Australian Open

tm4tj

Getting down to the business end again and the same old question arises, can Andy Murray win a grand slam?

He is cruising so far, but the big guns are waiting. Straight set wins into the quarter finals and a match against an unseeded, but nonetheless dangerous oponent. Probably Nadal waiting for him at the semi-stage and more than likely Federer waiting for the winners in the final, with Djokovic also looking sharp. With Soderling falling to Dolgopolov, that's one big danger gone. All in all, the Aussie Open is shaping up nicely.

Can Murray do it? Big ask I think, beating one legendary player is difficult, beating both of them in the same slam is almost impossible.

Good luck Andy.

• Agree 2

Murray was awesome against Melzer who, potentially, could have been a difficult opponent.

Really hope his body can keep up with the demands he puts on it. The way he plays he has to be 100% especially against Nadal and Federer.

How pissed off must he be that he has had the misfortune to be playing in the same era as these guys? When you look back and see some of the mediocre (in comparison with these guys) that have won two or three slams it must really irk him!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grand_Slam_men's_singles_champions

Federer looking awesome at the moment, and Djokovic brushed aside a dangerous player in Berdych.

Big game for Murray against Dolgopolov who looked fairly powerful against Soderling. He will have no fear playing Murray and his pace and energy could cause an upset. If the Murray body language gives it away then the Ukrainian could find himself facing Nadal in the semi's. The number 1 seed should have enough in his locker to remove David Ferrer from the competition.

Late night or early morning if you want to catch Murray's match. Approx 03:30am, but times could be much later.

Wow, the door is ajar.

David Ferrer horse-whips Nadal 4,2&3 in the all Spanish quarter.

That's a turn up for the books. It appears as though favourite Rafa was struggling with a thigh injury from the off, two games in, and Ferrer took full advantage to put him to the sword. He has had a great run so far and now Murray is next up for Ferrer.

That's one down, one to go for the rest with Nadal out, and just Federer in the way. To be honest, any of the four left have a great chance to win this slam, but they will have to be at their best.

Would Ferrer or Federer be the tennis eqivalent of Forfar 5 East Fife 4?

It's all getting very tasty down under.

Although I'm sure that Murray would rather play Ferrer than Nadal, it will be no cakewalk. I watched both the Murray/Dologopolov and Nadal/Ferrer matches and I have to say that Murray made heavy weather of it at times, particularly in the first and third sets. Even with Nadal clearly not at his best, Ferrer looked in great form and his confidence will be sky high having beaten Nadal. Roll on the semis.

Absolutely cmib.

I have not been totally convinced by Murray at this Open, but he is grinding out some great results. Dolgopolov was a dangerous opponent, but very erratic, and that's where Murray wore him down, nothing too flambouyant, just clinical and less error strewn. I was not as enthusiastic as he or the commentators were about his win over the eccentric Austrian, but he ended up doing Melzer relatively easily and his resistance was shot well before the end.

His serve will need to improve if he is to win a slam, but it did get better as the games wore on. Let's not forget, Murray has not won a slam yet, and may never will, but he is quite often found in the last eight of these competitions, and if he keeps knocking on the door, then one day somebody will let him in.

Djokovic is leading Federer 2-0 in sets, 7-6, 7-5, so that could auger well for the other semi-finalists if he can hold his game to oust Federer. On the other hand though, Djokovic is playing some great stuff and looks to be on a roll, therefore no matter who goes through it will be an extremely difficult final all round.

Murray should be on court tomorrow morning at 08:30 GMT for his semi, sleep in required.

So that will be an all Scottish final then - Jockovitch v Murray. :biggrin:

Charles,Ehm interested to hear yer take on the Scotish Open (golf) being hosted locally. You have never hidden yer disdain for the Royal and Ancient game and it's participants but surely you must be supportive of the obvious benefits to the area,and will you be brushing up on the rules to run a wee column in the Highland News :tongueincheek:

Charles,Ehm interested to hear yer take on the Scotish Open (golf) being hosted locally.

Delighted the Scottish Open is coming to Inverness. This should be a big boost for the game and if it leads to the area producing another Murray Urquhart, Gillian Stewart or Kelsey MacDonald then that would be a bonus for them.

What I am dreading, though, is the spate of highly speculative "surveys" which will predict that the event will bring x, y and z million pounds into the local economy where x, y and z are totally different numbers. I find these highly inaccurate exercises extremely annoying, even though the event will be of significant and very welcome local economic benefit.

My main problem with golf, apart perhaps from some of the fashions they wear, is Colin Montgomerie since it goes against the grain to see a lot of money being made out of playing a sport by someone who is - in a word - fat.

Edited by Charles Bannerman