!!) and, not coming from the big rough sweary sectarian cities, we're easy game for the power-confused. Give a man a high-viz uniform and watch the true character surface.

But Gringo, my advice (like you asked for it!) is to look at it like the weather, it pisses (nowt I can do about it), it's bollock-freezing (nowt I can do about it), the referee is a tool (nowt I can do about it)...the stewards? (nowt I can do about it). But the sheer thrill of seeing our lads give these knobend clubs a game absolutely rides roughshod over the many drawbacks. The sensible post-match DU fans and a Hibee father overheard yesterday saying "that's a tough side to break down" to his son as we walked back to the car...that's the reason, that's the choice you make!

Don't give up please. The Gringo clan would be badly missed.

By the way, I'm commuting from Rotterdam...your move! :biggrin:

• Agree 2

Has anyone seen the Immortal One, since yesterday?

Stayed in Livi overnight but here actually is a very serious post - The stewarding yesterday can only be described as disgusting and if repeated against other teams of our ilk will lead to many supports avoiding the likes of Easter Road and will drive many fans away from the game altogether.

To say that my sarcastic post on the Sesh Army/Mob reunion led to Criminal Intelligence making this a more policed game - are you feckin serious !! Read it again - it was an obvious **** take.

I actually was quite fecked off with all the crap that was going on around me and I was probably quieter and sitting down more than I have been at a game fer many years. I got so fed up that I went over to the cops and what I said was to the effect that the presence of the police and the stewards were simply making things worse. I said that we were not being specifically offensive or abusive and neither were we causing any specific Health and safety hazard. The copper said that they didnt want to be there but had been directed to. I suggested to the police that if I could get the support to sit down fer the five to ten minutes before half time that the surveillance could stop. He went on his radio and said "Go on give it a try". That is why I went back and the young lads did listen. But the stewards kept on moving in as soon as anyone stood up no matter for what reason - so (perhaps stoopidly and impulsively) i started the bouncee song, bounced and sat down.

At half time I was going to the bogs but saw Peter Paul in "deep conversation" with two of the stewrads. When I tried to butt in the female said that they wanted to speak with me anyway and asked me to go to the side of the stand - I asked her several times as to what reason but she declined to answer and then she and her turban wearing mate started trying to manouevre me to which I actually politely requested them not to. He acually aske me the question - "Do you not like me - are you a racist?" - my reply was "please dont be so ignorant".

They eventually took me outside and said that I had to leave - when I asked "why?" they said that I had been warned on several occasions - but I hadnt been approached or spoken to once" and when I challenged them as to the fact that I hadnt they said that the match controller had CCT evidence that i was the main person inciting the others to stand - despite the fact that I was sitting for most of the time !!

They then said that I had been pointed to the Match contoller by officials of my own club as being a "known troublemaker". They said that if I didnt leave immediately that they would have to get the police to arrest me. initially i asked if I could see the police but they upped the threat of arrest so I left.

As Gringo says - the SPL is crap whilst this stoopid rules and over zealous stewarding persists.

• Agree 1

It seems that everyone is in agreement that the ICT fans did very little to merit such attention from Lothian & Borders finest and G4S.

I'm not sure how this would be taken further, or whether it would do any good, but it seems like the sort of issue that either the Supporters Club or Supporters Trust should be making comment on and requesting clarification from Hibs, at the very least, as to why these measures were taken and why supporters were treated so. Individual emails are easy to ignore but one from a supporters group surely has to be taken more seriously? It's becoming an all to regular occurrence and as others have agreed, is fast becoming an issue that stops people from attending matches.

Is there anyone on here from either group that agrees their organisation should be backing up the ICT supporters who were ejected yesterday and would like to follow that up?

Supporters Trust e-mail is info@ictsupporterstrust.co.uk and the Trust mobile number is 07879221569. Feel free to get in touch or copy us into any e-mail you decide to send. I have already spoken to someone tonight about someone who was ejected and I'll certainly raise it with ICT in the morning to see if there is anything they can do.

Edited by L_G
  • Agree 1

Stayed in Livi overnight but here actually is a very serious post - The stewarding yesterday can only be described as disgusting and if repeated against other teams of our ilk will lead to many supports avoiding the likes of Easter Road and will drive many fans away from the game altogether.

To say that my sarcastic post on the Sesh Army/Mob reunion led to Criminal Intelligence making this a more policed game - are you feckin serious !! Read it again - it was an obvious **** take.

I actually was quite fecked off with all the crap that was going on around me and I was probably quieter and sitting down more than I have been at a game fer many years. I got so fed up that I went over to the cops and what I said was to the effect that the presence of the police and the stewards were simply making things worse. I said that we were not being specifically offensive or abusive and neither were we causing any specific Health and safety hazard. The copper said that they didnt want to be there but had been directed to. I suggested to the police that if I could get the support to sit down fer the five to ten minutes before half time that the surveillance could stop. He went on his radio and said "Go on give it a try". That is why I went back and the young lads did listen. But the stewards kept on moving in as soon as anyone stood up no matter for what reason - so (perhaps stoopidly and impulsively) i started the bouncee song, bounced and sat down.

At half time I was going to the bogs but saw Peter Paul in "deep conversation" with two of the stewrads. When I tried to butt in the female said that they wanted to speak with me anyway and asked me to go to the side of the stand - I asked her several times as to what reason but she declined to answer and then she and her turban wearing mate started trying to manouevre me to which I actually politely requested them not to. He acually aske me the question - "Do you not like me - are you a racist?" - my reply was "please dont be so ignorant".

They eventually took me outside and said that I had to leave - when I asked "why?" they said that I had been warned on several occasions - but I hadnt been approached or spoken to once" and when I challenged them as to the fact that I hadnt they said that the match controller had CCT evidence that i was the main person inciting the others to stand - despite the fact that I was sitting for most of the time !!

They then said that I had been pointed to the Match contoller by officials of my own club as being a "known troublemaker". They said that if I didnt leave immediately that they would have to get the police to arrest me. initially i asked if I could see the police but they upped the threat of arrest so I left.

As Gringo says - the SPL is crap whilst this stoopid rules and over zealous stewarding persists.

Spot on but we all know that nothing will be done about these power crazed, yellow jacketed scum that are ruining football for the majority.

Spot on but we all know that nothing will be done about these power crazed, yellow jacketed scum that are ruining football for the majority.

This is even more sinister. Does this possibly mean someone from the club has instigated the harrassment of one or all the fans yesterday? Using the L&B police and G4S under the guise of crowd control :ponder:

DD - I understand that this could have been a ploy of the Stewards as they were clearly finding it difficult to back up their decision to eject me - but it is not the first time that I have been "targetted".

As far as I am concerned I know that I am a drink sodden, immature, sometimes embarrasing old tatwt at games but at the end of the day - my alter ego on here is a deliberate wind up and most fo the peeple who I pissed off end up having a damn good drink wiv me - I am ICT to the core, I will follow and follow, I will sing and sing and sing - and encourage all others to follow suit. But football is a religion and should be an enjoyment. In my book the only thing that i do wrong is to stand up at a game.

And I am just like a growing throng of ICT supporters who travel around Scotland following their team - not to cause trouble and not to cause strife - but to have a feckin good day out and enjoy themselves - an Away support that could evelop in to the best craic around.

Feck the authorities - Lets feckin Rock Paisley

• Agree 1

They then said that I had been pointed to the Match contoller by officials of my own club as being a "known troublemaker".

If I were you I'd be asking ICT to confirm or deny that.

Honestly - is it worth it ?

I am determined to make a statement to the Police and I have the names of the two stewards - but should the Trust not be going to Hibs on our behalf ?

Supporters Trust e-mail is info@ictsupporterstrust.co.uk and the Trust mobile number is 07879221569. Feel free to get in touch or copy us into any e-mail you decide to send. I have already spoken to someone tonight about someone who was ejected and I'll certainly raise it with ICT in the morning to see if there is anything they can do.

Cheers L_G. Like I said in the post though, I don't believe individual complaints accomplish anything in these scenarios so I haven't bothered writing to Hibs. I wasn't ejected but I was threatened with arrest after our goal as I bumped into one of the Coppers who had filled the stairwell opposite us. Incredible... :ponder: When I pointed out he was in a position he shouldn't really be in, that their being there surely contravened H&S and that I was quite sure celebrating a goal still wasn't a criminal offence, he backed down and ignored me for what was left of the match. I'm someone who tends to support the Police in a lot of situations as I can appreciate that they have an impossible task a lot of the time, but yesterdays performance really was indefensible stupidity and rule no.1 in how to create a situation from nothing.

• Agree 1

in my opionion, the stewarding issue is the fundamental flaw which is hampering the scottish game at the international and european level. The equation is simple - good stewarding = better atmosphere = more attendance = more money = better facilities and better players and an all round better game.

Yesterdays antics by the lads in yellow were shocking. A steward stood on front of me to talk to someone behind me so i stood up to see the game - she threatened to thow me out and i explained she was a better door than a window and she should use her glasses to read the rule book. I wont be back to easter road, as i really want to support ICT at any cost but that yesterday was a final straw for me. Il go to all the grounds in the SPL and the best stewarding will dictate where i head next season provided we stay up.

Bring on the scottish cup and hopefully some terraces :)

I'm someone who tends to support the Police in a lot of situations as I can appreciate that they have an impossible task a lot of the time, but yesterdays performance really was indefensible stupidity and rule no.1 in how to create a situation from nothing.

Great comment - I totally agree - and with all the others who suggest over-zealous policing and stewarding will deter many decent fans from going to games.

They then said that I had been pointed to the Match contoller by officials of my own club as being a "known troublemaker".

If I were you I'd be asking ICT to confirm or deny that.

Honestly - is it worth it ?

I am determined to make a statement to the Police and I have the names of the two stewards - but should the Trust not be going to Hibs on our behalf ?

Your perfectly entitled to personally make a complaint to the police regarding this too, you are the one with the most accurate info and they will have to follow it up.

Our fans are boisterous and full of beans and bring a lot of life and entertainment to a day out.

I could understand being evicted for throwing objects, drunk and incapable (souldnt have been let in, in the first place though)aggressive behavior, vandalism or running on the pitch.

But standing too frequently ??? is bewildering.

Was anyones view restricted by people standing?,did anyone make a complaint in front for fear of their safety?? Has anyone been chucked out for standing at half time??? (whats the difference)

Now if you were to start a poll, I don't mean just on this site but start an independent one and put a link to it on every SPL teams forum inviting people to sign a petition regarding the overzealous stewarding at Easter Road, stating something like. I intend to boycott games at Easter road for this season due to overzealous stewarding and leave your name,Team and how much you would have paid for admission.

You could sent it in to ER in a month, something will get done when they start tallying up those potential figures.

That would make you feel a lot better, IHE.

From what I understand, they also have equipment belonging to John Paul that they took from him. In all, this sounds like an absolutely hideous experience at the hands of plod and the stewards. I recognise what people might think of "goading" them, but if you wear a high vis jacket, take the money from your employer and use it as an excuse to abuse people, expect a bit of stick in return. I really, really hope that this doesnae put off what is developing into a great away support. One thing, however, really disturbs me and that is any suggesting that a club official from ICT should point out known "trouble makers". To label Jondo such is risible.