Under 17s v Celtic

youthcomesfirst

First ever post. If people are interested I will give updates on the u17s each week.

Delighted to say that the under 17s drew 2-2 with Celtic today, and could/should have won. Scorers Ryan Watson and Ryan Christie. Celtic had 5 internationalists in their team and are virtually all full time. We had a squad of 12, with a sub keeper and no outfield subs due to injuries. Team went 1 down midway thru the first half but replied thru an excellent individual efort from Ryan Christie. Early in the second half Ryan Watson turn a defender and cooly slotted past the keepr. Celtic bounced back to equalise with a disputed offside goal(why dont we have linesmen at this level?) We had several chances to win the game but couldn't finish them off. Gone are the days we would try to keep the score down against the old firm. Great to see Terry at the game as well. The futures bright....

• Agree 2

Yes please - keep the reports coming. It is a shame that the official club site doesn't include tables for the others as it would be interesting to see. Surely there ARE tables for these leagues somewhere though?

Would be happy to continue to update on results, info etc. Unfortunately the SFA state that no club can even publish scores never mind league tables until under 19s. Utterly ridiculous. The SFA call the youth age group 'The Elite level' yet they are still worried that young players and coaches will become too concerned about results. Erm hello, surely they should not want to stiffel competitive spirit. I was at the Street League awards 2nite and watched teenagers receive umpteen trophies and medals. Try to tell them that next year they will have no incentive to play - how long would they stay interested in football for?

Sadly the people in power are blinkered old fools. Yes I agree that its time to get more coaching and less competiteveness but publishing or not publishing results will never achieve that. The best way to achieve it is to ban mothers and fathers from games.

Unfortunately the SFA state that no club can even publish scores never mind league tables until under 19s. Utterly ridiculous.

This certainly sounds like a bit of overkill on the part of the SFA. Perhaps this is motivated by a genuine desire to shield young players from excessive competitive pressures and you can actually appreciate that when it's relevant, but this surely is a hefty overdose of Political Correctness which would even put Harriet Harman in the shade.

If the above is the case, then I think the SFA need to waken up, smell the coffee and come to terms with the real world. It is a competitive place and while you can indeed over pressurise a situation I think that they have called this one seriously wrong.

For instance, these very same under 17s will be studying for Highers, Standard Grades etc and will get results which inevitably will be compared with their peers. 30 odd years in my day job and in coaching athletics to a reasonably high level tells me that this kind of thing motivates youngsters. And what's the motivation on the field if league tables are banned and you can't even get the warm glow of satisfaction of seeing your result on your own club website?

How prepared then are young Scottish players at last to emerge into the real world of competitive football - where we don't really seem to be producing much?!

Alex also makes a very valid point about parents - not by any means all of them, but you do see the overcharged few going blue in the face with bulging veins in their foreheads.

Oh, and at last to get to what should have been my first point. That was a very decent match report young man! :twothumbsup: I am sure that more of the same will be very welcome. Here's hoping the SFA Thought Police don't track down your URL and close you down though! :annoyed:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Unfortunately the SFA state that no club can even publish scores never mind league tables until under 19s. Utterly ridiculous.

This certainly sounds like a bit of overkill on the part of the SFA. Perhaps this is motivated by a genuine desire to shield young players from excessive competitive pressures and you can actually appreciate that when it's relevant, but this surely is a hefty overdose of Political Correctness which would even put Harriet Harman in the shade.

If the above is the case, then I think the SFA need to waken up, smell the coffee and come to terms with the real world. It is a competitive place and while you can indeed over pressurise a situation I think that they have called this one seriously wrong.

For instance, these very same under 17s will be studying for Highers, Standard Grades etc and will get results which inevitably will be compared with their peers. 30 odd years in my day job and in coaching athletics to a reasonably high level tells me that this kind of thing motivates youngsters. And what's the motivation on the field if league tables are banned and you can't even get the warm glow of satisfaction of seeing your result on your own club website?

How prepared then are young Scottish players at last to emerge into the real world of competitive football - where we don't really seem to be producing much?!

Alex also makes a very valid point about parents - not by any means all of them, but you do see the overcharged few going blue in the face with bulging veins in their foreheads.

Oh, and at last to get to what should have been my first point. That was a very decent match report young man! :twothumbsup: I am sure that more of the same will be very welcome. Here's hoping the SFA Thought Police don't track down your URL and close you down though! :annoyed:

There has always been a problem with the SFA regarding results and league tables at this level - and we wonder why Scottish Football is so far down the rankings!

Edited by caleyboy

just so everyone knows, youth teams from 17s down play at the charleston pitches every Sunday, often at 1 pm and occassionally 2pm. As far as I know they are not closed door events as you can go and watch if you wish without restrictions. 13s and 14s play home one week with 15s and 17s th following.

As for parents doing the nut, only ever seen visiting parents ranting and raving, ICT parents do usually seen appreciative of both teams, so it is not a real problem you often see, but would say that should be down to the players clubs to have a word in their califlower like,