scotland squad

dam17

Scotland squad

Goalkeepers: McGregor (Rangers), Gilks (Blackpool), Gordon (Sunderland)

Defenders: Hutton (Tottenham), Berra (Wolves), Broadfoot (Rangers), McManus (Middlesbrough), G Caldwell (Wigan), Weir (Rangers), Whittaker (Rangers)

Midfielders: Adam (Blackpool), Brown (Celtic), Dorrans (West Brom), McCulloch (Rangers), Fletcher (Manchester United), Morrison (West Brom), Robson (Middlesbrough), McEveley (Barnsley), Maloney (Celtic)

Forwards: Fletcher (Wolves), Iwelumo (Burnley), Mackie (QPR), Miller (Rangers), Naismith (Rangers).

my line up for czechs and spain would be: 4-5-1 the 5 being a v-shape

Gordon (if levein thinks he's had enough game experience if not gilks)

hutton--weir--mcmanus--whittaker

-------------brown

------fletcher----dorrans/adam

mackie-----------------------Morrison

---------------miller

subs:gilks/gordon, berra, caldwell, dorrans/adam, robson, fletcher, iwelumo

scotland.gif

Edited by Pedz4king

I take it that's it's a political decision to leave out McGregor? For me, he has to be in there based on his form for Rangers and the last Scotland game he played in. And I'm not a journalist, so sticking two fingers up to Jim Traynor and his ilk doesn't offend me in the slightest (and yet, you have Weir in after what he did to the Scotland team).

There's no way Gordon is fit enough. Dorrans would also struggle to last 90 mins at the moment. I wouldn't have Scott Brown as a defensive mid. He can't read a game or pass a ball. His strength is in box-to-box, hence why he played well alongside genuine def mids like Hartley and Thomson.

So mine would be:

McGregor

Hutton - McManus - Berra - Whittaker

McCulloch

Robson - Fletcher - Adam - Morrison*

Miller

*although Derek Riordan deserves to be in the squad at least.

Macgregor

Hutton---- weir----- macmanus---whittaker

------------------brown-----------------------

maculloch------fletcher--------maloney

------------------miller-----------------

-------------iwelumo---------------

McGregor

Hutton - Weir - McManus - Whittaker

Fletcher - Brown

Robson - Naismith - Morrison

Miller

I think this is the best available team going by current form and ability to play a disciplined defensive game. In Maloney, Dorrans, Steven Fletcher and Iwelumo we also have a range of attacking, potentially game-changing options on the bench. I expect Robson, Naismith, Morrison and Miller to start ahead of them beacause of their excellent defensive qualities. My biggest concern is how effectively we can protect our cenre-halfs from being exposed by pace. McCulloch would be handy there but he's suspended for the Czech game. Might Levein be tempted to ape Sir Walter by dropping a midfielder and playing Christophe Berra in a back 5? I don't think so, and the fact that there are only 3 fit centre-halfs in the squad suggests that he'll stick with a variation of 4-5-1.

I don't think we should be intimidated by this Czech team. They've got some very talented players, and on his day, Tomas Rosicky could take us apart on his own, but recent results suggest that there is a mental weakness at the core of this team. Bring them on.

Edited by Caley Stan

Don Cowie has now been called up to the squad as has Kevin Mcnaughton. Haven't been paying attention to how Don's been doing this season but good to see him being recognised.

The Don seems to have become a bit of a cult favourite at Watford. He's also got the most assists in the Championship so far this season. 8 assists I think.

Bit disappointed that Esson didn't get called up after Gilks pulled out. Cammy Bell has hardly done any better than Esson this season to suggest he deserves a call up any more than Esson does. He hasn't done anything wrong that I can think of. Maybe it was the 6-0 vs Celtic that ruined his chances this time around but he couldn't be blamed too much for that.

Bit disappointed that Esson didn't get called up .... Maybe it was the 6-0 vs Celtic that ruined his chances this time around but he couldn't be blamed too much for that.

He didn't play that night.

I honestly think Bell is the most exciting keeper we've had since Gordon. I expect great things of him.

Good call on Naismith. I never thought he'd get back to form after the injury he got a couple of years ago. Perhaps all he needed was to play regularly. He's certainly the in-form player at the moment.

Phil Bardsley has been called up. I thought he looked pretty good when he was at Rangers for that loan spell (although not as good as Hutton who he replaced). His career stalled a bit after being sent home for 'tackling' during practice (imagine a defender wanting to practice his art as well :slapme: ) but seems to be settling down now with Sunderland.

I think the international arena is completely shot with Brazilians etc playing for the likes of Germany but a Scottish father doesn't seem to bad. That can still be a very strong bond.

Must admit i've never thought that much of Gordon. Perhaps his injury problems has cast a shasdow on him since joining Sunderland. Always a worry when Steve Bruce comes out and says in the summer he's looking for a new keeper. Perhaps as back up i know but still... He seems a long way off the player that was once touted as going to Arsenal, and theyre now being linked with a 36 year old!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12017_6433412,00.html

starting 11 is on there

strange formation 4-2-2-2 spain used it a couple times in the world cup. levein is obviously wanting to stretch the czechs after theyre loss to lithuania and shakey home form

mackie debut dont know much about him but he's on form atm

i dont like the look of having caldwell on though wonder what the odds are on him getting sent off :ponder:

but im confident for this one levein knows what hes doing

Strange one this. I like Gary Caldwell - think he could go on to much higher things - but he's just not fit enough.

Not too fond of dropping Miller either. I've not been a big fan of him before this season but he's in great form. I know Levein would argue that Mackie and Naismith are slightly more defensive but I'm not even sure of that. Miller will run his heart out and do a job in many positions. In fact, I often thought he should really have dropped to wing/att mid in previous seasons.

Dorrans I would normally have in but he's not been playing due to some personal problems (dunno what).

I agree we should be defending in depth but without a single player to bother their defence? As Han Solo might have said: I've got a bad feeling about this.

It's a brave and surprising move to drop Miller (when he is in good form and has a pretty good record as a lone striker for Scotland) and bring in someone who will be meeting his new teammates for the first time. Hope he's got this one right.

Caldwell shouldnt be starting IMO, i think its too soon after his double hip surgery. Very, very suprised to see Miller dropped. The only logic i can see from this is that Mackie is an unknown quantity, to most Scotland fans and i would imagine the Czech team alike. Can still see Miller featuring at some point however i really hope Levein has called this one right and Mackie doesnt prove to be another Iwelumo.

Edited by Libero

Took in the QPR v's Middlesboro game a few weeks ago and was impressed by Mackie.

We'll soon find out if Levein has made the right call, personally I'd have given Miller the nod.

Yeah, seems an odd choice. I'm not a Miller fan but this is probably his best ever form, although he hasn't really shown himself to be a reliable scorer at this level, saying that I'd rather see him play than a totally untested player who hasnt even got european or top flight experience. I would understand if Fletcher had been given the nod over Miller as I really think based on last year @ Burnley he is a genuie top class player who can score & create in games where th oposition is on top - he would be a goal threat.

As for Caldwell, not a lot of other options for a holding role, although I'm not sure if 'Super' Charlie Adam deseved a start due to his good early Prem form and creativity.