How to install operating system onto pc

ICTBTTH

Oryt

I bought a pc of a friend for college and it has been set up as if it is being used in a network (i.e with windows log on screen etc) and i cant seem to get passed that. I dont have any of the Administrators passwords so cant login to set up the machine the way i want. I downloaded Windows XP of a legitimate windows website that i have access to through my college course and have put it on a CD Rom but when i put it the pc i do not get the option of loading from it. It is a new CD Drive as when i bought it there wasnt one and there is no error messages coming up on startup about it so that is leading me to think that it is not a fault with that. I have gone into the bios to try to change the Boot sequence so that it trys to boot from the CD Drive first but i do not get that option. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Oryt

I bought a pc of a friend for college and it has been set up as if it is being used in a network (i.e with windows log on screen etc) and i cant seem to get passed that. I dont have any of the Administrators passwords so cant login to set up the machine the way i want. I downloaded Windows XP of a legitimate windows website that i have access to through my college course and have put it on a CD Rom but when i put it the pc i do not get the option of loading from it. It is a new CD Drive as when i bought it there wasnt one and there is no error messages coming up on startup about it so that is leading me to think that it is not a fault with that. I have gone into the bios to try to change the Boot sequence so that it trys to boot from the CD Drive first but i do not get that option. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Are you certain that the CD is bootable? It could be that it's an upgrade only edition you have, therefore the installation needs to be kicked off in an older Windows environment, e.g. Win2k.

I used CDBurnerXP to make the CD so tbh not sure if it is bootable. Im waiting on a friend to send me a Windows cd he has to try that but if that does not work im not sure of what to do next. Would a password cracker run if it the pc is not logged into a profile at all? if so any recommendations as to what one to use?

Edited by ICTBTTH

I used CDBurnerXP to make the CD so tbh not sure if it is bootable. Im waiting on a friend to send me a Windows cd he has to try that but if that does not work im not sure of what to do next. Would a password cracker run if it the pc is not logged into a profile at all? if so any recommendations as to what one to use?

There are tools that'll do the job outwith the Windows environment. However if your booting to CD problem is with the physical CD/DVD drive you'll struggle to get a password cracker to work.

• 2 weeks later...

There are tools that'll do the job outwith the Windows environment. However if your booting to CD problem is with the physical CD/DVD drive you'll struggle to get a password cracker to work.

would i not be able to run one off a Pen drive or external hard drive for example?

Is there not a BIOS setting for the boot order, that might have set it up to book only from the hdd, you can Chang that to cd it'll boot it the cd is bootable. Also isn't there a back door on xp one of the f keys n you can log in as maintenance... correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there not a BIOS setting for the boot order, that might have set it up to book only from the hdd, you can Chang that to cd it'll boot it the cd is bootable. Also isn't there a back door on xp one of the f keys n you can log in as maintenance... correct me if I'm wrong.

You mean pressing F8 for the boot menu and booting to safe mode? :tongueincheek: