Plurrsh.

Charles Bannerman

Heard in Marks and Spencer today -

"They've got twoo plurrsh un an a kupla plurrsh bock."

The gentleman was wearing a Celtic hat so I don't know if he was referring to the Hearts team news or not, but this was pure classic Sneck!

Which reminds me of what I once heard as the recorded message in the lift in Raigmore Hospital.

"Doarsh opneen.... doarsh klozeen!"

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Imagine that, Invernessian accents in Inverness.

What point are you trying to make Charles? It seems to me that you are holding up your heritage to ridicule. I for one am proud of mine.

For God's sake! Do PMF or DC have any imagination or originality at all in their thought?

I came to praise Caesar, not to bury him!

Or is that too obscure for you poor guys as well?

(Which, translated, means - Sorry you didn't quite manage to grasp the point boys!)

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Heard in Marks and Spencer today -

"They've got twoo plurrsh un an a kupla plurrsh bock."

The gentleman was wearing a Celtic hat so I don't know if he was referring to the Hearts team news or not, but this was pure classic Sneck!

Which reminds me of what I once heard as the recorded message in the lift in Raigmore Hospital.

"Doarsh opneen.... doarsh klozeen!"

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Why were you in Marks and Spencers on a Saturday, is Tesco Inshes still shut?

Imagine that, Invernessian accents in Inverness.

What point are you trying to make Charles? It seems to me that you are holding up your heritage to ridicule. I for one am proud of mine.

For God's sake! Do PMF or DC have any imagination or originality at all in their thought?

Thought? I see what you did there, very droll. In my defence I imagine you as a bald Ken Barlow. As for originality? Give me a break, the likes of you have been taking the p!ss out of our accent for decades which is boring and in trying to backtrack you are showing yourself up.

I came to praise Caesar, not to bury him!
Why then do you post drivel to praise Caesar? Is that what they teach in schools nowadays? Why the laughing smileys? When I praise someone or something I do not laugh at it out of context so do you consider it in context? What makes our accent so funny Charles?

Or is that too obscure for you poor guys as well?

(Which, translated, means - Sorry you didn't quite manage to grasp the point boys!)

I am embarassed on your behalf.

If I had grasped the point I wouldn't have asked what point you were trying to make, would I?

I fail to see why you posted this in "Olde Inverness", were there lifts in old Inverness or was there an M&S for that matter? This should be in "General Nonsense".

Edited by PullMyFinger
  • Disagree 1

What a shame never to be in a position to enjoy and celebrate the likes of the wonderful Inverness poem, written phonetically in the Sneck dialect, which appeared here on CTO a few years back nor indeed a gem like Stanley Baxter's "Parliamo Glasgow".

I am so sorry Charles, I must have misunderstood your first post. I must sign up for some ESP classes. In future, for the benefit of the scholistically challenged posters such as myself, would you please refrain from writing in riddles. It's all in the context, your post on it's own was derogatory all that was missing was a reference to the fenders on a Volvo.

The poem to which you refer may have been entertaining but to me your post was just inflammatory.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

na man I disagree

If we are allowed to rip it out the weedgies and the "fit like" lot then we have to laugh at ourselves too.

Ok he did it in an OH THE BANTER style but that's just his way. and if he wants to be posh that's his right, personally I'm not posh which is my right.

He was trying to have a laugh which I'm guessing is much needed with both of youse.

So get your thumb out of your arse pour a dram and put on Colin Campbell.

Oh, and I wear a kilt, what of it.

na man I disagree

If we are allowed to rip it out the weedgies and the "fit like" lot then we have to laugh at ourselves too.

Ok he did it in an OH THE BANTER style but that's just his way. and if he wants to be posh that's his right, personally I'm not posh which is my right.

He was trying to have a laugh which I'm guessing is much needed with both of youse.

So get your thumb out of your arse pour a dram and put on Colin Campbell.

Oh, and I wear a kilt, what of it.

I don't have an issue us with laughing at ourselves but the initial post wasn't in the slightest amusing was it? Colin Campbell is, Hector Brocklebank is and Scotland the What is.

That just wasn't and I still don't know what point he was trying to make.

There's laughing at yourself and there's mocking your heritage.

He couldn't be posh if he wore heels, a size 6 dress, a wig and makeup. :nanananana:

Edited by PullMyFinger

People who know me also know that I celebrate rather than criticise things like this. For instance in my latest book, there are passages of dialogue written specifically in the Sneck dialect. For the benefit of those who don't, use of the word "classic" in the OP was maybe a strong hint!

Oh come on, Charles..... You cannot be serious.

There surely can't be anyone living in Inverness , the Highlands, Scotland, United Kingdom, who doesn't know who you are!

Edited by Johnboy
  • Agree 1

Croylo

I was asking Chas whether he wore a kilt cos I know that all superior Sneckites wear the kilt and have an affected accent. Me? I have an accent affected by many ups and downs and a penniless past so I have nothing to lose. Even my virginity went sideways a century ago and after that it was all downhill.

And yes I did wear a kilt when I was in my early teens but only to please my mother. In these days my legs were thinnish but now they are...... well....nice, like.

How are your legs Croylo? Non-snobbish and a bit rough round the edges, eh?

Come on ! I'll bet you would look swell striding down Main Street in Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada. The ladies would be asking you for a date I am sure.The only other place where they can see many kilts at once is up at Simon Fraser University when their pipe band is practicing. Didn't win the Wor5ld Piping Championship this year I am sorry to say, but still a great band...aye! . Don't see too many kilts along this way, it's a working class town, really, and for some unknown reason I don't seem to quite fit in. Maybe that's because I am a closet snob and can't get away with an affected accent. Frankly, the whole atmosphere here is affecting me somewhat.Too much affectation I think. Hmmmm!

Lots of horse around here though. I saw a Llama in a field the other day, a squirrel in me back yard yesterday gathering acorns feverishly for the oncoming snowy conditions, a black bear padding around the back door at 3 a.m., a Blue Jay the size of Caley D's hands placed side by side, a raccon on the prowl, and, last but not least, a couple of Hummingbirds hovering over my pot of WHITE heather on the back deck which was quitean interesting experience.

Could you post a picture on here,please, Ploylo? I do like looking at pictures of leggy lovelies.......I am a lonely man and with all the action above described why should I worry about whether Charles is pleasing us all with his articulations. An articulated vehicle out here is a very long truck attached to a very long flatbed, or sumpin.Sometimes, to get over yer spat, yese just have to bury the hatchet and put the offending article onto the flatbed and just dump it in the desert.Very decisive and effeective ---or is that affective? Over and out Biggles.

Croylo, my dear boy. Never fear.Thou wilt get used to it.

And so long as you do not succumb to a wilt in the tilt in your kilt,there aint nuffink that you may be able to achieve.

Once you have been on here for as long as I have and shown the endurance required to stay the course , you will be allright. And a lot wiser to boot.

And if I am wrong, in your judgement, just go and ask Mr Bannerperson. He wilt telt thee.

:smile:

Croylo, my dear boy. Never fear.Thou wilt get used to it.

And so long as you do not succumb to a wilt in the tilt in your kilt,there aint nuffink that you may be able to achieve.

Once you have been on here for as long as I have and shown the endurance required to stay the course , you will be allright. And a lot wiser to boot.

And if I am wrong, in your judgement, just go and ask Mr Bannerperson. He wilt telt thee.

:smile:

Scarlet.... I do have to admit that there are times when I genuinely worry that you may have been reading too much Coleridge!

• Disagree 2

C B --Samuel or Methil?(The pit Manager was overheard to say 'there is cole in them thar ridges)

And Buckett--"Et tu , Brute. Oh woe is me , Oh Miserime. Iwill have you know that I am not religious but spiritual. How else did I get the very minute of an ICT goal correct two seasons ago? :slapme:

C B --Samuel or Methil?(The pit Manager was overheard to say 'there is cole in them thar ridges)

And Buckett--"Et tu , Brute. Oh woe is me , Oh Miserime. Iwill have you know that I am not religious but spiritual. How else did I get the very minute of an ICT goal correct two seasons ago? :slapme:

I've come a bit late to this conversation...but felt I had to defend Mr Bannerman just a litle bit, as I recall he can sound as Sneckie as the rest of us and he's spoken Sneckie on the wireless many a time, which is kind of brave in itself.

Having left Inverness a long time ago now, I appreciate all the more the fact that our accent is unique to us, and above all is not the ugly, rasping Glaswegian whine that most of Britain thinks all of Scotland speaks. But that doesn't mean we can't laugh at ourselves a little. You never hear Londoners treating "Cockerney" as funny - that's the arrogance of the Metropolis for you - but you will hear, for instance, Lenny Henry having a go at Brummie.

I know which approach I prefer.