Shnty Champions

Alex MacLeod

Too close to call I think. I've seen both teams defeating Kingussie this month and both were very impressive. Newtonmore got off to a whirlwind start in the Bedenoch Derby which they won 6-0 while the Fort looked equally impressive in the Camanachd Cup Final.

One vital factor may be that Fort William have to win the game while a draw will do Newtonmore who are, incredibly, looking for their first league title in 25 years (Kingussie having won all but one of the intervening honours since More's Grand Slam in 1985.)

They're already calling it "Shinty Super Saturday" with at least two and maybe four title or relegation issues up for decision.

In Lochaber the game plan is for Kilmallie to play Caberfeidh at 1pm with Kilmallie needing a point to clinch the North Division 1 title. Then a very short trip to An Aird Fort William for 3:30 will find the Fort playing Newtonmore for the Premier League.

But it doesn't stop there. Bute also play Inveraray at The Winterton and a Bute victory (but in practice a point) would not only relegate Oban Camanachd from the Premier League but also put Camanachd's reserves Lochside Rovers down to South Division 2 to make room for their own first team in Division 1.

Had I not been detailed for ICT v Aberdeen, I would have been strongly tempted down the A82 on Saturday.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Aye fair play to them, they must be absolutely ecstatic at winning their first title since 1985.

I can't imagine how good the party must have been in Newtonmore last night.

One thing which annoys me is the pathetic coverage of the game in general but in particular yesterday's league decider. I bought the Sunday Mail and Sunday Herald today and I can't see any report in either (unless I just can't find it)

I feel too, that BBC Scotland should have given us updates. I know it isn't of huge interest to the general public but it is in the Highlands and it's no' a small place !

Well done Newtonmore.

Fort 0-1 Newtonmore.........That's why they're Champions.

0-0 would have done them! It was an historic day for Newtonmore since this is their first league title in 25 years and their first ever in the Premier League since their 1985 triumph was back in the days of the MacGillivray North League. I think it's also good for the game to have three different teams winning the three national honours, the Premier League, the Camanachd Cup and the MacAulay Cup although Kingussie did do the double with the MacTavish as well as the MacAulay.

All that really remains now is Premier League relegation since Bute missed out on their chance of guaranteed survival yesterday when they lost 2-1 at Inveraray so whoever loses between Bute and Oban Camanachd in Rothesay this Saturday will go down although Bute can afford a draw.

And what a day for George Fraser! A massive 2-0 win for Caley Thistle and the shinty team of which he is a legend also do the business in the Premier League. George has admitted that Newtonmore's last league success was sooooo long ago that he actually played that season!

Edited by Charles Bannerman