Matchday Thread: St Mirren -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

Nick Ross played in the middle when he came on??

I know we won the game and all that, but surely Morrison or McBain would've been a more natural choice to play in the middle of the pitch; considering both have more experience playing there.

Honestly looked like he had played there all his life.. he is the future of ICT I have no doubt about it. Good players can play anywhere and he showed exactly what he was about today.... credit to the lad and credit to Butcher for showing faith in him.

Terrific performance today and although I'm sick of posting it after away games but I can't get over how good a travelling support we have, especially when you take into consideration the distance travelled by some of the guys. No one stopped singing from the 1st to 93rd/ish minute and the players showed the appreciation at the end..

As mentioned previously by jrict, Tokely & Munro were awesome. Odi gets better and better... with Foran back on the flank we looked a lot more like the team that finished so well last season

Gutting to not go away with a clean sheet but we couldn't have done anything to prevent their goal, great finish, otherwise it would have been the perfect away performnce.

when the players start returning from injury I have no doubt we are SPL quality it's just a patchwork job at the moment for Butcher & Mo but with the likes of Shinnie, Morrison & Ross coming to the fray it's very encouraging.

Just in.

1st away day of the season and it was awesome.

Cagey start from both teams but i thought we played the better football, they created some chances but failed to capatalise and Ross hit the post. Odi's opener was great vision from Duff, everyone expected him to hoof it into the box but it was a neat move.

2nd half, we came out guns blazing. Rooney has a fizzing shot blocked and from the following corner, Foran's flick on was nearly turned converted in by a St Mirren defender.

Hayes broke clear from the midfield and threaded it through to Odi, he took a terrible touch but still finished well.

McGowans goal was a cracker but we weathered the storm and were probably deserved winners.

Change of the game was when Nick came on and played centre mid, the role seem made for him and he was defnitely my motm. Foran slotted back in nicely today and Duff did well switching to full back. Tbh Proctor going off was a blessing in disguise as he did not start the game well. Rosscoe and Granty looked solid and Esson made some stunning saves.

Just a great away day :ictscarf::ictscarf:

Good awayday and always great to stuff these soapdodgers after a visit to the Alamo.

Didn't think we showed much fluency today though TBH. Pretty stodgy game, looked well in control at 2-0 but at 2-1 we just couldn't get out of the half. If we stopped punting it we looked as though we could murder them. 3 stonking goals though.

Brilliant scenes as usual at the end. Ah well, no relegation worries after witnessing that lot, couldn't score in Dora's, that well known Edinburgh establishment of horizontal refreshment. Bye bye Midden.

• Agree 1

Good away game :)

And fantastic away support. Wish though we'd like that at home. However when st mirren scored we seemed to stand off a bit which was quiet annoyin as st mirren could have easily scored another.

Eric will be catchin up wiv Rooney soon.

Nick Ross played in the middle when he came on??

I know we won the game and all that, but surely Morrison or McBain would've been a more natural choice to play in the middle of the pitch; considering both have more experience playing there.

Maybe not Morrison, but certainly McBain has more experience there. I assumed Butcher would put put McBain on too, but Ross had a tremendous game in the middle. Didn't win every tackle he went in for, but most of those that he did win, he came out with the ball at his feet and moved the play on really effectively.

Great win today after recent results. There wasn't thst much in it, but we had a little more flair going forward and Munro had a very strong game at the back. Fantastic to see Odhiambo with so much confidence - not seen it yet on the highlights yet, obviously, but his touch and finish for the second goal looked sublime.

Excellent away support again. Terry and Mo...

:twothumbsup: That was the best trip that I have ever been on - well at least since Tannadump - but I lasted longer than Richie Foran and was even there to wave to Rosscoe at the final whistle.

Great pre match banter in the salubrious surroundings of the Alamo Wine Bar - nice to see a smattering of the old codgers, the Central Belt Massive (even feckin Stan !!), the Sesh, the away regulars, some new faces and the solitary burd in the corner with the Guinness. :twothumbsup::drinking06:

Anyway it was a really dire first half but it was a wee bit of a flashback to the Jam Tarts game - in reverse - Proctor (thankfully in retrospect) a la Ian Black took an early knock and had to hop off - leading to the game winning shuffle, an Esson wonder save and a "killer" goal by Eric, a la Kevin Kyle, just before the break.

Plus WE came out of the blocks with a vengeance and in a way, in retrospect, killed the game with a sclaffed second from Eric - or does he mean them ?!!

It may well have been some tiredness from Wednesday night and having to play some players for too long but I also felt that we did get a bit over confident and sat back further than we had done all the game - it was a tactical ploy using the hoof to Rooney and Eric - which I can appreciate and understand. And lets face it - it was going to take a wonder goal to beat Esson yesterday and unfortunately it happened. I have to admit that although they never looked like scoring it was a bit of a tense last ten minutes.

All in all we deserved to win and Midden were poor which helped as well. To me the difference between the two sides was that we used the width - especially Hayes - and we had pace, strength and movement up front with Rooney and Eric who will trouble any SPL team on the break.

Isnt it great what a difference three days make - and Butcher can have a wry grin and a glass of red plonk knowing that he can justify his team selection at Parkdread

:groovy:

And you could see what Esson and Tokely thought of the tremendous away support as they saluted the faithful at the end. And the delirious gathering of the SESH and the MOB rode back side by side on the train to central Station as the glorious vibes of "Caley Away with Terry and Mo filled the polluted Paisley air.

And what about the stewards ? Take a feckin bow ladies and gentlemen :twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup::popular:

ESSON :twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup: I will give him my MOM as the save in the first half and one in the second simply kept us in the game. I thought that he was simply immense all through - what confidence that must induce in the defence (and it showed) plus his distribution, especially the quick throws, was first class - he really actually does deserve a cap at the moment - and boy must he be cheesing off Tuffey.

PROCTOR :twothumbsup: Shame fer the lad but he is not a right back but he is a good cover squad player. His loss was ultimately our gain.

ROSSCOE: :twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup: Best all round performance in a long time - although I have to concede that Wardlaw is tailor made for him. But his graft and determination were shining examples to all around him, including the support in the away end. His clenched salute at the final whistle will live in my memory banks fer a while.

GRANTY :twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup: I feel that he is our most consistent performer at the moment. He simply led by example and didnt put a foot wrong. I am sure that it is a good bet that he would prefer to cover Shinnie rather than Lionel or Golly.

SHINNIE :twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup: Unsurprsingly nervous looking at the start and evidently targetted by Midden - but the lad stood his ground with the close suppoprt of Granty. I suspect that there is more to Shinnie than we saw yesterday as TB - or probably Mo - clearly instructed him to play in a no nonsense fashion and he followed the advice to the word. Gillet will be back in when he recovers but the wee man has made the left back position his own until then.

HAYES :twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup: He can be magic and a handful but he does frustrate me as he can disappear from the game for 5-10 minute spells and he faded again in the second half. But there is an air of expectation when he gets the ball wide with only the full back to take on. he is yer old fashioned "tanner ba" player and if he could deliver for 90 minutes he woll be some player.

DUFF :twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup: He was actually close to MOM. He is clearly an experienced right back - although he probably does not want to play there. But he has to stick there until Mccann comes back. His positioning and cover were first class and he was the first ICT right back that I have seen in a long time who thinks about the game, holds the line, slots in beside the central defenders when the attacks are down the right side and does not drift out wide until he has to.

DUNCAN :twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup: I think that Russeldhino simply answered "why did you drop me Terry?" question - not with words but with the battling performance where he quite clearly had a Nick Ross remote control in his back pocket. And what would we be saying if that chip in the second half had been on target.

FORAN :twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup: I feel that his mere presence lifted the team and the support. Quiet but effective would be my summing up and he lasted longer than I thought he would. But saying that I lasted longer than I thought I would !!

ERIC :twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup: Well you cant knock two goals and non stop running. He will never be my cup of tea or win prizes for touch and skill but his mere pace - especiallly away from home on the break - will simply murder the teams in the bottom half. First goal was brilliantly tucked away - second was sclaffed but as against Jam tarts he had the pace to be in the right spot at the right time.

ROONEY :twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup: This may be harsh and I suspect my expectation levels are now high but he disappointed me a bit yesterday. I appreciate that he was a lone striker and he did that job well. He is looking stronger by the game and his hold up lay and passing has improved immensely - but he is a natural goal scorer and he needs to learn to be predator who could be lethal if he targetted getting into the mix in the opponents box on a far more regular manner.

ROSS :twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup: Central midfield - where did that performance feckin come from. He simply has to be kept there until the injuries clear themselves up. Some of this tackling and defensive thinking was a joy - although Daddy Duncan earned his baby sitting money.

GIL and MORRISON - both really taken on to play out time and rest Foran and Eric.

STEWARDS :twothumbsup::rules:

SINGING SECTION INNOVATION :twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup::twothumbsup:

SINGING SECTION PERFORMANCE :rotflmao: :panda01:

:ictscarf: AWAY SUPPORT :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:music02: King Beastie on drums

CALEY AWAY WITH TERRY AND MO

Edited by IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER
  • Agree 3

Terry and Mo.

Great post, Stan... a tad concise, but it certainly hits the spot.

Have a green dot!

:thumbup:

If you take into account the state that i was in at the time then the green dot was well earned. Terry and Mo, Terry and Mo, Terry and Mo and Odhiambo. Terry and Mo, Terry and Mo, Terry and Mo and Big Fat Johndo. It's still spinning round my head.

I didn't think we played particularly well yesterday. St. Mirren tried to play football but they lacked cutting edge. It was clear that Terry and Mo had spent the week drilling the defence on the basics and we looked far more solid there. Esson stepped up when he was called upon but they created very little. Upon that foundation we left it to Johnny and Eric to hit them on the break. Eric played with his head, dropping into pockets of space and dragging their centre-halfs out of position. St. Mirren seem confused by our formation and they would've found it a lot easier if they'd just stuck a midfielder on Eric because nobody else was really causing them problems. Hayes burst through a couple of times but he didn't look fully fit. Foran grafted up and down the left as he always does but he's going to need a good few games before he's back to his best. Rooney had nothing to play with. He manufactured a couple of half chances by himself but it would be unfair to slag him because he ran his socks off and got no service. Nick Ross deserves special praise and a POY point for a surprisingly assured performance in centre mid. Never shirked a tackle and tried to break forward with the ball when he won it. He's starting to look like a real player. We rode our luck a bit towards the end - thankfully the stewards let us stand for the whole game because there would've been a fair few moist buttocks in the away the end if they hadn't.

My first away day for a long time and i have to say the support was fantastic. It's definitely a factor in our brilliant away form and the players and management know and acknowledge that.

Danny Lennon - what a tool! As someone said on the platform after the game "Chris Kerr must be turning in his grave".

The Zionists back us now, what with us having a Jew and everything.

I didn't think we played at our best yesterday - we pressed well and defended much, much better than we have done in the past few games but I thought that aside from Eric the front four were quiet. Hayes had a few good moments but also wasted the ball a few times, unlike him, Rooney didn't really get a sight at goal and Foran looked as though he was just getting back into his stride. If they had all played as well as Eric did we would have scored more I think.

Looking back one of the most pleasing things was seeing Nick Ross come on and play so well in the centre of the park. I must admit I've had my doubts about him but yesterday he looked very good indeed.

Highlights

Eric took his goals really well. Great through balls from Ross and Hayes. The BBC have cleary edited out the noise of the away support as the result of some Zionist conspiracy.

More apologies to Eric - that was a well taken finish. :twothumbsup:

Yeah.... If only you would desist from seeing Eric through that alcoholic haze, you might just realise he is a pretty decent player.

You made the same mistake with that Brazilianesque effort of his against the Jambos....

Green dot please!

• Agree 2

Highlights are good to watch and Eric looks a natural goalscorer, good to have two in your team!

I think St Mirren goal was the best strike of the season so far, if he'd hit that another hundred times it would have ended up in the stand every time.

Huge thanks to the chief steward yesterday. The first five or six of us arrived in the ground just after 2pm and were told we had to sit in our allocated seats (printed on the tickets) as it was club policy, and was necessary for their security and health and safety to know which seats were occupied. We said how unhappy we were about the set seating, as none of us wanted our allocated seats, and he said he would register our complaints in his report. Then after a long discussion where we suggested it would be easier for both fans and stewards if we could pick the seats we wanted from the ticket office in future, and he told us about what a pain some fans from other clubs had been, he suddenly said he would go and check on whether we could really just sit where we wanted. He came back less than the 20 mins he said, and gave us the all clear. Totally great bloke. So big thanks to him and his whole team for helping make a great afternoon, after what had initially seemed just a recipe for disaster.

• Agree 2

IHE -- I just loooove your summaries.

I canna see the highlights' until they are posted on the main site 'cos the BBC will not send them out to me 'cos they think I am going to sell them all over North America.

Just shows what they know with all their technical expertise....eh?

But IHE, sometimes you surprise me with your wizardry of the pen. Brilliant descriptive, flowing, lyrical, splendiferous, precise, domineering, dynamic, detailed, sober and

palpitating passages. Fair makes my day , so it does.

Keep up the good work, Itchy, and can you PM me and tell me whether I am now back in your good books? :twothumbsup::bouncyred:

Huge thanks to the chief steward yesterday. The first five or six of us arrived in the ground just after 2pm and were told we had to sit in our allocated seats (printed on the tickets) as it was club policy, and was necessary for their security and health and safety to know which seats were occupied. We said how unhappy we were about the set seating, as none of us wanted our allocated seats, and he said he would register our complaints in his report. Then after a long discussion where we suggested it would be easier for both fans and stewards if we could pick the seats we wanted from the ticket office in future, and he told us about what a pain some fans from other clubs had been, he suddenly said he would go and check on whether we could really just sit where we wanted. He came back less than the 20 mins he said, and gave us the all clear. Totally great bloke. So big thanks to him and his whole team for helping make a great afternoon, after what had initially seemed just a recipe for disaster.

I will give ya a green dot fer that - we were in the Alamo and heard about this although the rumour was that you had all been asked to sit down !! But what the feck were you doing in Legoland and not the Alamo at 2.00 ? :blink:

By the way - can ya see the fervour of the support on the caleyjags.com site. :cool:

• Agree 1