2018 World Cup

Yngwie

Host nation announced tomorrow.

Where do you want it to be held? Where do you think it will be held?

I'll go for Spain/Portugal for both questions. I'd probably prefer it if it was Spain going solo, I'm not sure why they needed to bring in a junior partner. Spain last hosted a tournament in 1982 and I have great recollections of that one.

I think England would be a good host too, but I don't know if they are devious enough to win the vote.

According to one of the broadsheets at the weekend - either The Sunday Times or The Observer, can't remember which - the Spain/Portugal bid was the clear favourite, on the first round of voting at least. But then a lot of pundits on the BBC tonight were plumping for Russia. Neither seemed to think England stood much of a chance.

I'd like to see a World Cup in the British Isles in my lifetime, but I'd also like to see Russia get it if only because they've never hosted it before.

According to the SKY news desk this morning, the bookies have heard something that has seen the odds drop on Engerlund getting the nod, reckon its the prescence of Cameron, Becks and Prince.

But hold on... did you see the pitch invasion at Birmingham last night after the cup win over Villa? that looks like the old days!

The dutch always said they wanted their bikes back.

Russia should get it simply because they've never had it before. England had Euro 96 and world cup 66, Spain had Euro 64 and World cup 82 and Portugal had Euro 06. England are even on to their second Olympics! As much as I would love it to be held on this island, it's not our turn.

I havent been following this - or the scandals - that closely, and looking just at the countries involved I would have to pick Russia or Belgium/Holland for 2018 and Australia or Qatar for 2022

for 2018 - Neither Russia nor Belgium/Holland has hosted before and at least two of those three countries have been up there at or near the top end of the table of world football on one or more occasions. I am leaning towards Russia.

for 2022 - I would eliminate 3 of the 5 immediately as they have all hosted previously. The Yanks are probably best placed to host it in terms of being able to stage massive events and the slow burning but definite growth of MLS in recent years shows 'soccer' is alive and well over here but its too soon to give it to them again. We just did the first one in Africa, we have done North America, South America, Europe and the Far East, so now its perhaps the turn of Oceania or the Middle East. Qatar is a western ally but its bid might hinge on the stability of the region so for that reason, and because the aussies also know how to put on an event, I am going for them.

thinking about it ... in two world cups, we might be able to eradicate the hooliganism problems emanating from various countries .... in 2018 we can send them to the Gulags, and whoever is left for 2022 (with apologies to our users from there) can be shipped to the colonies :rotflmao:

2018 bids

Belgium and the Netherlands

England (hosts in 1966)

Portugal and Spain (hosts in 1982)

Russia

2022 bids

Australia

Japan (joint hosts in 2002)

Qatar

South Korea (joint hosts in 2002)

United States (hosts in 1994)

The dutch always said they wanted their bikes back.

Russia should get it simply because they've never had it before. England had Euro 96 and world cup 66, Spain had Euro 64 and World cup 82 and Portugal had Euro 06. England are even on to their second Olympics! As much as I would love it to be held on this island, it's not our turn.

Third.....they had 1908 and 1948

No doubt the BBC will be blamed for it

The Birmingham and Villa hooligans could also be blamed .

I'm listening to 5 Live and they're blaming anyone they can find. Shocking lack of dignity from our neighbours whose display of arrogance and hypocrisy continues to prevent them from hosting this tournament.

The timing of their slanderous allegations beggared belief.

Only slander (or is a broadcast actually libel?) if it cannot be proved to be true . . . and considering the recent Live Aid = Guns apology, I would have thought that they would have triple checked facts and verified sources before transmission. Assuming there are enough people left on the editorial teams to do so.

Of course the BBC claimed the timing was a coincidence but that is a very poor excuse. They could have re-jigged the schedules so it came in after the announcement - if it wasn't deliberate then it was simply negligent. Then again, maybe they thought this week would be a slow news week and making news on the news is a means to making sure there is at least something to report on!

Edited by FoolPhysio