Stadium Location

dougal

76 members have voted

1. 1. Where to go?

• Stay at the Longman?
    • Move to the Bught Park?
    • Move to another Outskirt location?Where?
    • Move to another City centre location?Where?

Ok our home form is rubbish while our away form is rather impressive

My reckoning being its down to one reason and thats because of the location and design of the Caledonian Stadium

Surely if we moved to a purpose built stadium in the city we would attract more punters through the turnstyles

The present location is not good enough its difficult to get there and its at best cold and windy even on summer days

I'm surprised that ICT were even given permission to build a stadium there due to its proximity to the A9 and the resulting congestion it causes to the road user on match days

I would much prefer a more central location preferably somewhere in the town with seating all around the pitch and not just three sides like it is at the moment

No doubt i'll hear that its a beautiful location and all that but its football we are here to see not to admire the passing yachts or to spot the odd jumping dolphin

Its time for the club to move onto the next level and that will be achieved by moving stadium in my mind

Thoughts?

Dougal

Edited by dougal
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 4

OK Dougal... your campaign to change the name hasn't been too successful with over 90% voting for the status quo, so it now seems that you now want to relocate instead.

So, given that an extensive study was made of this by Bruce Hare in 1993 and the realistic options in and around Inverness were very limited indeed, where would you be planning to go?

I note that you include the Bught, or another City Centre localtion among your suggestions in your poll, whilst almost in the same breath bemoaning traffic congestion at East Longman. Strewth!

In the absence of a bypass which remains as remote a prospect as ever, how on earth do you propose to get even a bottom of the range crowd of 3500 from the Bught along Glenurquhart Road and many of them then over the Ness Bridge at 5 o'clock on a Saturday? Then think "Old Firm" and double that up to 7000.

But, since you've raised the issue, how about also giving us an overview of how the ICT Trust would fund this, unless you reckon it can be done solely by selling on the remaining 83 years of the East Longman lease?

Finally, could I unobtrusively ask if you have read "Against All Odds"? In particular the chapter entitled "Finding A Home" discusses stadium location issues in some depth and the book hopefully also sheds some light on why, for instance, the stadium design and club name are as they are.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 6
  • Disagree 1

I give very little credence to the studies done regarding the location in 1993 and whilst a few people still hold on to the party line of "it was the only option", we all know (and many have confirmed to me) that we were pretty much given no option and the study was a waste of time, money and effort.

I also don't buy in to a lot of the arguments/excuses pedalled out in regards to the logistical/traffic issues and think that many of them could be overcome by thinking outside the box just a little and the benefits would far outweigh the problems.

However, in saying that, we're pretty much stuck with what we have and there's no existing finance or likelihood of finance in the foreseeable future which would even scratch the surface in terms of funding a move....no matter where you wanted to move too. Until that changes, all other arguments are pointless.

Its time for the club to move onto the next level and that will be achieved by moving stadium in my mind

OK, move the stadium in your mind, because that's the only place it's going to work. The traffic problems that would come with a move to Bught Park don't bear thinking about. The only area that comes to mind with relatively minor infrastructure changes required is around Culduthel. The existing A9 junction would still be worse than Longman, especially after a game.

If we/council/government could effect the changes required to roads to accommodate a move, why not put the same effort into providing improved access to the existing site? For example, an extended slip to the A9 (north off/south on only) starting 200 yards north of the Millburn Road/A96 slips, and feeding direcly to a new car park at the south-east of the stadium.

You seem determined to change some fundamental things about the club, so why don't we just move 20-odd miles down the road, rename the club to Badenoch and Strathspey Caledonian Thistle Rovers, and while we're at it, play shinty for a change.

I vote we relocate to Cradlehall...beside where the new University is to be built. Rather conveiniently....its right on my doorstep. It could work! You could get access from Inshes, the A9 or the A96. Aint i a genius? :twothumbsup:

Bughts Park would have been a superb venue if the infrastructure issues could have been resolved.

As Charles says, the chances of a bypass materialising in the near future, are about as about as likely as Rangers chances of winning the Champions League.

Bughts Park would have been a superb venue if the infrastructure issues could have been resolved.

As Charles says, the chances of a bypass materialising in the near future, are about as about as likely as Rangers chances of winning the Champions League.

Bught park seems to manage fine when its Bonfire Night, when there is about 3 times the crowd ICT would attract!! I think my idea is even better tho!

Just opposite the Airport, south side of A96. Iknow that would be a touch akward for the majority but then I could walk there.:twothumbsup:

Oh yes when I'm at it put a railway station there and a supporters club. It's not asking for much.:blink:

Edited by kilda

Bught park seems to manage fine when its Bonfire Night, when there is about 3 times the crowd ICT would attract!! I think my idea is even better tho!

15,000 at the bonfire...i don't think so!!

15,000 at the bonfire...i don't think so!!

I dont care what you think....the figures quoted are normally 12 000 - 15 000

The stadium is fine location-wise as it is. It is cold, exposed and windy but...

Pubs, the bus station and railway station and town are walkable. The away fans can get parked and away without much hassle and If the game is mince, at least the views are nice and you can watch the planes flying in to the airport.

That's about all I can think of.

We could not afford to move, there is no business going to buy TCS for enough money to buy land anywhere else.

The A96 corridor is prime land for developement as is inshes/A9 sector, and if you think that area is even further away from the city centre than where we are at present, and anyway the location is nothing to do with gome form.

Stay where we are.

positives about stadium location

• Lovely scenery
  • good parking
  • modern stadium
  • easy to get to on A9

Negatives about stadiums location

• hard to get during the week if you don't drive
  • it's cold
  • bad traffic after game

OK Dougal... your campaign to change the name hasn't been too successful with over 90% voting for the status quo, so it now seems that you now want to relocate instead.

So, given that an extensive study was made of this by Bruce Hare in 1993 and the realistic options in and around Inverness were very limited indeed, where would you be planning to go?

I note that you include the Bught, or another City Centre localtion among your suggestions in your poll, whilst almost in the same breath bemoaning traffic congestion at East Longman. Strewth!

In the absence of a bypass which remains as remote a prospect as ever, how on earth do you propose to get even a bottom of the range crowd of 3500 from the Bught along Glenurquhart Road and many of them then over the Ness Bridge at 5 o'clock on a Saturday? Then think "Old Firm" and double that up to 7000.

But, since you've raised the issue, how about also giving us an overview of how the ICT Trust would fund this, unless you reckon it can be done solely by selling on the remaining 83 years of the East Longman lease?

Finally, could I unobtrusively ask if you have read "Against All Odds"? In particular the chapter entitled "Finding A Home" discusses stadium location issues in some depth and the book hopefully also sheds some light on why, for instance, the stadium design and club name are as they are.

:blink:

Ive been to grounds in city centres throughout the Uk and Europe many in very built up areas where the crowds are on a lot larger scale than ICT

I personally would like to see a 10k stadium at the Bught similar to St Johnstones but with all four corners filled in

The poster who mentioned the crowd at bonfire night is 100% correct as there are bigger crowds then, than they ever will be at any football matches

A move to the bught would attract at least 500-1000 more than we get at present

Finally i havent read "Against All odds" i find it highly amusing that nearly every post you make you seem to make a reference to it:laugh:

Don't think i'll be rushing out to buy one somehow even if they are still in print

Dougal

Edited by dougal
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The Longman isn't difficult to get to if you don't have a car. It's maybe a mile from the train station. 15 min walk. Bught is probably the same in the other direction. I don't see the issue really. The Hunting lodge (pub) in kIllie is maybe 10 mins walk from Rugby Park. Not much difference.

Finally i havent read "Against All odds" i find it highly amusing that nearly every post you make you seem to make a reference to it:laugh:

Don't think i'll be rushing out to buy one somehow even if they are still in print

Well if you had, it might have given you enough background on the club to save you the trouble of starting threads suggesting things which a large majority of people clearly regard as non starters.

And no, it's not in print since it sold out some years ago.

:blink:

Ive been to grounds in city centres throughout the Uk and Europe many in very built up areas where the crowds are on a lot larger scale than ICT

I personally would like to see a 10k stadium at the Bught similar to St Johnstones but with all four corners filled in

The poster who mentioned the crowd at bonfire night is 100% correct as there are bigger crowds then, than they ever will be at any football matches

A move to the bught would attract at least 500-1000 more than we get at present

Dougal

Sorry but what a load of nonsense you post. Our crowds increase by 1,000 if we move stadium...baws!!

You're absolutely right of course and there's an ideal city centre location. "Lochgorm Stadium" with access from Academy Street, Millburn Road, Longman Drive, Strothers Lane and Railway Terrace. Move the railway station to where the stadium is now.