Our Prayers Could be Answered

tm4tj

I seriously doubt that this strike will go ahead but the refs (quite rightly) have made a real statement here and the SFA will simply have to come up with a compromise. The really good news fer us is that we are going in to Centre Court on Saturday where the Cellic players, management and supporters will be under major media scrutiny. Those eejits do not have the fecki savvy to turn it to their advantage.

• Agree 1

Just to throw in my tuppence worth I too fully support the refs. I also abhor lennon's whiny ginger cheating face. The abuse the refs have been getting recently is ridiculous. The fact that most of this is coming from John Reid and Neil Lennon makes it all the worse.

Lennon I can get over. Many managers shout about how badly their club is treated. Robbo at Hearts was one of the worst. What makes the difference is the insidious nature of their board. Rumours of a dossier, backhand comments about corruption yet nothing actually is said. It all completely plays into the paranoid nature of the Celtic fans. Reid is playing this for a game of politics. Refs haven't made any difference to Celtic losing the league to a broke Rangers, losing in Europe to a lesser team and losing in the Scottish Cup to Ross County.

That said, Dougie McDonald does have to go. He lied. But why did he lie?? He actually got the decision correct. Dundee United had the biggest complaint. The ref gave an unfair penalty against them. All that happened to Celtic is they didn't get a decision they didn't deserve.

Think the way Celtic, Neil Lennon, John Reid, Gary Hooper etc etc have behaved and spoken has been an absolute disgrace. They should each be heavily fined and banned with a points deduction suspended pending their attitude in the future.

THEY HAVE ONLY GOT AWAY WITH THIS SO FAR BECAUSE THEY ARE CELTIC,

Can you imagine what would have happened if this was Terry, George and Adam that were crying cheat. Why do Celtic not get the decisions - when over the years they have won free kicks and penalties because the opponent had a curry the night before. Some of their now previous players would go done like Gillian McKeith, but hey did Hooper not blatantly dive 3 times in the Hearts game, but got booked for the first simulation and the other two in the hearts penalty box were ignored. Cheating! Saw the spl highlights tonight and should Mastjovich not have been sent off for this blatant block on Goodwillie as last man, not cheating in this case but a ref mistake in Lennons favour, but no word about that one from Mr Lennon.

However, although Celtic have gone way way over the top about this, a lot of Celtic supporters will believe the hype, and this then becomes a very hostile situation every time a ref does make a mistake or misses a foul etc. Cant imagine what could happen at Ibrox if the ref misses a Celtic penalty at the away end, or Rangers get a pen for an act of simulation. The ref who takes charge of that one will need elephant like skin because he will be in a no win situation.

Again however, the sfa should have acted sooner and more severly to punish the lie from the ref McDonald. His decision was right to reverse the penalty, but i bet he wishes he didnt scribble that white lie. He has to go, but so should the refs decision process be changed for after the games. After all that with the Utd game we then got Broadgate, with a player already on his way down winning a penalty in Celtics own back yard. If Broadfoot wasnt diving early, Mastjovich was going to catch Kirk anyway, as he did with his left knee, but its really down to the fact that Broadfoot wasnt waiting for the genuine foul. But waiting for the genuine foul doesnt always get you a penalty - ( Broadfoot when he was taken down in the Man U box at Old Trafford )

Crux of the matter a lot of the time is the lack of honesty in players these days does not help refs. Players with bags full of talent dont need to go diving ( Ronaldo ) and we should be able to admire those who apear to not simulate death on the pitch like Messi. Time for football to get tough with the cheats, and get the game clean again.

Kick out McDonald, throw the rule book of eticet at Celtic and start to ban players for cheating after the games. Only way to get the respect back and stop all the simulation

• Agree 1

Guest Mahonio

I seriously doubt that this strike will go ahead but the refs (quite rightly) have made a real statement here and the SFA will simply have to come up with a compromise. The really good news fer us is that we are going in to Centre Court on Saturday where the Cellic players, management and supporters will be under major media scrutiny. Those eejits do not have the fecki savvy to turn it to their advantage.

I agree with you regarding the bold bit Mr IHE because i doubt Mr Regan will want Scottish football to become a bigger laughing stock than it already is, it will be his toughest job as Chief Exec to date as a certain Mr J.White mentioned on SSN earlier on. I seriously doubt Stewart will want the WHOLE of the SPL, SFL1 AND Challenge Cup called off so will expect to hear about possible compromises sooner rather than later.

I want the Celtic match played on Sat, i don't want the record gifted to us, i believe we CAN EARN IT. I have a tenner on us getting a result :ictscarf:

Edited by Mahonio

As an occasional, unpaid and admittedly shoite referee I'm fully with the guys in the middle. I don't know what makes otherwise responsible people act like utter lunatics on a football field. I don't know what makes them think they can speak to me the way that some do. I don't know why I volunteer for the job! Anyway it would be ironic if the game at the home of the team acting most reprehensibly in this whole thing was called off, because I think all the advantage would be theirs. We are on a roll, they are not. We are the more motivated team for this game and we should have the biggest travelling support for a while behind the team. Lennon will be chuffed to bits. They should simply call him in and ban him for as many games as are required and make sure that he and Dougie MacDonald don't cross paths again this season. Dougie can then be quietly demoted in the close season; you just can't lie in his position. John Reid merits no response really, can you imagine our chairman behaving like that? Far from being the oppressed that the arrogant weegies portray themselves as, they are trying to drive the agenda again. I hope we don't let them.

^

What Davie has written I agree with.

The other consequence of this whole debacle are players on public parks, from school to veteran level, behaving in the same manner as their "heroes". This in turn puts people off refereeing and the pool of referees diminishes. I think the standard of refereeing in Scotland is good. The SFA has the most stringent fitness requirements in the world. To be a ref you have to give up following a team.

I want the Celtic match played on Sat, i don't want the record gifted to us, i believe we CAN EARN IT. I have a tenner on us getting a result :ictscarf:

Totally agree with that - we're on a roll right now, and the last thing we need is an interruption to our season. Like Mahonio I believe we can earn that record, but really it matters not a jot whether we make it or not.

What is important is that we consolidate our position in the Top 6.

Can't see a strike actually happening, but would back it as we need all the help we can get in getting our sport closer to using technology IMO.

I think it will happen unless the pig-headed idiots in the SFA that administer the game, can, as a matter of urgency, sit round a table with the refs, and Celtic FC and sort out this unholy feckin mess.

I too fully support the referee's in this one too. Just watch a neutral game where you have no preference about who wins and you'll see the referee is fair. I think Lennon has pushed his luck too far! His problem is he's a celtic fan and doesnt have the experience as a manager to realise how he has to act responsibly and how his actions cause many many problems. John Reid is just playing the politics card though, because say if the strike is cancelled and adam rooney goes down in the celtic box under a 50-50 challenge, how many referee's want to risk getting slated and celtic calling for them to be sacked. Its not bias in any way but with the pressure on the referee's right now I think this may count against us im afraid!

I'm probably going to get some abuse for this but hey ho, I'll just go on strike.:tongueincheek:

Referees get paid (anyone know how much for a top flight ref?) to do a job.If they do that job well they get promoted up to European, world cup games. If they do that job badly (Dougie) then they will get slated. They will get called all sorts of things, they will have their parentage questioned and even possibly get the odd hollow death threat. As far as I'm concerned, if that is as far as it goes so what, it's part of the job and at the end of the day sticks and stones etc. Try going to Afghanistan and doing your job badly, it won't be sticks and stones coming at you and you won't be able to go on strike either.

I think that too many people in this day and age are too quick to start moaning and complaining about the way thay are treated. In the old days if a ref got some abuse off a player, manager, fan he would have given as good as he got. Unfortunately there are too many spoilt brats in the game (on all sides of the whistle) that can't take it.

All this strike will do is alienate refs even more because it will inconvenience so many people that have booked trains, planes, buses, hotels etc.

Man up and get on with it.

PS: If the player, manager etc does go a bit over the top (Celtic) Then the SFA should be man enough to do something about it.

Edited by Oz647
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 3

The referees have a helluva time. I refereed once, in high school, biggest mistake ever. Referees dont make mistakes on purpose. Im sure they'd be the first to adopt technology, they're not allowed.

How much does a ref get for a game? Not a lot i'd wager. Mr MacDonald made a panicked error - geez, a lot of people here must be very sage and wise to be calling for his head...witchunts will only drive numbers down.

Solution: pay refs 2 grand a game...then we'll have a bigger, better, more competitive pool to pick from. I'm surprised they can muster up 12 as it is.

I'm not surprised by the silence so far from SPL/SFA, the last thing that's needed is a knee jerk reaction into an already volatile situation. It needs statesmanship and there seems to be a complete lack of that right now. What angers me most is that "Celtic would welcome the strike" I'm sure that they would, not least because a potentially tricky fixture on Saturday gets put on the back boiler and gives Lennon another couple of weeks on the training ground to sort out his underachieving employees. And all because they have engineered this situation with a snide campaign of backhanded inuendo. Shame on them. Lennon and Reid should not be allowed to get away with this, and it is to them that any compensation claims from fans should be directed. Sorry, forgot - since when did they give a monkeys about fans of scottish football. The sooner they get relocated to the EPL (wherre they want to be and everything is rosy) the better

.:annoyed:

aturday November 27

Celtic v Inverness CT - Terry Christie

Hamilton Accies v St Mirren - Frank Coulston

Hibernian v St Johnstone - Alan Dick

Kilmarnock v Aberdeen - Andy Ritchie

Sunday November 28

Dundee United v Rangers - Kevin Collins

(Live on ESPN, 12 noon)

Motherwell v Hearts - John Connolly

(Live on Sky Sports, 2.15pm)

Has anyone heard of any off these refs? I have never seen any off them ref ICT. Looks like it is sub refs for Saturday. It is taken from the SPL website.