Only an Excuse

Scotty

I honestly enjoyed it, the digs a chick, the OF the Dons the refs it was good current banter imho.

Current banter? You must surely be 20 years old at most?

If you can remember the early stuff where it was almost pioneer-like then you would realise it has plumbed uncontrollable depths? I put this on and as I have already said turned it over half way through. It is appealling to those that are wet behind the ears about Scottish fitba' and young children who know nothing about the game!

Edited by Coggiebob

I like you bawbag, I take football as a game so do see the funny side in most things... aye that's right everyone I am at best 20.

Edited by Georgeios

I like you bawbag, I take football as a game so do see the funny side in most things... aye that's right everyone I am at best 20.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure who you are referring to as 'bawbag'. Is it me?

Remember the rules of the forum now?

If you can remember the early stuff where it was almost pioneer-like then you would realise it has plumbed uncontrollable depths?

More than that, I've still got the audio tape from the original idea which was aired on 'Naked Radio' IIRC. But very few people here will recall the show it was actually ripping the pish out of?

I think the game has become too clinical and serious and there are no characters within. Hence no new material for the writers.

I tuned in early and caught part of the Gerard Kelly tribute that was on before it .... the classic sketch from Scotch and Wry where scout Gregor Fisher tries to get Kelly to sign for Rangers (with manager Rikki Fulton) is still funnier at the thousandth time of watching than anything that has been in OAE for the last few years ..... Fulton's face when Kelly said he couldnt repeat his seven goal haul in the second half "because I had to go to mass" is just pure comedy. no words needed, no crass punchlines, just 'the look'.

I disagree that we have no characters in the game now .... they probably managed to get most of the current characters or events of the past year into the program somehow ... McGhee, Butcher, Lennon, Reid, Dallas, County in the Cup, Henry McLeish, George Peat, Craig Levein etc etc etc .... it was just the writing that was dire and insipid.

There are characters in there that should have been ditched from the programme years ago ... McAvennie was mentioned before, but I would also say Alex 'vewwy vewwy pwoud' Ferguson is a character in OAE that is also past his sell-by date as is the "Jakey" Celtic/Rangers fan that has to be in there somewhere.

Not sure where they take it from here as it was disappointing .... but yes, next hogmanay, I will likely look for another stream and watch it anyway hoping for the tiniest bit of enjoyment from a comedy programme about Scottish football .....

If you can remember the early stuff where it was almost pioneer-like then you would realise it has plumbed uncontrollable depths?

More than that, I've still got the audio tape from the original idea which was aired on 'Naked Radio' IIRC. But very few people here will recall the show it was actually ripping the pish out of?

I remember Naked Video well with the original Rab C. But can't remember OAE on it. I do remember the radio version before it was turned into a tv show though.

Quite enjoyed the cheeky slagging of Ross County mainly because it involved Catriona Shearer :blush:

I'd watch anything with Catriona Shearer in it...... even the news. :tongueincheek:

Duncan Shearer looks more feminine than her! She's a dug!

• Agree 1

I remember Naked Video well with the original Rab C. But can't remember OAE on it. I do remember the radio version before it was turned into a tv show though.

Naked Radio produced a special called 'Only an Excuse' by Jonathan Watson and Tony Roper IIRC. It took the pish out of a TV programme with William McIlvanney called 'Only a Game' from 1986 which took itself a bit too seriously.

Quite enjoyed the cheeky slagging of Ross County mainly because it involved Catriona Shearer :blush:

I'd watch anything with Catriona Shearer in it...... even the news. :tongueincheek:

If I could spell "misogynist" properley I would call you one.

Your not a farmer by any chance?

No, I've never been a farmer, nor have I ever lived near a farm.:lol: I've been a city lad all my life.

It's not your spelling of 'misogynist' that I will query but your spelling of the word 'properly'!

What makes you think that I'm misogynistic? Because I find Catriona Shearer ugly?:lol:

Edited by Coggiebob

Not just a misogynist, he hates everyone:

How to Make Friends and Influence People (A guide to Coggiebob's fortnight as a poster on the St Johnstone forum)

Not just a misogynist, he hates everyone:

How to Make Friends and Influence People (A guide to Coggiebob's fortnight as a poster on the St Johnstone forum)

Not just a fortnight though!:tongue: Poirot would be proud of you!

I've been a city lad all my life.

I thought you were from Perth? Still desperately trying for city status after 800 years.....

Only from that bitch the Queen. We have been a city ever since we were the capital of Scotland.

I've been a city lad all my life.

I thought you were from Perth? Still desperately trying for city status after 800 years.....

Only from that bitch the Queen. We have been a city ever since we were the capital of Scotland.

Perth has never been capital of Scotland. In fact this town was never called Perth until the nineteenth century. Perth was the name of the area that eventually became Perthshire. The main town was St Johnstoun. The town became known as the 'effective' capital of Scotland due to the frequent visits of the Royals to Scone palace.

The word Perth is a pictish word for wood which explains the wooden headedness of its people.