Will Rooney stick around?

SMEE

Just wondered what the general feeling about whether or not Adam will sign on with us...or be tempted away? I hope Rooney dont fall into the trap of thinking the grass is greener on the other side. Quite a few players have left ICT only to find their careers go downhill. Inverness may not offer the biggest wage going....but there is more to consider in life than just money! I think all in all.....he is onto a good way of life up here, and i think he might realise that.

• Agree 1

My gut feeling is that he will sign another year but probably move on at the end of the season.

I think it will be a HUGE mistake if he does...so am hoping it dont work out that way. I beleive, life at ICT is quite unique, and gets the best out of players. Something to do with the Highland way. Other teams simply dont have that, hence why so many players flourish here, but not at other temas.

Small Championship teams / big League 1 teams can offer Adam 3 or 4 times the weekly wage that we can. With 11 goals in 15 SPL games his stock is never going to be higher. If i was in his shoes i'd seize the moment and hoof it January.

Aye granted.....but chances are...he might end up in some dump down south, and the culture shock might ruin his game. aS I say....theres more to life than money. In fact...money aside, i dont think theres a team who could offer him more than ICT. He is on to a good thing here....i guess it depends on how greedy he is. If he did move for three to four times the wage hes getting here...no one could blame him. If its football that matters to him...then...i think hed be silly to move on

Edited by SMEE

I could see him signing a PCA in January with a team like Nottingham Forest, Doncaster or Melchester Rovers. He will finish out his Caley days by becoming the first ICT player to bag 25 goals in an SPL season, culminating in a Berbatov style five goal plunder against Celtic at Parkhead in May.

• Agree 1

I really want him too and i think he will sign a new contract with the club. Still think he will leave in the summer but that hopefully if he does we get some money for him. As much as people say dont move for the money, footballers dont have a career into their 50's so they need to find the balance between money and football. I think we've helped rooney immensly and he'll be forever grateful but i think he's getting to the stage where he could slot into a better team and enhance his career further. Im sure butcher will give him sound advice about where to move to.

Its a tough one .....

none of us in our right minds would want to see him go but we WILL lose him at some point. Even if not motivated by money, Adam will - quite rightly - want to play at the highest level he can and sadly (for us), that level is a bit above ICT. By all accounts he does like it up here and that has to be helped by having Jonny Hayes and Richie Foran around so hopefully he might stick around for another year but like many, I could see him signing a one year extension (to pay back ICT & TB for setting him on the road to stardom) and then moving on - for a fee - in the Summer.

He has made his name becasue of ICT, I don't remember a queue of clubs after him before. I think the least he could do would be to sign a new contract and then if a club does want him they will have to pay for him and the club would benifit from that. Leaving for free gains the club nothing. Sign a 3 year deal, keep the form up and then move on to someone for decent money

I'm almost certain that money is not his motivation.

Considering he signed from stoke, who had just been promoted to the english premier at the time, i would imagine he probably took a pay cut in the first place.

He's a great guy, on and off the park, and i think it'd be fantastic for all concerned if he stayed.

I think his stock would be far higher if he were to stay for another season and replicate his scoring record next term.

Who's to say he can replicate his current scoring record? It would be a helluva gamble for the boy to stay with us on the assumption that we'll keep playing so well / he'll keep scoring so many goals / we'll keep getting so many penalties. This is his chance to go and play at a higher level and make himself more financially secure. He has to take it now.

There seems to be something about Inverness that brings out the best in players. It is not just Terry Butcher who has managed that, probably all our managers have brought players in who have markedly improved whilst here whilst very few have come in with a good reputation and underperformed. Perhaps it is the culture in the club, the quality of the backroom staff or just the quality of life in the City. Several of our best players have been key players for us and have moved on to bigger clubs only to become squad players at best. Nobody has really stepped up a level having left Inverness. Barry Robson did well at Celtic and got into the national side but it could be argued that he was playing at that level when he left us. Don Cowie is also doing well - but Watford! He might be getting paid more but it still ain't the big time.

And unless they do make a name for themselves and become a big name in a bigger club they are just going to stagnate and will not attract the big money. As long as Inverness are playing at the level they are, players are going to get a fair bit of exposure and if they can maintain that consistently over 3 or 4 seasons then they genuinely will be worth other clubs bidding big money. I am sure Adam will want to play at a big club someday but he is still very young and now is not the time. If he doesn't keep scoring here, he won't score regularly for a bigger club.

My advice would be to sign a longer term contract with Inverness where the ingredients have been right so far to allow his game to develop considerably. This would give his team mates a boost and help to ensure the club continues to play at a high level where he will get the opportunity to prove what a good and improving player he is. If he continues to improve then big clubs may come after him but he shouldn't go until a club thinks he is worth big money. It seems to happen all the time that a bigger club comes in for a player but offers peanuts. The player thinks this is the opportunity of a lifetime and then is lucky to get into the first team. If a bigger club thinks the player is good enough to be a key player in the side, they will pay big money. If they don't then it isn't worth the player going.

Sign a 3 year deal Adam. It's in your interest, the clubs interest and, dare I say it, your Country's interest. Stay here and keep knocking the goals in and you will get the success you so richly deserve,

Another thing that i think has to be taken into consideration is that Rooney has struck a very strong understanding with Foran and Hayes, you watch them on the field of play and the way the read each others game, it's really something to watch. The Hibs game was a prime example of that. They all set up each other for all the goals.

I think if Rooney went somewhere else he would struggle to create such a strong bond with team mates.

• Agree 1

I think his stock would be far higher if he were to stay for another season and replicate his scoring record next term.

Who's to say he can replicate his current scoring record? It would be a helluva gamble for the boy to stay with us on the assumption that we'll keep playing so well / he'll keep scoring so many goals / we'll keep getting so many penalties. This is his chance to go and play at a higher level and make himself more financially secure. He has to take it now.

Move to the Championship? That move didn't work out well for Kris Boyd. I just think if he can prove that he can keep finding the net that his stock would be far greater come the end of next season. I would probably put money on Rooney following the management team.

As it stands in the championship, there are several teams in with a shout of the playoffs. In terms of league goals scored in order of league position after 19 games:

QPR (35)

Cardiff (34)

Swansea (24)

Derby (33)

Norwich (31)

Coventry (27)

Burnley (30)

Leeds (32)

Nottm Forest (21)

Doncaster (30)

Pure conjecture, but i'd imagine Swansea and Nottm Forest will be in the market for a striker and the only kind of club with matching ambitions. Swansea are having terrible scoring problems, a winger is their top scorer with 8 league goals in 16 games, with Stephen Dobbie behind with 4. Craig Beattie has 1. Nottm Forest have some bigger name strikers who prob wouldnt make way. So, I'd say Swansea is the only real potential destination.

Hopefully, Rooney will stay, Foran, Hayes, a record breaking season, Terry, belief, the fans, playing time, Maurice, euro push...sign another year!!!

I remember Adam saying in an Interview that he would rather first team squad choice than bench warming for more money, I beleve he'll stay, as Kirishima The Team, Managment, the club, and well... we are the Mighty!

If we have a good chance to play in the Europa cup next year then I would hope another season, then he gets to play in Europe with his team mates/friends and helps the club that has brought him on leaps and bounds in to Europe for the very first time.

I think Adam has to really think this through very carefully. He has really developed as a player - why, because he has had a consistent run of games. If he moves to another club, and does not play regularly, his development will suffer although he will earn more money.

Surely it is not impossible to put something in his contract giving him the option to move if a "bigger" club came in for him which would enable him to sign a new contract with ICT.

A workmate of mine who supports Stoke City says he thinks The Potters put a buy back clause in Adams contract so if he was to be sold they would have first refusal at a knock down price if it is within the 3 years of initial contract.

Does anyone know if this is true?

A workmate of mine who supports Stoke City says he thinks The Potters put a buy back clause in Adams contract so if he was to be sold they would have first refusal at a knock down price if it is within the 3 years of initial contract.

Does anyone know if this is true?

I've also heard this from a SCFC season ticket holder but I cant verify it for sure .