Andy Gray, Richard Keys

Johnboy

Oh dear my female brain couldnt possible understand the offside rule could it? The assist ref seemed to do ok and surely in 2011 sex shouldnt come into it. Football must be the last place that sexism and homophobia is tolerated. Not a pc person myself but they really should have known better.Think the suspension is a bit of a waste of time as its not really gonna change their views is it really.

I don't agree SMEE.

Their opinion was that a qualified FA official would not know the basic rules of the game that they are there to enforce, and have been thoroughly examined on by the FA beforehand, because of their gender.

It's a daft and ignorant assumption to make especially by two very high profile football media figures.

Either way they are, as you correctly say, allowed their own opinions but to make derogatory remarks in their situation is not really acceptable (in my opinion).

As an aside I only know one female (in my friends and family) that actually knows the offside rule!

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Its a fooking sad and dare i say...slightly disturbing day, when individuals are not allowed to form or hold opinions of their own. F**K POLITICal CORRECTNESS!

Yeah, it is sad when thats the case, But, and it's a huge but way the decision was correct. it's Gray and Keys who obviously don't get the offside rule also regardless of gender the linesman gets one look at the situation in real time. Not countless replays from the comfort of a studio

For the record...i wasnt agreeing with what they sed, but i do agree with their rights to have their own opinions. I watched a tv documentary where there was someone making a point that the powers that be are trying to prime us to all be subservient, by subtly brainwashing us to not hold our own views, as we are far easier to conrol. I can see where their coming from!

Gray and Keys aren't just unpleasant individuals (based on the Neanderthal attitudes they displayed) but hopeless commentators, so it would be good for them to be replaced by people (female?) who have more interesting ideas about the game, and also know something about the rules of the game. Sky shows the football, but is the worst channel to listen to. Pub bloke bollix.

I don't see why they should be suspended. They were having what they believed was, and should have been, a private conversation and it should have been nobody else's business.

I would say it was a far bigger crime to record someone without them knowing, and even worse to then place that recording in the public domain where they knew it would cause offence. There's not a person alive who doesn't hold a thought, view, opinion or who has made a comment in jest which someone else may find offensive. Should people be allowed to record us at will and place those views in public without our consent?

Not justifying sexist opinions or views, but are these guys really sexist or were they just having a joke based around a "stereotype"...you know, in much the same way as we've all had a laugh at a Scotsman, Englishman & Irishman joke which played heavily on stereotype? We don't know and, given the circumstances, I think it would be dangerous to judge.

• Agree 4

Everybody seems to have missed the point, which is that they weren't expressing opinions, but merely sharing a joke.

Don't tell me that nobody else has heard that old thing about women not knowing the offside rule!

OK, it's not very funny, and it's rather sexist, but to pretend, for the sake of making a good story, that these two really believed that the assistant referee may not have known the offside rule is really a bit silly.

Although this sort of negative thinking seems to be the norm for those who choose to take offence on behalf of others - a strange modern phenomenon!

She had obviously had this ladies explanation so was able to judge correctly .....

You're in a shoe shop, second in the queue for the till. Behind the shop assistant on the till is a pair of shoes which you have seen and which you must have.

The female shopper in front of you has seen them also and is eyeing them with desire. Both of you have forgotten your purses.

It would be rude to push in front of the first woman if you had no money to pay for the shoes.

The shop assistant remains at the till waiting.

Your friend is trying on another pair of shoes at the back of the shop and sees your dilemma.

She prepares to throw her purse to you.

If she does so, you can catch the purse, then walk round the other shopper and buy the shoes!

At a pinch she could throw the purse ahead of the other shopper and "whilst it is in flight" you could nip around the other shopper, catch the purse and buy the shoes!

BUT, you must always remember that until the purse has "actually been thrown", it would be plain wrong for you to be in front of the other shopper and you would be OFFSIDE!

• Agree 2

Oh dear my female brain couldnt possible understand the offside rule could it? The assist ref seemed to do ok and surely in 2011 sex shouldnt come into it. Football must be the last place that sexism and homophobia is tolerated. Not a pc person myself but they really should have known better.Think the suspension is a bit of a waste of time as its not really gonna change their views is it really.

no :notlistening:

whos doing mnf tonight then?

im sure it wasnt intended as a serious remark just brits in general need to lighten up or shut up

• Agree 1

Just heard Morag Pirie on sportsound and she explained that to her it doesnt matter if that she is female but that she is just part of the team when refereeing and that the other refs dont care that she is female.

dunno if I agree with the private conversation bit. We all have our own opinions but at work different rules apply. eg the Hugh Dallas situation at the sfa. For instance quite a lot of us will participate in emails/texts that are not pc but would not use work email to do this. Anyway will be tomorrows chip paper.

Edited by old caley girl

A total fuss over absolutely nothing

I like the thought of women referees and lineswomen

I'd kit them out differently than the blokes though in something like this;

http://www.yandy.com...ts/prod_637.asp

dougal

That'd increase the attendances . Notice you got a red dot for your post , I bet if anyone else had posted it there would be no red dots .

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 4

I've just downloaded the new FIFA 11 commentary update:

Not much different, although when my wife went on it, Andy Gray shouted at her " put that fecking controller down and get back to the kitchen" :twothumbsup:

• Agree 2

See another reporter has now been suspended by sky. Richard keys has apologised to the lady in question and it has been accepted. Think they have all been shown to be dinosaurs and really the episode should be closed and everyone should move on. BTW Did you see that Andy Gray earns 1.7 million a year for his work at Sky - nice work if you can get it!