Stadium Location

dougal

76 members have voted

1. 1. Where to go?

• Stay at the Longman?
    • Move to the Bught Park?
    • Move to another Outskirt location?Where?
    • Move to another City centre location?Where?

Even if other options were feasible, I think the current site is excellent. Whilst some traffic congestion is inevitable, there is probably less caused at the current site than would be elsewhere. It is close enough from the city centre to walk but there is enough space at the ground and close by for all who come by car. A further advantage with it being by the sea is that problems with frost and snow is kept to a minimum (not that I am suggesting for one minute that our esteemed member, Snow, causes problems!)

The problem with the current site is the stadium. Rather than move, if we had the capital the best thing would be to knock it down and start again. It is a windy site so you need stands on all four sides to keep the wind out and the noise in. Stands should also be steeper which would both help in enclosing the pitch and giving fans a better view. Having entrances to all stands from the back would allow all the seats to be closer to the pitch which would further help with atmoshere and the viewing experience.

I appreciate that both the North and South stands had to be built as quickly and as cheeply as possible to enable us to be promoted to the SPL but I never understood why the main stand was built in the way it was. If you wanted to design a stand that would produce as little atmoshere as possible, ensure supporters get as wet as possible when it rains and to be bothered by the glare of the sun, you couldn't have done better.

I am sure a ground which catered better for the paying public would result in a bigger increase in crowd numbers than a relocation to any other site would, but unless some rich benefactor comes along and pours money into the club, it aint going to happen any time soon.

What could feasibly be done is to remove the existing roof from the main stand and construct a roof which properly covers the main stand but without such a steep angle up. This could then link in with the North and South stands with a superstructure not unlike that of the 2 stands. This would be a relatively cheap and cheerful fix but it would allow the noise to be bouced back into the stadium, help to create more atmosphere and keep folk drier. I don't know how many folk this would encourage to attend who stay away at the moment, but it would be some. There would therefore be some level of return for the investment.

Bear in mind also that if a better home atmosphere is reflected on the pitch by an improved home record, then that could make the difference of staying up or being relegated, or of being bottom 6 or top 6. The difference could be just a single match going the other way. These slim margins could mean a big financial difference and therefore it could actually be a very sound investment.

The reason the away games have more atmosphere I would say is that it takes tramendous effort and commitment on behalf of the traveling suporters. They dont sit there moaning at there own team.Are we sujesting we up roots to accomodate folk who cant be bothered going to home games because "its to far" or "its to cold". Look at Ayr last season a ramshakle old stadium but not a sweetie rustler in sight.

For me the location is fine. Yes it's a 20 min walk from town but what stadium in the country isn't. Its a fair distance from Glasgow city centre to Ibrox, Parkhead, Partick etc. Its a good 20 mins walk from Dundee centre to either of the two stadiums there. McDairmid is over two miles from the centre of Perth. Same goes for Edinburgh and Aberdeen and most other places I've been.

The difference with all of them is that over time houses, shops and pubs have been built around the stadia. That could well happen at Longman in the future.

The Bught is nearly as far in the opposite direction from the centre and I think it would be very difficult to relocate to there without building a complex that can be used by the community as thats who the parks belong to.

I think, in time, there will be developments around the Longman that will enhance what we have but if we could rebuild there I'd like to see a stadium like THIS ONE 15,000 comfy seats, fully enclosed with training facilities, tennis courts and an hotel. And its only about twenty minute walk from the train station.

Finally, neither the stadium nor the name nor the strip keep people away. It takes years, and some success, for any club to build a fanbase. We are slowly increasing numbers and will continue to do so as time goes on. Our averages are on a par with others by population and the current financial climate is not helping any clubs. The rebel excuse, the stadium location and any other excuse can be used to justify low numbers but the bottom line is people dont have the spare cash any more and many other things take priority on a saturday afternoon.

• Agree 1

I dont think there is anything wrong with where the stadium is. Its easy to get to by road, 20 mins from station. It would be nice if the stands were closer to the picth as i think the 2 goal end stands are too far from the pitch, this is the main thing i would like to see changed. Would be nice if it was more enclosed as it can get very cold at times. Overall, we aint got a bad stadium

the old safeway next to the multistorey carpark would suit me perfect :D

That site would be very central, but its not big enough and conjestion would be a nightmare. Although, if i were big enough, then the multistory would be good for parking and shops/restraunts would benefit from passing trade at full time.

Stratton Farm (on way from A96 to Smithton) was the option that scored best in the 1993 appraisal. It was and still is on a bus route, it can be approached from three different directions and further road improvements are planned in conjunction with new development. It is also not in Inverness which was significant in 1993/4 as at that time we didn't have Inverness in the club's name. Stratton Farm is also now owned by Inverness Estates, one of Mr Sutherland's and ICT Director David Cameron's companies. They got planning approval to build a new town centre there last month. Doesn't require much out of the box thinking then?

Edited by Row S
  • Agree 1

The stadium is fine where it is !!!

If you move to the Bught - which I personally agree would be a decent location - then it is NOT central. It would be on the western outskirts of the town and mean a longer distance for supporters from the eastern side of the town. You will never please everyone and the 500 you might pick up from the west of the town would likely be offset by the 500 you might lose from the east. There is no way for any of us to know for sure.

With regards to Bught, I do not buy into the idea that roads/infrastructure is a problem, at least not one that cannot be solved. A move to the Bught might finally prod local and national government to complete a proper bypass/ring-road that the authorities have only really played around with for years. This would leave you with a stadium that is similar in accessibility to something like Mcdiarmid Park.

Having said that, I still favour TCS right where it is .......

It may not be exactly central right now but as the focus of the town is moving South and East with almost every development, then central is what it will end up. There is also the A96 corridor to consider. The local plan calls for an "entertainment village" in a thin strip from Allanfearn all the way to the Kessock Bridge bounded by the Firth, the A96 and the A9. This should see all manner of entertainment type facilities popping up as well as marinas etc. The plan showed the TCS as the central point of this area. If it happens, and I know it is a big 'IF', then we are perfectly placed.

The final reason - and its the most simple one - as stated by Caley100, we simply cannot afford this pie-in-the-sky type of move. Building a stadium, even with the help of someone else (eg Asda, Tesco or such like - and you have to ask why they would pay so much for a chunk of reclaimed land in the middle of an industrial estate .... ) would still cost us a fortune and I would rather see us consolidate ourselves in the SPL and make gradual progress on the stadium we already have and have already pumped mi??ions of ?s into.

• Agree 1

the old safeway next to the multistorey carpark would suit me perfect :D

That site would be very central, but its not big enough and conjestion would be a nightmare. Although, if i were big enough, then the multistory would be good for parking and shops/restraunts would benefit from passing trade at full time.

it would cost alot to knock down the safeway and its right next to a cemetry not the best idea ive every had :laugh:

Scotty the "move it over to Canada" is an abuse of your admin rights surely?? ;-)

A groundshare with TFC at downtown BMO stadium would work for me and Luvgravy !!! Although one or two of you guys might think it a bit far ...... :ictscarf:

We could also divert the River Ness to give us that center of town location, stop the arguement that its on the wrong side of town aswell. No problem whatsoever, as its the only bit of the town centre thats not altready built on. What a wonderful idea Douglas. Id rather slowely build up our supporter base as the kids get older, and eventually build a 4th stand to hold another 5000 and at the same time offer those in the main stand a little bit of shelter from the weather, or at best shade from the glaring sunlight that means you can hardly see the game on a nice day.

Where would the money come from, or do you know this guy from Aberdeen that once helped run a club but pulled out when they didnt get promoted and didnt pay the TAX man. Get real, or are you the Euro lottery winner!

In my opinion, i think that saying the stadia and the location of which, is fairly rediculous.

But,

I do think that given the chance, we should move. The Stadium is great to see for people who have just came into Inverness for the first time and see it. Though, being beside the sea means all the atmosphere is taken away by the wind. It also gets veeerrry cold being next to the sea.

The Park for me!

Stratton Farm (on way from A96 to Smithton) was the option that scored best in the 1993 appraisal.

Yes... second time round, after it had been designated INE's favoured location. If I remember correctly, the first pronouncement had only East Longgman, West Seafield and Inshes but they were suddenly joined by Stratton Farm which shot to top of the list. I remember the very day the Stratton Farm rabbit emerged from the hat, Hugh Crout (ex President of Caley), made an instant claim that the motivation behind this was for INE to kick start the Golden Mile.

Thereafter it was INE and Stratton Farm versus Caley Thistle and East Longman. The Board initially made a very ambiguous choice of Stratton but that was then overturned when the District Council agreed to lease land at East longman.

As much as I think this dougal lad is on the wind up, he is correct in saying our stadium is pretty terrible and in an awful location.

It never bothered me when I lived in Inverness but I know that it does put people off, how many fairweather fans there are I've no idea, nobody does. Right now our stadium solely caters for supporters who are driving to the ground, comfortably at least. For me any future move has to consider that not everybody wants to drive to a game, theres no way to tell if a move to a more central location would discourage fans who had to park further from the ground on a match day.

What I will say though- I live down the road from Tynecastle in Edinburgh, 6 days a week the traffic jams up almost constantly and there isnt a parking space anywhere near the stadium. The nearest train station is a 20 minute walk away and the taxi's are the most expensive in Scotland, on paper the stadium is in a horrible location compared to ours in terms of access.

Thats if you define access as being able to park a few feet away from the stand you'll be sitting in and having the ability to make a quick getaway at full time, without wanting to make any compromises whatsoever. In terms of catering and 'refreshment' options around Tynecastle, they are on a different planet to us. It's already been said that in the past these stadiums were built on old playing fields, they had to be near where people lived as most folk had no choice but to walk. Thats true but now fans are willing to make a little sacrifice in terms of how far they can park from the stadium if it means they've options on where to eat/drink around the ground.

Also the traffic around a tight urban space such as Gorgie never really gets that bad for more than 10-15 minutes, as not only is everybody heading in different directions after the game but also not everybody has parked their car in the same place.

I've no idea if access is a big issue or not but we would only gain support by moving to a less isolated site.... all said it doesnt really matter as we're stuck with one weird stand and two lego ones, in the middle of nowhere, for a good while yet :cool:

It is my opinion that many of us have simply got used to the stadium in the Longman and we all now firmly see this as the home of our team.

I personally think that the bught would be a great place for a football stadium, but present situation and circs, etc prevent this.