Memories of Olde Snekke.

Charles Bannerman

I realised that it was late evening on December 22nd and there was still no sign of this Festive regular on here which gives Sneckie folk all over the world a seasonal opportunity to get moist eyed about the place in their younger days.... so here we are.

Traditionally the mods have been tolerant and left what should really be a "Memories" thread on the main site at this time. And unless they are in "bah humbug" mode, I would hope that this Christmas tradition can continue.

So to set the ball rolling....

Santa in Benzie and Miller's/ Arnotts.

Nights out at Dillingers.

"Scratchy" nights out in the La Scala.

Dancing in the Caley Ballroom.

Haircut in Diggar's then an ice cream from Salvadori's.

Playhouse Cafe Disneyworld at Christmas (you have to be at least 40-something for this one.)

Granville, Toich and Willie Bell.

Ok then folks.... over to you......

Here we feckin go again:

Friday night fiting at the Strath, the Two red shoes in Hellgin and ahat wa the place in Nairn.

Discos at the Keppoch.

Tom Jones from Hellgin.

The Royal Ordnance Pool competition.

The lanes at the Academy.

The raining Stairs youth club.

Pomagne

The Hay Loft, Lochgorm, Albert and Plough junior pub crawl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Other Record Shop

Scot II

Trips across the ferry

Whippet racing at the Clach Park

The fact that if everybody who said they were in the Playhouse the night it burned down, then there must have been at least 6000 there.

The shock and horror in a wee town over Renee MacRae, Susan Redmond and Lesley Lobban.

The smell of the distilleries in Inverness. If I pass a distillery today the aroma still takes me back.

Dalneigh United FC

Hoare Frost on everything

The Famous Fourth BB

Going up to the Clootie Well

Having a drink at the General's Well

The Big Bands at the Caley

Checking the results on a Friday night in the Football Times

Sitting in the "stand" at Kingsmills on the 1st of January

Stamping on the Greig Street bridge to make it sway (and the Infirmary Bridge)

Hogmanay

The Tarry Isle any time

Here are a few more -

Putting (and icecream) at Bellfield park

The Ness Cafe

The cafe in the Islands

McPherson's sports shop in Ingles Street

the sweet shop in Hill street near the Crown school

Dan's shop in Old Edinburgh Road (near Hilton)

Hetty's shop at the top of Castle Street

Frankie Jews,. I used to get ma single cigs there at lunch time from school.

He would only serve you them when the shop was empty though,. would deny all knowledge if there was an adult customer in..

He was no jew though, he was an elder in the Methodist church come Sunday, selling single cigarettes to schoolkids through the week..

Edited by CaleyHE

He would only serve you them when the shop was empty though,. would deny all knowledge if there was an adult customer in..

He was no jew though,

Are you sure about that? Threepence for a cigarette..... and an extra ha'penny for a match!

By the way, I think Caley Mad in Berks may be of a vintage before the "sweet shop" he refers to belonged to Frankie Jew and was run by an old guy called Tom Galloway. I think Frank took over in about 1965. (Sorry if you're younger than I thought CMIB!)

For the benefit of the long term disapora, these premises have for many years now been a gents' barber.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

I remember

The Hooter going off every day at 1-30 at AI Welders. Could hear it almost all over the town in them days.

The Old Rose street, now All gone pretty much

Orange Council Vehicles

Highland Omnibus

The Gift Shop on its own wee island,Between the Ice Rink and what used to be the Bught Chippy (now the Florians Theatre extension)

The distilliries down Telford Street way.

Edited by SMEE

Township discrimination? It's all about Sneck.

Telford Street Rock Festival

7/18/1970

Inverness

Caledonian Football Park

Scottish Blues & Progressive

Music Festival

Taste were headlining, that's Rory Gallagher to those that missed him.

Inverness Thistle v Falkirk much postponed Cup Match.............eventual score 0-4

Inverness Thistle 3-0 Kilmarnock Scottish Cup game.

Caley 0-5 Clach something like the NoS Cup semi final replay :twothumbsup:

The sharp bend at the bottom of Drimossie Brae with the big tree de-barked every weekend.

aye memories memories

Edited by tm4tj

Nights out at Dillingers.

Remember them well .... Jimmy Terris's 'jellybeans' in the main bar, and going through to the 'civilised' lounge part where MTV was shown ... with no satellite TV in those days, this was amazing :lol:

The Hay Loft, Lochgorm, Albert and Plough junior pub crawl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats not an old memory ... you do it every week, the pubs have just changed :lol:

My hazy memory seems to remember on one of my trips home, or perhaps it was just before i moved over here, some drunken night I toured a few pubs with you after the football and ended up ****faced in the Tarry Isle while you still appeared sober !!!

Talking of the Hayloft, remembering when it was the 'gateway' and you could book a disco for free if you got so many people to turn up. The sour-faced manageress always made sure you were 4 or 5 under the required number :lol:

The Other Record Shop

Scot II

Trips across the ferry

The smell of the distilleries in Inverness.

Remember them all. You always thought you were cool if you bought your records from the ORS instead of Boots or Menzies :lol: and Scott II was a real boat, not like those Jacobite modern thingys .... or so we thought at the time. And when talking of distilleries, who can forget Frozen Foods, the original supermarket, right beside one of them.

Having a drink at the General's Well

Stamping on the Greig Street bridge to make it sway (and the Infirmary Bridge)

Oh Yes

Yup.

Of course thats not to be outdone by everyone playing Tennis at Bellfield when Wimbledon was on and then spending half your time retrieving tennis balls that went over the fence. Or heading to Torvean to play 2 or 3 rounds of 'speed-golf' when the Open was on.

Keeping a sporting or exercise theme .... heading to the old baths after school and using your little paper card with the boxes on it to get free entry. Why did it always seem to be raining when you went there ? but the chicken soup was great.

The Boys Club in Planefield Road with Jimmy Bruce -(Queens Own Cameron Highlanders War Memorial Boys Club) to be precise and the Saturday night 'hops'.

This reminds me of the kids summer trips ..... either the ones from Planefield or from the Legion ... they always seemed to end up in Drumnadrochit for some reason where you played on the sports field, were given sweets and taken home later in the day.

Staying with summer holidays and the likes .... summer TV

Why Dont You ?

Champion the wonder Horse

Flash Gordon (in B/W)

Badly dubbed Robinson Crusoe

Don't go as far back as some of ya's but some of my first memories after moving to Sneck were Doctor Feelgood at the Caley hotel,Friday nights blootered up the Brahan Seer,the wee bar at the Muirton hotel, a wee serving hatch through the back room of whats now the Cheiftan Hotel, cannae mind what it was called?? the 3-1 cup game Jags v Killie and the their supporters wanting to fight us at half time after drinking with us for 2 hours pre match,Going to Nairn for Dundee's cup game in weather similar to this week, cant remember getting home! walking hame from town and taking the wife into the Loch Eil to use the ladies facilities :laugh: Going into Dillingers for the first time and thinking it had been petrol bombed and just about sticking to the carpet, classy joint! being bemused at pubs closing at 11.00 on a Saturday night!!

Here are a few more -

That reminds me.. 'bent' Murd used to serve ice cream out of the wee shop at bellfield, never seen a bloke sweat as much as him, by mid afternoon the sweat patches almost met at the buttons of his ex.white shirt, and the pong....:frown:

the 3-1 cup game Jags v Killie

3-0. February 1985 I think. 0-6 at Celtic Park in the next round. Les Fridge in goals (I think) and Jimmy Calder substitute striker.

Yer right Charles, 3-0 it was,I thought that, but Mannies post above put doubt in my fast fading memory and i thought a stalwart like himself wouldn't get his facts wrong :doh:

He was no jew though,

Are you sure about that? Threepence for a cigarette..... and an extra ha'penny for a match!

By the way, I think Caley Mad in Berks may be of a vintage before the "sweet shop" he refers to belonged to Frankie Jew and was run by an old guy called Tom Galloway. I think Frank took over in about 1965. (Sorry if you're younger than I thought CMIB!)

For the benefit of the long term disapora, these premises have for many years now been a gents' barber.

That's the one. I am talking about 81ish to 87 so a bit after you guys.

Another outstanding memory of the shop was his 'open all hours' window display of a perfect triangle of large size Heinz soup tins, which if you looked close enough from inside, you would see, he had pierced every tin to empty the contents before making this artistic window show..

Another one -

Calfs(sic) van. Known all over the town, and where you could get 10fags as an 8yr old with a badly written note..:)

The old market on a Sunday at falcon square..

Edited by CaleyHE

BB camps at Carrbridge,

Street league

Sandy Braes on a piece of corrugated iron

Stock car racing at the dump.

Pipe bands at half time.

Lemonade delivery trucks

Kerby

La Scala on a Saturday morning.

Getting the cold water hosed under your cubicle at the baths as you were trying to get changed.

shortcuts

ahh! the carlton on a saturday night

spending all the money from my saturday job in the courtyard (age was no restriction in that place)

the barrel vault

sunday afternoon in the tower hotel

hold on... i see a pattern emerging here.:twothumbsup:

Edited by robbylad