Our worst ever players in the SPL?

Golly, eh no way he saved us at LB in the first.

Agree with that, it it weren't for Golly shoring up the defense last season we wouldn't have got promoted.

got to disagree with this... yes in the first division Golly was good but if you look again at the title of this thread its about the SPL, and i dont think i will ever foget seeing golly chuck the captains armband...and just how many appearances has he made in the SPL as the thread is about SPL nothing else.

Golly, eh no way he saved us at LB in the first.

Agree with that, it it weren't for Golly shoring up the defense last season we wouldn't have got promoted.

got to disagree with this... yes in the first division Golly was good but if you look again at the title of this thread its about the SPL, and i dont think i will ever foget seeing golly chuck the captains armband...and just how many appearances has he made in the SPL as the thread is about SPL nothing else.

I disagree. Golly was fantastic in his first season in the SPL. Unfortunately he sustained that bad hamstring injury the year after and he just wasnt the same when he returned, and he was getting older, simple. A serious injury was what brought Juanjo's time here to the end.. Richard Hastings did a good job after he established himself in the team but when Golly was at his best, even in the SPL he was great.

Scored a good goal in our 1st SPL season at Pittodrie vs Dunfermline. Thats all I can remember tbh!

Not just a good goal.

He was our Captain and scored our first ever SPL goal.

To mention his name in a thread about "worst" players in the SPL is ridiculous, disrespectful and ignorant.

• Agree 5

Scored a good goal in our 1st SPL season at Pittodrie vs Dunfermline. Thats all I can remember tbh!

Not just a good goal.

He was our Captain and scored our first ever SPL goal.

To mention his name in a thread about "worst" players in the SPL is ridiculous, disrespectful and ignorant.

IGNORANT????

how does that become ignorant. if he was such a good player for us he would have been in the team, he would have survived after the injury and would have bounced back. i am not saying he was one of the worst but there have been plenty far better than him. and if you look back to my original comment you will see i was pointing out that this thread is about the spl not the first division

• Disagree 6

Gil Blumenshtain has to be on the list

Don't be ridiculous, do you not know he's going to get into the Israeli National team and lead them to the World Cup?

Time will tell, but bigging yourself up before your feet are even on the same land you'll be playing in can be a bit of a faux pas. Now is the time for him to walk the walk or just walk

for the record :-

First Season, 03-04 in the SPL, yes an ever present (34 Games)

second season,04-05 (37 Games)

third season 05-06 (14 games)

fourth season.06-07 (1 Games)

fifth season 07-08 not at ict

sixth season 08-09 not at ict

seventh season 10-11 this season

yes he started off great but i am not sasying he is one of our worst players. i personally haven't forgotten the incident irefered to in my original post when he threw away the captains armband (I believe against St Mirren) and for that i wont ever be as big a fan

Edited by Tug
  • Disagree 1

for the record :-

First Season, 03-04 in the SPL, yes an ever present (34 Games)

second season,04-05 played less than half the games(37 Games)

third season 05-06 (14 games)

fourth season.06-07 (1 Games)

fifth season 07-08 not at ict

sixth season 08-09 not at ict

seventh season 10-11 this season

yes he started off great but i am not sasying he is one of our worst players. i personally haven't forgotten the incident irefered to in my original post when he threw away the captains armband (I believe against St Mirren) and for that i wont ever be as big a fan

One little problem with your stats Tug.............Our first SPL season was04/05

• Agree 2

i thought that Alex but the club site has it as 03-04

either way i have justified my point and backed up what i said with the evidence that is provided by the club so im happy to leave it at that... let the red dots commence :tongueincheek:

edit for meing being a numpty

yeah im just going to stop now.

you were right alex

Edited by Tug
  • Agree 1

Steve Watt was a bit of a funny one. Apparently he was highly rated by Mourinho at Chelsea but didn't seem to get a look in under Brewster and only played once against Arbroath. Funnily enough I remember him that day and thought he looked fairly solid indeed.

As mentioned, Dean McDonald was rubbish. Too fat, too slow, all he did was plod around and wave at us!

Maybe we shouldn't count this guy as he never officially played in the SPL, but I for one remember an away friendly trip to Dingwall a couple of years back and seeing none other than the mighty Giany Joinville in ICT colours. God, he was horrible! If you thought Lionel vs County last season was bad, then this was worse!

And here's another, perhaps more controversial person to add to the list. I don't care what anyone says, and just forget his first pre-SPL spell here, but Dennis Wyness was awful in his second spell. I remember times when CC played a forward line of him and McAllister and it was literally like playing with no strikers at all. It's a shame really, by Wyness MK2 has to be up there for me.

Edited by Renegade

Steve Watt was a bit of a funny one. Apparently he was highly rated by Mourinho at Chelsea but didn't seem to get a look in under Brewster and only played once against Arbroath. Funnily enough I remember him that day and thought he looked fairly solid indeed.

As mentioned, Dean McDonald was rubbish. Too fat, too slow, all he did was plod around and wave at us!

Maybe we shouldn't count this guy as he never officially played in the SPL, but I for one remember an away friendly trip to Dingwall a couple of years back and seeing none other than the mighty Giany Joinville in ICT colours. God, he was horrible! If you thought Lionel vs County last season was bad, then this was worse!

And here's another, perhaps more controversial person to add to the list. I don't care what anyone says, and just forget his first pre-SPL spell here, but Dennis Wyness was awful in his second spell. I remember times when CC played a forward line of him and McAllister and it was literally like playing with no strikers at all. It's a shame really, by Wyness MK2 has to be up there for me.

Steven Watt was on loan from Swansea and if memory serves right he injured his shoulder and eventually went back to Swansea for treatment. I'm sure this was about the same time Wyness done his shoulder in. As did Brewster. There seemed to be a spate of such injuries.

Dean MacDonald was atrocious.

Denzil never really got back to form after his injury. Sometimes think he played with a fear of further injury and just wasn't as committed.

Steven Watt was Charlie Christie's signing and if i recall, despite him being on board McGuire and Proctor were brought in as well after Brewster took over and Watt just diminished out of the squad, despite some good performances in the reserves he never got back in the team, even when we lost McGuire and Munro to injury towards the end of the season.

MacDonald was too small and too slow for the Scottish game. Sadly i agree with Renegade about Wyness, but had he stayed injury free it could have been different.

Joinville was a legend though, was gutted we never signed him :rotflmao:

There was a spell at New Year when Denzil and Dargo were really gelling. We stuffed Hibs, St Mirren and Stirling. Then they both got injured. Denzil never raised a peep after that. Except one day he helped the Midden tear us to bits at Love St. Wonderful, wonderful footballer under Pele though.

Mentioning Stuart Golabek and Dennis Wyness in here is just completely ludicrous. Yes they did play with us in 2nd spells having come back to the club and were perhaps past their peak, but at one point in their careers these 2 players have been up there with the best we've had in the SPL for their positions. Totally uncalled for.

Garry Wood is my tuppence worth. Consistently frustrated many with his inability to finish chances. So it would be him along with the obvious choices of Barrowman and McGuire.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Here's a few more to throw in, Ally Ridgers. Two spells with ICT, racking up a grand total of zero appearances. Brought back to ICT by CC from Clach to be back-up for Fraser just after Brown left. Apparently was a pretty poor keeper.

Stuart Soane - On the bench a couple of times, has disappeared into the mists of time since.

Ally MacDonald - On the bench a couple of times during season 07/08. Disappeared like Soane since.

Guy Kerr - Played about five minutes against Gretna, at some small club in the SFL now.

And here's maybe a bit of a controversial one, but Richard Hastings went IMO from being a very good left back in season 06/07 to being a fairly poor one from 07/08 onwards. Butcher didn't seem to take to him either.

This is my 3rd negative post about Shane Sutherland but i can't help feeling he doesn't have what it takes at this level. He just hasn't progressed in the same way shinnie and ross has and i can see him becoming the next Rory.

He hasn't merited being one of our worst SPL players yet but i definitely don't think he is SPL quality.

Did Darran Thomson ever play for us in the SPL? IMO he is the worst player to play for ICT, Not only was he garbage but he used to play all the time!

Did Darran Thomson ever play for us in the SPL? IMO he is the worst player to play for ICT, Not only was he garbage but he used to play all the time!

Yes, he got some games in our first SPL season, and surely takes the prize of worst SPL player. Whenever he came on as sub we used to say it was worse than going down to 10 men. Yet Robbo liked something about him and gave him a lot of chances. When Robbo was answering questions on this site I politely asked him what he saw in Darran that nobody else could, and he kinda admitted he got that one wrong.

We released him later that season and he failed to hold down a place at Elgin, Albion, Alloa, or Cowdenbeath before dropping down to the juniors for a few seasons with Bonnyrigg. Interestingly Paul Sheerin brought him to Arbroath this season, where he has made 2 appearances.

Edit to add : I see he is down as being a defender now, which is quite surprising - he was a lightweight left midfielder for us, and I don't recall him ever making a tackle or winning a header.

Edited by Yngwie

Yes, he got some games in our first SPL season, and surely takes the prize of worst SPL player. Whenever he came on as sub we used to say it was worse than going down to 10 men. Yet Robbo liked something about him and gave him a lot of chances. When Robbo was answering questions on this site I politely asked him what he saw in Darran that nobody else could, and he kinda admitted he got that one wrong.

We released him later that season and he failed to hold down a place at Elgin, Albion, Alloa, or Cowdenbeath before dropping down to the juniors for a few seasons with Bonnyrigg. Interestingly Paul Sheerin brought him to Arbroath this season, where he has made 2 appearances.

Edit to add : I see he is down as being a defender now, which is quite surprising - he was a lightweight left midfielder for us, and I don't recall him ever making a tackle or winning a header.

Interesting to see Darran playing for Arbroath, i thought he had completely vanished.

Here's a few more to throw in, Ally Ridgers. Two spells with ICT, racking up a grand total of zero appearances. Brought back to ICT by CC from Clach to be back-up for Fraser just after Brown left. Apparently was a pretty poor keeper.

Stuart Soane - On the bench a couple of times, has disappeared into the mists of time since.

Ally MacDonald - On the bench a couple of times during season 07/08. Disappeared like Soane since.

Guy Kerr - Played about five minutes against Gretna, at some small club in the SFL now.

And here's maybe a bit of a controversial one, but Richard Hastings went IMO from being a very good left back in season 06/07 to being a fairly poor one from 07/08 onwards. Butcher didn't seem to take to him either.

Dont you think its a bit unfair to list a number of u-19 players who were let go because the club was relegated and we couldn't keep an U-19 squad?

IIRC none of the aforementioned players were let go because of relegation, in fact most were let go before that. The likes of Ridgers, Soane, Kerr and MacDonald were not U-19s when the were punted, they were in fact, in the reserve squad, and in the case of Kerr were regularly on the bench.