Matchnight Thread : Celtic -V- ICT

caleyrule

That was truly awful. 6-0 flattered us. The reasoning that St Mirren on Saturday is the priority is completely understandable, but a defeat that heavy could have a really adverse effect on confidence. Sutherland up front on his own looked completely out of his depth - beaten for strength and speed and not capable of holding the ball up. Surely it would have made sense to start Foran? We'd still have lost, but probably not as heavily: he would have retained possession better, created a little more and gained valuable game time ahead of Saturday.

Probably won't get the match report up until Friday morning, but I don't imagine it's one many people will want to read in any case. Not looking forward to going into work with 1500 Celtic supporters tomorrow...

We'd still have lost, but probably not as heavily

You're right, but in a knock-out cup the margin of defeat is irrelevant at the end of the day.

Feel sorry for you and all those who went to the game though.

True enough, but I was thinking about it more in terms of the potential effect on the players' confidence. Hopefully the hurt will make them more determined to do well against St Mirren.

At least I wasn't having to travel back up the A9 tonight. Still got kind of soggy on the walk back, mind.

I was gutted i had a gig in Edinburgh tonight before the draw was made and put us with Celtic tonight. Now getting pelted on my facebook because i said i would be missing history being made whilst i was at a gig and not the game......i was right, but the wrong kind of history. Roll on Saturday....away in the league :twothumbsup:

No much craic on the team bus coming up the A9 tonight then... now he's got to lift the players for saturday, question is, who the feck sorts the defence out?

Dropping Proctor would be a start

YES! No-one really impressed tonight, but this boy was woeful. Why is it that every time someone is running at him he backs off and backs off until he gets into the box before putting a risky challenge in. Tuffey played well considering he let in 6.

Some major defensive changes need to happen in January. Golly and proctor out. About 4 in! This just shows the complete lack of depth in our squad.

Not worried though, there are far worse teams than us in this league

Since Terry's "full-y fi" team has yet to gel and have a good run together we can't really say that he needs to panic and have another wholesale transfer-in of new players.

However, there is evidence enough that certain players no longer can cut it or just don't have SPL STATUS yet tattooeed on their foreheads so he had better keep a good eye trained on possible prospects because another debacle like this will sour up the punters good style.

I remain convinced that this defeat will not have the desired "rebound" effect being a players' resolve to demolish St Mirren. If anything , I think it will be the opposite and the team may well continue to struggle due to indecisiveness and lack of confidence.

Of course, we all hope that that is not in fact what will happen.

So, what then?

Frankly, if no more money is available to bring in rock-solid and experienced defenders then all I can say is "What then?".

I feel some of the reaction to this game to be way over the top. Yes, 6-0 was embarrasing and I feel sorry for the fans that were there but our main focus has to be to stay up. Posters have queried the team selection but what if we had played our strongest team and lost more to injuries, then Saturdays game would have become even more of a risk for us. A win against St Mirren will be a great boost and help us survive in this league at the end of the season. You also have to remember that out first choice defence has been decimated by injuries and players are being played out of position. I am sure that certain players were re-signed purely as cover and to be used sparingly (Golabek for example) but things haven't worked out that way. Where are we supposed to find additional players and pay for them with the budget we have, some players will not sign if they are going to be on the bench every week. Perhaps if the people of Inverness turned out in greater numbers to support their team, we would have more resources but that is another story.

Better teams that us have had thumpings from Celtic in the past and come back from it. Finbally, cast your mind back to the first game of the season when it was almost our strongest team that faced Celtic, it could easily have been 4 or 5 nil that day but the ball ran for us. It didn't last night.

• Agree 1

No much craic on the team bus coming up the A9 tonight then... now he's got to lift the players for saturday, question is, who the feck sorts the defence out?

Dropping Proctor would be a start

YES! No-one really impressed tonight, but this boy was woeful. Why is it that every time someone is running at him he backs off and backs off until he gets into the box before putting a risky challenge in. Tuffey played well considering he let in 6.

Some major defensive changes need to happen in January. Golly and proctor out. About 4 in! This just shows the complete lack of depth in our squad.

Not worried though, there are far worse teams than us in this league

Out of interest who do you think are worse than us Granty24?

From what i have seen of st mirren, them and killie because I really don't rate mixu as a manager. However, they've had a good start and he looks like he's brought in some good we players. I still think it's too early to decide ours and other teams fate. Remember we lost 6 or 7 games in a row at the start of the season, a couple of seasons ago. We just need to pick up points against the teams we'd expect to be around us

We lost 5-0 at Parkhead to Celtic in 2007 - next game we beat Hearts 2-1 at home.

We lost 5-0 at Ibrox to Rangers in 2008 - next game we beat Hibs 2-1 away.

After losing 6-0 to Airdrie in 2001 we went on a 5 game unbeaten run.

In actual fact that Airdrie result was a far far worse result for us than last night's, when you consider the quality of our team selection and the standard of our opponents. Our team back then was:

Walker, Tokely, McBain, Mann, McCaffrey, Duncan (Golabek, 45), Bavidge, Wyness, Ritchie, Charlie Christie (Teasdale,70 ), Robson

That was an awesome line up by First Division standards, with only 2 of those 13 not qualifying for legend status. The result says something about the unpredictability and inconsistency under the Steve paterson era, in which there was never a dull moment.

Travelled home in a car full of Tims............say no more. You could only take your hat off to them though. We were dire at the back (I actually thought that Tuffey played OK. He handled a couple in the air well and made two great saves.one with his feet and one diving full length to his right.............no chance with the goals), but Celtic took full advantage and were awesomely powerful going forward at pace. The big new Swede at the back looks the part...........a white Balde. The gulf in class was embarrassing and I too question Butchers thought process.........I think he may be regretting it now. It could have been double figures. I don't know the answer. We were all saying it will be different on Saturday. Well, its payback time for me..........I want a performance. If, on the other hand, there is an adverse reaction and we make a horlicks of it ............then we are in trouble.........and I know who I would blame!

I don't normally post on here very much but I was at the game last night and it's been interesting to read peoples thoughts. Yes it was embarrassing but come on, can we just get this result and our season into perspective a little. Celtic have spent a minimum of £20 million during the summer on international quality players. This is our first year back in the SPL with a squad where the majority of players haven't played regular SPL football before. Terry took a risk last night by playing a weakened youthful team but I'd just love to see the criticism he'd have received if he'd played Foran, Rooney etc for the 90 mins and they had to go off injured. He just can't keep the fans happy whatever he does. We're suppose to support the team but after any result (win, draw or lose) there is a constant slating and questioning of his decisions. The fact is that Terry is the boss and I think he knows slightly better than any fan. I'm fully behind Butcher like the majority of the posters on here and I think it's absolutely astonishing to see that people are calling for Terry's head after one lose to a team of international players, where one of their players receive a bigger weekly wage than the whole of our squad. I really hope that those people who are calling for Terry to leave have just got caught up in the heat of the moment as the man has worked wonders forthe club. It's time for a reality check. We have no right to be in this league, we have to fight for it, and this is why I firmly support the team choice last night. St Mirren is a massive game for us on Saturday. We need to be beating teams like this and Terry is giving us the best chance of doing so by making sure we have a fresh Rooney, Foran etc to play. The only way we're going to stay up is by beating the teams around us.

One other point I want to make is the support last night. I don't want to labour this as it's been talked over and over again but last night I found it increasingly frustrating having to put up with a FEW younger guys at the back of the Caley support who find it more appropriateto go to games and shout at their fellow fans for not standing up during agame. I just question they're motivation for going to games? By all means come along to games and make noise and get behind the team in that way but I have no room for people who criticise our own support. Can we not sing songs that support the team rather than slate our own support? Everyone enjoys and has a right to experience the match in a different way whether that's sitting down and watching the football or standing up and making some noise. I don't want to start any kind of argument by writing this but I just wish that these "fans" would come tothe games and support the team rather than get on top of other fans who have just as much right to be at the game as them. Also please don't get me started on the singing of a certain controversial sectarianism song that was being sung by a few of these young "fans". Your pulling down the clubs reputation and it's just so cringe worthy to listen to. Please think before you try to start singing a song!

Lets get behind Terry and the team starting on Saturday and cheer them on to many wins this season but can we please stop attacking our own fans for turning up at games and enjoying it in their own way?

Edited by jrict
  • Agree 8

I don't normally post on here very much but I was at the game last night and it's been interesting to read peoples thoughts. Yes it was embarrassing but come on, can we just get this result and our season into perspective a little. Celtic have spent a minimum of ?20 million during the summer on international quality players. This is our first year back in the SPL with a squad where the majority of players haven't played regular SPL football before. Terry took a risk last night by playing a weakened youthful team but I'd just love to see the criticism he'd have received if he'd played Foran, Rooney etc for the 90 mins and they had to go off injured. He just can't keep the fans happy whatever he does. We're suppose to support the team but after any result (win, draw or lose) there is a constant slating and questioning of his decisions. The fact is that Terry is the boss and I think he knows slightly better than any fan. I'm fully behind Butcher like the majority of the posters on here and I think it's absolutely astonishing to see that people are calling for Terry's head after one lose to a team of international players, where one of their players receive a bigger weekly wage than the whole of our squad. I really hope that those people who are calling for Terry to leave have just got caught up in the heat of the moment as the man has worked wonders forthe club. It's time for a reality check. We have no right to be in this league, we have to fight for it, and this is why I firmly support the team choice last night. St Mirren is a massive game for us on Saturday. We need to be beating teams like this and Terry is giving us the best chance of doing so by making sure we have a fresh Rooney, Foran etc to play. The only way we're going to stay up is by beating the teams around us.

One other point I want to make is the support last night. I don't want to labour this as it's been talked over and over again but last night I found it increasingly frustrating having to put up with a FEW younger guys at the back of the Caley support who find it more appropriateto go to games and shout at their fellow fans for not standing up during agame. I just question they're motivation for going to games? By all means come along to games and make noise and get behind the team in that way but I have no room for people who criticise our own support. Can we not sing songs that support the team rather than slate our own support? Everyone enjoys and has a right to experience the match in a different way whether that's sitting down and watching the football or standing up and making some noise. I don't want to start any kind of argument by writing this but I just wish that these "fans" would come tothe games and support the team rather than get on top of other fans who have just as much right to be at the game as them. Also please don't get me started on the singing of a certain controversial sectarianism song that was being sung by a few of these young "fans". Your pulling down the clubs reputation and it's just so cringe worthy to listen to. Please think before you try to start singing a song!

Lets get behind Terry and the team starting on Saturday and cheer them on to many wins this season but can we please stop attacking our own fans for turning up at games and enjoying it in their own way?

A bit peculiar this one. I completely agree with the first bit, summing the match up. There are bigger teams than ICT who have gone to 'tic park and come away 6-0 worse off. They looked capable of gelling into a very good side after spending goodness how much dosh in the summer. Us? weakened, and it showed up our lack of strength in depth. No complaints from me on tactics or personnel - Saturday is much more important. Perversely, it remained not too bad a night out, despite getting home at 2am.

I find the second part very odd indeed. Some of these "youngsters" were the same ones that were hugging stewards, bouncing around topless and generally having a good time. The "sit down like you always do" was aimed at the small group of Celtic fans who were, well, sitting down just past the polis cordon. I know, because I asked them what they were singing about. There was enough room in that section for anyone who wanted to lie down and watch the game (or just to lie down) to do exactly that. You could stand or sit without obscuring anyone's view. I heard no sectarian songs whatsoever from our fans, either on the way to the ground, in the London Road Tavern or in the ground. I heard no one attacking any other fan. That's my individual interpretation of last night.

Like i said, I definitely don't want to start any kind of argument but it's just a call for a more united support that look to get behind the team. I may have misinterpreted the direction that some of the songs were being sung in last night and if i did i apologise. I completely agree that the team respond to vocal backing and my main point is that not everyone enjoys going to games and making noise and i'm just calling for people to respect how other people wish to enjoy the game. I'm being extra careful not to labour this point as there's certainly already enough negativity on this forum, without others adding to it, but i defiantly heard some of the younger lads signing a sectarian song and i'm just wanting to warn them to think about what they're singing before they start signing it. Again i'm sorry if i have misunderstood any of the songs that were being sung last night!

Like i said, I definitely don't want to start any kind of argument but it's just a call for a more united support that look to get behind the team. I may have misinterpreted the direction that some of the songs were being sung in last night and if i did i apologise. I completely agree that the team respond to vocal backing and my main point is that not everyone enjoys going to games and making noise and i'm just calling for people to respect how other people wish to enjoy the game. I'm being extra careful not to labour this point as there's certainly already enough negativity on this forum, without others adding to it, but i defiantly heard some of the younger lads signing a sectarian song and i'm just wanting to warn them to think about what they're singing before they start signing it. Again i'm sorry if i have misunderstood any of the songs that were being sung last night!

No worries here pal.