Our worst ever players in the SPL?

Just noticed Paul McMullan was in Berwick's squad for their game against Celtic - didn't he have a few months on our books when we were promoted in 2004? I can't actually find any record of him having played a single minute for us in a competitive game.

It started me thinking about other "not so good" signings during our SPL years - players who either came with fanfare and never made an impact, or some who just never got a chance.

Ones that sprang to mind:

Zibi Malkowski

Richie Byrne

Lionel Djebi-Zadi

Thierry Gathuessi

Tom Parratt

Steven Watt

Liam Fox

Alan Morgan (maybe I'm a bit harsh there)

Darran Thomson

Bajram Fatai

Ben Jackson

Dean McDonald

Gary McSwegan

Bryan Prunty

And perhaps McAllister and Sutherland if we include young players who we had high hopes for but who never reached their potential with us?

Any others spring to mind?

For me, the thought of a veteran McSwegan leading the line for us under 10CC makes me cringe.

Some of course might suggest Niculae - considering he probably caused us more trouble than he was worth.

Just noticed Paul McMullan was in Berwick's squad for their game against Celtic - didn't he have a few months on our books when we were promoted in 2004? I can't actually find any record of him having played a single minute for us in a competitive game.

It started me thinking about other "not so good" signings during our SPL years - players who either came with fanfare and never made an impact, or some who just never got a chance.

Zibi Malkowski

Richie Byrne

Lionel Djebi-Zadi

Thierry Gathuessi

Tom Parratt

Steven Watt

Liam Fox

Darran Thomson

Bajram Fatai

Ben Jackson

Dean McDonald

Gary McSwegan

Bryan Prunty

And perhaps McAllister and Sutherland if we include young players who we had high hopes for but who never reached their potential with us?

For me, the thought of a veteran McSwegan leading the line for us under 10CC makes me cringe.

Some of course might suggest Niculae - considering he probably caused us more trouble than he was worth.

As i remember foxy was quite a good player and was a shame he was let go and he was with club before spl i believe.

As for alan morgan he was not the best and certainly a poor signing.

Watt, gatuhessi and byrne nevr got a break in team to be seen as bad or not.

McSwegan and zibi were awful signings.

If i was to add to the list although a club legend the re-signing of golly was poor i would add blumenstien to this list also as simply doesn't cut it in spl.

[As i remember foxy was quite a good player and was a shame he was let go and he was with club before spl i believe.

Seems like years since he was with us, but I'm pretty sure he didn't sign until the summer just before our first SPL season - seem to remember him coming in at the same time as Ian Black. I thought he was decent too, if a little lightweight. I remember him coming off the bench to score an equaliser in a 2-2 draw against Killie at Rugby Park, and I've got a feeling he might have done the same thing against the same team in Inverness.

Parratt's a player that intrigues me: I don't recall ever seeing him play for us, yet he went to Hamilton and was a regular in the team that got promoted, then I believe got injured right at the start of their first SPL season and never made it back into their team. Don't know what happened to him, but he can't have been too bad a player.

Edited by alternative maryhill

Phil McGuire i think can get added to that list as well, possibly the worst centre half we have ever had.

Morgan was a decent player when he played, he just struggled to stay fit unfortunately.

• Agree 1

[As i remember foxy was quite a good player and was a shame he was let go and he was with club before spl i believe.

Seems like years since he was with us, but I'm pretty sure he didn't sign until the summer just before our first SPL season - seem to remember him coming in at the same time as Ian Black. I thought he was decent too, if a little lightweight. I remember him coming off the bench to score an equaliser in a 2-2 draw against Killie at Rugby Park, and I've got a feeling he might have done the same thing against the same team in Inverness.

Parratt's a player that intrigues me: I don't recall ever seeing him play for us, yet he went to Hamilton and was a regular in the team that got promoted, then I believe got injured right at the start of their first SPL season and never made it back into their team. Don't know what happened to him, but he can't have been too bad a player.

Fetai came to us on loan from Rangers in January 05. Made 9 starts and never scored.

Fetai came to us on loan from Rangers in January 05. Made 9 starts and never scored.

My post was about Liam Fox rather than Fetai, Alex.

Michael Fraser, the worst goalkeeper in the history of the SPL.

That's outrageous slander. Zibi, clangers and Letizi will always be mentioned before Ikey in a, who gets the 'Andy McNeil award' for most calamitous SPL keeper discussion.

• Disagree 1

<br>Michael Fraser, the worst goalkeeper in the history of the SPL.<br>

Outrageous statement. Shouldn't have left for Motherwell to play second fiddle to ruddy however was a good goalie.

Stupid comment can that single comment be put to 'general nonsense' section

Edited by Sean127
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Zibi Malkowski

Richie Byrne

Lionel Djebi-Zadi

Thierry Gathuessi

Tom Parratt

Steven Watt

Liam Fox

Darran Thomson

Bajram Fatai

Ben Jackson

Dean McDonald

Gary McSwegan

Bryan Prunty

As i remember foxy was quite a good player and was a shame he was let go and he was with club before spl i believe.

As for alan morgan he was not the best and certainly a poor signing.

Watt, gatuhessi and byrne nevr got a break in team to be seen as bad or not.

McSwegan and zibi were awful signings.

If i was to add to the list although a club legend the re-signing of golly was poor i would add blumenstien to this list also as simply doesn't cut it in spl.

Tbh I thought the re-signing of Golly was a real turning point in our season last year. Until he came back we were stuck with Zadi at Left Back. I also think his performance up against Leigh Griffiths at Dens (2-2) was superb.

• Agree 2

Gil Blumenshtain has to be on the list

I think it's a little harsh and early to include Gil right now. He's had to come over and settle in and his injury will not have helped him. If he can stay fit and get into the team in the run in then his ability can be judged. If he doesn't stay fit then it will probably be considered a wasted signing but at least give him a chance to prove his worth. Anything you'll have seen will just be him feeling his way back as he's been out a bit so will probably be rusty. Besides he's this years exotic foreigner. We dont get too many so we better make the most of it!.:lol:

Judge him at the end of the season though.

• Agree 2

Zibi Malkowski

Richie Byrne

Lionel Djebi-Zadi

Thierry Gathuessi

Tom Parratt

Steven Watt

Liam Fox

Darran Thomson

Bajram Fatai

Ben Jackson

Dean McDonald

Gary McSwegan

Bryan Prunty

only one i'd remove from that list would be Fox, always thought he was a decent enough player. Not outstanding but decent

Shane Sutherland? thats a bit harsh

Gil Blumenshtain has to be on the list

very very harsh to suggest Blumenshtein given that he hasnt even played a full 90 minutes for the club