Adam Rooneys Contract

BornCaley

Apparently Birmingham are interested in Rooney... though maybe this should be taken with a hefty pinch of salt, especially since the article names him as Sean Rooney

Agreed, and I would be (very pleasantly) surprised if he could get a move to a big club that will be aiming to bounce back to the Premiership.

However, stranger things have happened - Birmingham have now made their move for Colin Calderwood to be assistant, and he is known to be a big admirer of Adam, having spent most of 2011 trying to sign him for Hibs.

Mention of the Birmingham interest in this link but also a wee glimmer of hope for all of you guys who have not given up on the Ginger one returning. http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/hughton-targets-rooney-signing-2808244.html

Adam is talking to clubs down south, but he has made it clear that if he can't agree anything then he would be quite keen to come back and sign for us," said Inverness assistant manager Maurice Malpas.

Sky sports website are reporting the Rooney to Birmimgham move here

If Connor Sammon can move to the Premiership then there is no reason why Rooney shouldnt be attracting a club of similar stature in lower EPL or Championship IMO

Although todays Daily Express is reporting that Crawley 'look to have won the race' to snap up Rooney

Would be hugely dissapointed if Rooney moved to Crawley purely for ? There is no way a move from the SPL to league 2 should be considered as progressing your career

If he does move to Crawley then it would appear that money was his main motivation. That might not be the case but many will view it that way. It's not really a step up and certainly hasnt been worth all this waiting. Either that or Crawley were one of very few teams prepared to offer him something as opposed to just showing intrest.

Edited by ajsict92
  • Agree 3

A let down to see him go to crawley what appears to be based on money.

Or is it down to reuniting with Brewster who he flourished under last time? tongueincheek.gif

However if anything im glad he at least leaving scotland so don't need to play against him next season.

Should have stayed one more year but did well for the club and wont be holding a big grudge against them.

Hopefully gets a bigger move from crawley in the future.

Many people see Crawley Town as the English equivalent of Gretna, merely the plaything of a rich owner who will soon tire of his new toy. Personally I think they will last the course. They are extremely ambitious, with a good ground and facilities and have already proved in the Conference that they can play football. I expect them to be challenging for promotion in their first season in FL2. So, I can see that, apart from the big wages, that it could be an exciting place for Rooney to spend a year. If he is successful there, then without doubt the door will be open to many of the good Championship sides. If he went to Birmingham (or one of the other so called interested temas) now, I suspect he would be a bench warmer, and probably not on any more money than Crawley can afford.

As an aside, I see that Crawley are due at Aldershot early in the season, so I can see myself visiting them (my nearest FL2 ground) twice within a few weeks!

• Agree 1

The Record also carry's this article : "Motherwell striker Michael Higdon: I could have made more money in England but I wanted to play at highest level"

In which Michael says that Crawley Town had offered him more money to go there, but he'd rather play at a higher level. So it looks like Adam was there second choice to Higdon. Our new striker Terry Gornell (Finger crossed we get him) comes I think from League 2 and see's us as a step up... I guess it is all about the money !

Edited by kiltarlity
  • Agree 1

Many people see Crawley Town as the English equivalent of Gretna, merely the plaything of a rich owner who will soon tire of his new toy. Personally I think they will last the course. They are extremely ambitious, with a good ground and facilities and have already proved in the Conference that they can play football. I expect them to be challenging for promotion in their first season in FL2. So, I can see that, apart from the big wages, that it could be an exciting place for Rooney to spend a year. If he is successful there, then without doubt the door will be open to many of the good Championship sides. If he went to Birmingham (or one of the other so called interested temas) now, I suspect he would be a bench warmer, and probably not on any more money than Crawley can afford.

As an aside, I see that Crawley are due at Aldershot early in the season, so I can see myself visiting them (my nearest FL2 ground) twice within a few weeks!

Crawley may end up being the next Hull City, if Rooney goes there I hope they have all the success they aspire to, it's great to see wee clubs doing their best to unseat the dinosaurs of the game. It's not that long ago we were ambitious wee upstarts.

quote from the Daily Ranger

"League Two side Crawley Town look like they have won the race to sign Inverness striker Adam Rooney. (Daily Record)"

SERIOUSLY! Dude Crawley Town...Im sure the Championship clubs would be a better option.

At the end of the day, if he does go to Crawley I will be disappointed and would agree with those who say its all about the money.

I know pretty much nothing about that club other than what people have posted in here but cannot see how it is a step up in anything but wages. I very much doubt it will enhance his international chances, I very much doubt it will put him in the shop window as much as going to a higher level side, another SPL side or even back to us .... so disappointed if it happens.

Crawley may be ambitious, and they may get there in time, good luck to them in that effort ... as someone said, we too were ambitious wee upstarts once upon a time !!

Also, as far as the player is concerned, no grudges there either. We got our money's worth in terms of his contract and the return he gave us for that contract so all is good in that respect. Just disappointed if he does go for the money and also because he promised to give the club and fans a quick decision about what he was doing months ago

• Agree 1

Would agree with Scotty that we got our monies worth and he did give us some great memories but I am too disappointed that he has taken so long to make up his mind and keep us hanging on so long.

Seriously though, Crawley Town??!! Yes they may be ambitious and may have big plans but nothing is certain especially in English football and at the 4th tier as well, I just think he could have done so much better thats of course if he does join them, hopefully for him he sees it as a springboard to bigger and better things as he is still young however I feel he could have made it at Championship level just now of course if he has actually had offers from clubs in that league. I see no reason why he wouldn't have.

I also don't see Crawley Town as a bigger club than us and see us as playing at a far higher level in a more competative league which he would have much more publicity in.

Their average attendances are around the thousand mark so I can't see this as anything but a financial move for Adam. Good luck son.

The stats I looked at said their average was 2500 :ponder:

No idea what sort of standard league 2 is but I doubt the gulf between it and the SPL is very significant

Their average attendances are around the thousand mark so I can't see this as anything but a financial move for Adam. Good luck son.

The stats I looked at said their average was 2500 :ponder:

No idea what sort of standard league 2 is but I doubt the gulf between it and the SPL is very significant

You're right, their average for last season was arond 2.5K but previous seasons were around 1K. I can see that promotion from the Conference generated a lot of interest but doubt it will be sustained unless they can walk to a second successive promotion. As previously stated they seem to be another Gretna-esque club.

I don't think it's possible to compare English and Scottish leagues. The SPL has such a gulf between first and last, it's impossible to contrast.

Going to Crawley will set Adam back years. In a couple of years time, if he stays injury-free and can score (and he's not the only factor in that of course), then he might earn a medium-money move to the Championship or League One. It's just not that big a shop window.

Score in the SPL (either with us or a bigger team) and I think he has a better chance of a move. Similarly, if he goes to a Championship team and does well, the EPL (or Celtic) potentially awaits. Yeah, it won't be easy to break through but if he doesn't believe he can take his chance when it comes around, stick to lower leagues and no ambition.

And I still don't like him keeping us in limbo after the 'I'll speak to my family in a couple of days' nonsense all that time ago.

I've heard from a couple of different people that Rooney informed the club several weeks ago that he'd be leaving. Of course I've no idea if this is true and if it is why the club would want to keep it quiet!

Off to Birmingham City (official)

see this thread for further discussion:

this thread now closed as the subject is no longer valid (ie. his ICT contract).