3rd biggest crowd for a caley game...

hobopete

I was recently in Northern Bangladesh as part of a project looking to build cheap floodproof housing. While we were over there the local builder, who was leading our work, had just set aside some land to be used as a football pitch for local kids. He wanted to have a bit of an opening ceremony for the pitch so organised a match between us lot and a local youth team. I thought I'd bring over a Caley Thistle ball over and spread the good name of the mighty ICT that little bit further!

ictscarf.gif

We thought this would just be a bit of a laugh and a kickabout but soon found out from the local gossip that it was getting built up as a big deal for the local villages - mainly due to the fact that we had been billed as International Superstars - must have been a let down, expecting Ronaldo and not even getting Kirk Broadfoot! Walking the couple of miles from our building site to the pitch set the tone, initially we had about 20 folk walking along the path with us which quickly grew to a couple of hundred. When we came through the trees into the clearing for the football it was absolutely incredible - it was like walking into a festival.

95042934.jpg

Pre-match crowds

57853978.jpg

International Superstars!rotflmao.gif

73415204.jpg

The opposition - bunch of ringers!

85353119.jpg

Action Shot! Can just about see the caley emblem on the ball... Barefoot as well, you don't realise how hard football is without boots till you try - well that was my excuse anyway

After the game we were told that an estimated 5000-6000 people had turned up for the match. Roads were blocked for miles and people were rafting across the half-mile wide river to come watch! I reckon that makes it the third biggest attendance for a game involving a Caley Thistle ball this season!

And by the way, we won 1.0party.gif

Anyway, I was wondering to what other faraway places has the good ICT name been taken to? Flags in Brazilian Pubs? An Ian Stewart shirt in deepest Transilvania?!

• Agree 19

That's fantastic hobo.

I'm sure the brand has been around the world, so come on guys and girls, tell us about it and give us the photographic evidence like pete has.

Brilliant stuff. :twothumbsup:

Excellent story and pictures, mate. Have a greeny.

Edited to add: not quite as exotic, but in the spirit of tm4tj's request, I just remembered I had this picture of Arbroathawayday taking the ICT message to Verona in 2005:

post-331-0-77925000-1291750033_thumb.jpg

Edited by alternative maryhill

great story

as for me i have taken a caley flag away with me to Basra, and when i can dig it out i have a photo i used to try and get on soccer am of me and a random wearing caley tops holding the flag as a controlled explosion goes off in the background

also manage to take a picture of a caley sticker on the back of a discovery in the falklands, had a collection of tops with me too for training in the gym

would post pics but no idea how to host them etc etc

thanks scottie this pic is the one from the falklands, i will dig the external hard drive out for the basra one

Edited by Tug

This was hanging in my local bar in Toronto for a few years ..... until they turned it into a Starbucks !!! Now its in my basement and will be on my wall when I get round to putting it inside a shadowbox.

Its an actual shirt from the Feb 8th 2000 game .... and before anyone says 'hey wait a minute, we were sponsored by Scotrail at that point', the reason it has a Sharp logo on it is because ICT also wore the exact same shirts in the Hearts cup game at Tynecastle a couple of seasons later ... we switched from our red/blue vertical stripes as it was thought to clash with Herts' maroon .... so this top has been on the park at two of ICT's famous victories ....

post-2-0-62030700-1291749753_thumb.jpg

would post pics but no idea how to host them etc etc

below the box where you are typing there is an attachment box (unless using fast reply in which case there will be a button that says 'use full editor'. click that to load the full reply box and it will be there).

the attachment box will allow you to browse to a file and then "attach this file" to this thread. When attached, it also gives you the option to insert into post .......

tried that scottie but just comes up with the insert url thing...tried clicking on insert image but didnt do anything like letting me browse for a file

I am assuming you mean when clicking on this icon picture.png ???

Thats not the one !!! .... look below the text box and you should see this .....

post-2-0-80834500-1291751390_thumb.png

click browse to browse your computer and select a file then click "attach this file" to attach it to the post. If you do nothing else, it will appear in your post as an attachment at the end. However, if you want to show it somewhere in the post you can move your cursor there and click the "add to post" button that appears after you uploaded a pic.

post-2-0-13502100-1291751506_thumb.png

If you do not see the upload pic buttons, then you may be in the 'fast reply' box .... again, looking below the text box you should see some options, one of these is to "use full editor" ... click it and the upload options should now be present below the text box.

Five of the Denmark six at Farum on the way to the Stadium

post-33-0-65794000-1291803461_thumb.jpg

Alex modeling the latest in designer must have bags at the FC Nordsjaelland Stadium Denmark. :ictscarf:

post-33-0-86936100-1291803485_thumb.jpg

These were pre-season friendlies for our 2005/2006 season in the SPL. It was a scorcher of a day as well, absolutely roasting. August 2005.

Edited by tm4tj
Danish spelling is queer.

I'm sure I've told this story before, but I was wearing an ICT top in Cairo about 10 years ago and enthusiastic market trader called out "Come here my friend, I support Scotrail too!"

think we still have that pic on here somewhere ,,,,,,,, how much to keep the link supressed ?

A few websites ago Scotty did a feature on this, with lots of folk wearing their tops in exotic places. There was one of me and my oldest girl wearing ours in front of Castle Bran in Transylvania, and another with her in Ghana, training with a ladies team.

Love your story OP, it just shows that footbaal will bring us together, forget overpaid stars, FIFA allegations and warring governments, a good kick around unites people.

Great story hobopete - tell us more about the winning goal :clapping:

On our travels in 2006 we came across a wee bar in the heart of Singapore called The Sportsman. With a Rangers daft owner, it was adorned with footballing memorabilia and I was delighted to find this signed Caley Thistle top above the bar:

post-245-0-20344700-1291891007_thumb.jpg

• Agree 1

was the best bed space in the tent. right in the corner next to the aircon pipe. when were you in basra in 2006, i passed through a couple of times going up country on recoverys. you army?

I was in the T.A, left in 2008 though. I was in basra from Nov 06 to May 07.

A few websites ago Scotty did a feature on this, with lots of folk wearing their tops in exotic places. There was one of me and my oldest girl wearing ours in front of Castle Bran in Transylvania, and another with her in Ghana, training with a ladies team. Love your story OP, it just shows that footbaal will bring us together, forget overpaid stars, FIFA allegations and warring governments, a good kick around unites people.

Yup, its a great story. Remember your pics too Gordy .... let me see if I can dig out one or two from those days. I know I have yours somewhere as well as Yngwie's ... there may be others.

If people want, we can re-create a gallery in the gallery section soyou can all post your ICT across the world pictures ? easier than doingit in here

On our travels in 2006 we came across a wee bar in the heart of Singapore called The Sportsman. With a Rangers daft owner, it was adorned with footballing memorabilia and I was delighted to find this signed Caley Thistle top above the bar:

I seem to remember that this came up before a couple of years ago or more .... cant remember the full story behind it but seem to remember vaguely about an ex-pat ICT fan living there or something.