ICT -V- Rangers : Matchday Thread

Scotty

Well worth the draw.

We absolutely controlled the first half and should have been more up. The Hayes 'goal of the season' was absolutely sensational.

Under the cosh for long spells in the second half and our defence stood up well. Well done lads. Even with so little possession we produced a couple of good chances.

Softest penalty I've seen in a long time. Beattie (who clearly has eaten all the pies) blatantly dived and should have been sent off. Good save by Esson althouth it was poorly taken.

Hayes was my 'Man of the match' by a mile. He really showed his class today. As did Mcgreggor for Rangers, having to prove many times why he is Scotland's no. 1 keeper.

All in all a decent result even though I feel we could have nicked it.

Despite the best effort of the ref to give Rangers the game I'm pleased with the draw.

We were by far the best side in the the first half but were under the cosh for the majority of the second.

Cracking goal from Hayes which I'm looking forward to seeing again and I also would like to see the penalty decision as it looked like a dive to me.

Disappointed Butcher took so long to take Eric off as he was dire today

Good game. First half we controlled I thought. Stunning strike from Hayes, though it was pretty much all he did in the first half. We had a couple of other chances, and we could easily have gone in at ht 2 up.

Second half...they gubbed us to be honest, and their goal had to come. We seemed to stand off them to much, and seemed very nervous in our own box. There were times when a big hoof up the park was all that was needed, but we seemed intet on trying to play our way out of the box, which often resulted in us giving possession straight back to them. Looked a clear dive for the pen, but Esson proved his worth again.

Only negatives for me were Eric, who was woeful. And we just didn't get Hayes into the game at all. It was easy to forget he was playing at times.

Great first half with perhaps the only disappointing thing being that we were only one up as it was clear Rangers wouldn't be so poor in the second half. Thought we struggled with the change in formation from them with Odihambo and Hayes in particualr not playing well. Super Johnny is a smasher but I wish he would just release the ball a bit earlier as he got caught 2 or 3 times with one leading to he penalty. Odi looked unfit in the second half and the amount of times he just wandered around and let players run off/by him was getting me a little frustrated to say the least.

Positives were the outstanding performances from both full backs - what a difference it makes when our defenders demand the ball as it allows us to build from the back. Think Shinnie in particular is improving at such a rate, watch how many times he intercepted the ball. If he can work on his attacking side I thnk we have a real good player on our hands.

Overall great result.

PS Miller and Beattie GIRFUY.

First thing I did on getting back from the game was watch the Hayes goal on SkyPlus. What a goal. What a goal. It looked good in real life - but it looks even better on the TV.

We've played a lot better than that this season though - Rangers had a go second half and we couldn't live with them. They probably had enough chances in the second half to win three matches. Hooray for Ryan Esson's big toe! Justice done as well - it was a shocking dive by Beattie for the pen.

Esson deserves MOTM for that alone; I also thought Cox and Duff did pretty well, and our centre-backs did better than I thought they would. Wish Nick Ross had been fit though, Odi looked very rusty indeed.

All in all though, I will take a point against those buckfast-swilling soap dodgers any day of the week. Well done Terry and Mo!

Not going to go as far as a Smileymometer as any result against the OF Home or Away has simply to be creditable.

Esson didnt really have that much to do but, as ever, produces the goods - Duff is one of the best rite backs that we have had for some time, thought Munro's positional sense was Weirish today, Rosscoe struggles at times but he has found his niche, Shinnie is raw but developing. Johnny Hayes goal was immense but he played too deep in the first half and went Missing In Action for long spells in the second, Cox was my MOM abut Duncan tried to be too cocky, I am not clear what Foran's role was, Eric had a bad day at the office and Rooney ran his heart out.

Bring on the Gorgie Road Party.

• Agree 1

A great match, we bossed the first half and took the game to Rangers, Hayes strike was one of the best goals we will see in a while. Odi's snapshot just before half time couldve been better.

We defended well against Rangers in the 2nd half, Miller's goal was a great strike as well but he should have been closed down earlier, Naismith and Miller also spurned great chances to take the lead. Pen was soft imo and radio confirmed it was a dive from Beattie, who was rubbish when he came on anyway but Esson did well.

Overall we played very well, looked dangerous going forward and fairly tight defensively. My only complaint is Duncan and Cox were rather woeful with posession at times today, gave the ball away too easily on too many occasions.

Edited by ajsict92

OK, let's get the only negative of the game out of the way first....Odhiambo is lazy, pure and simple. He chased nothing, shirked 50/50's and never stuck a decent challenge on anyone the whole game....that's not lacking fitness or match sharpness...it's just not trying. When you put a player like that in amongst a team giving their all then they stick out like a sore thumb.

On to the match and I can't add much to what's already been said, other than the fact that Rangers travel home home happy tonight having managed to take a point from the Mighty Caley Jags!!!

Took us a while to get Hayes into the game, but that was in part down to the fact that every time he got the ball he had 2 or 3 men on him and he just had no space to get going. I don't have too much of an issue with that because when you have one guy who is such a threat that it takes an extra man out of the opposition to look after him, then it opens up spaces and opportunities elsewhere and although we didn't capitalise on it fully, we were trying to exploit the situation by getting Rooney in behind their defence and attempting to feed him the ball in space. Seeing what Hayes could do when he did get a chance to run at Rangers, it's not surprising they were marking him out of the game. As soon as he crossed the half way line I had a good feeling about it and I was praying he took his chance instead of running himself into trouble...and he did.

Rangers managed to do nothing down the middle against us in the first half and that was, in large, down to Cox and Duncan. However, frustration soon set it that Odhiambo was doing nothing in front of them and in the second half one or other was trying to fill Odhiambo's role which left us exposed in the middle. As soon as we subbed Odhiambo, normal service was resumed and we forced Rangers to play everything out wide....which suits us as high balls in were being mopped up easily by Tokely and Munro.

Thought Shinnie had a great game as well. He had Whittaker to deal with most of the game and he constantly out jumped him and had no problem standing up to the bigger player...he was not intimidated in the slightest and played with the composure and maturity of a player who's been playing top level football for years.

I was a little disappointed to have gone in at the break only one goal up but, given how the second half panned out, was happy enough to have finished the game on level pegging. I think 1-1 was probably a fair and honest result.

Referee didn't have a great game and was giving soft/bad decisions all over the park...both ways. The penalty decision was a bad one. I initially thought it was a dive and/or very little contact, but having seen the replay a few times it looks like Beattie just lost his footing and slid...then made the most of it. No contact was made until we tripped over him already sprawled on the ground.

Miller wasn't a happy bunny, and his telling fans to "f**k off" when they were asking for autographs after the game showed him up for the moron he really is.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Good Times. Hayes has to get goal of the month by far, I thought it was heading past. Got a tad annoyed at some of the refereeing decisions and the diving Rangers did. Not too sure about that penalty either but nae to botha due to Essons save! Whens he getting his call up for Scotland?

I was also unhappy about Sky Sports MOTM, Alan McGregor, but thinking about it I points out how good we were.

Edited by MissICT

Agree with much said . Thought The Goal was Goal of the season so far anyway, We seemed to sit far too deep in the 2nd half. Thought Duff was immense Odi looked way off the pace today. Nick Ross better be fit for the Hearts game. Sitting before kick off I'd have taken a point today ictscarf.gif

Despite the best effort of the ref to give Rangers the game I'm pleased with the draw.

We were by far the best side in the the first half but were under the cosh for the majority of the second.

Cracking goal from Hayes which I'm looking forward to seeing again and I also would like to see the penalty decision as it looked like a dive to me.

Disappointed Butcher took so long to take Eric off as he was dire today

Agree, n the steward had the north stand united.

Nick Ross was badly missed, but even then - we were so much on top in the first half, we could have had it wrapped up by half-time.

Johnny Hayes could have been MoM just for his goal of the season, but Stuart Duff was immense today - never put a foot wrong.

It's unbelievable that he couldn't get a game for Aberdeen - given their present full back situation.

• Agree 1