Sanchez

alternative maryhill

Lots of unhappiness on the boards after yesterday's result, and the main complaint appears to be that we had very little creativity going forward. I was struck by this comment from ajsict92, a poster who always speaks a lot of sense IMO:

I think we are in need of a midfielder that can shift the ball about.

I wonder what people's opinions are on whether Sanchez could perform this role? He took a lot of criticism last season for missing easy chances, but I was always struck by his ability to put his foot on the ball and make passes that our other players couldn't seem to see. Eric at times has looked dangerous breaking from midfield, but seems to be more effective when running on to loose balls, whereas Sanchez, to me at least, looks more composed doing something with the ball from a more or less stationary position. He made a big difference to the game when he came on at Easter Road this season yet since then has barely featured, even from the bench. Should he get his chance from the start against Killie?

• Agree 3

He was surely worth the last fifteen on Sunday when we were still in with a chance of taking all three points. It appears that the tactics were to hold what we had, but we got caught out.

Maybe Terry is Terryfied to make chnages that may not work and the team will start to lose and slide down the table.

But Sanchez is a ball player is he not with good distribution powers? Seems like a good player to give the ball to in midfield in a stressful situation to steady the team, if that is so.

An SFL standard player IMHO - and believe it or not I think that Eric shades him in the pecking order - like Eric he does not like getting in the mix - he may have a nice touch but he has no pace and is an out and out midfielder - we dont need him in there with Cox and Duncan.

I actually thought that - pre season- that Bloomingshite looked really good when playing in the hole in front of the main striker - that is summat that I would like to see at home.

Flattered by the comment Alternative Maryhill. :blush:

Atm i would probably be more inclined to give Sanchez or Blumenshtein a run out instead of Odi jusy to keep folks on their toes. Complacency had creeped in on Sunday and that is something that needs to be quickly stamped out in order to keep the good run going.

Shane did play well but he is not a wide player. He's a striker, end off.

Definitely want to see Snachez and Blumingshtein get a shot. But i can understand where Terry is come from, you dont want to fix whats not broken. If he changed the team drastically, and lose, then he will get pelters. Hayes had to be replaced, so Sutherland was given a shot. That didnt work as hes not a wide player, although performed well just where he should have.

The team would have to have a few changed instead of just one to bring in Sanchez and/or Bloomy. But i think once injuries mount up, it will have to happen sometime.

Perhaps Sanchez was allowed to travel back to Spain for xmas/just before xmas? Which meant he hadn't had the same level of training and preparation as the other lads...? Could be a factor behind not getting a nod.

Either way, I reckon he'll get a start v. Elgin; along with Gil and maybe Sutherland leading the line. A subs appearance before then is overdue though.

We are indeed s**** at home, but its the exact same team that gets the results away from home? So in that context, if it aint broke dont fix it. The Hayes replacement was a must, but changing alot of things around is then a different team altogether. Therefore if it goes wrong, alot of people would blame Terry for that aswell.

What "goal-scoring" ability? He hasn't scored or looked like scoring for ages. And anyway, it could be argued that if Sanchez (or someone of that ilk) played instead, ICT as a team would score more goals and play better as a team, even with the lack of the inclusion of Odhiambo. Sometimes the best players are the ones who create the goals, not just the ones that score them.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2