Stewarding issues

davie

Very good game, fast flowing end to end stuff. Happy with the point considering the suspensions / injuries. I thought the referee had an absolute howler though and I need to see the penalty again as it did look like a dive at the time. Saints 2nd goal was quality and Rooneys goal to make it 3-2 was well taken. Even though we didn't win. i think that is the confidence back up again and i'm sure we will win soon. Very promising.

The stewarding was awful. Petty and provocative. One of the younger lads was sworn at and then dragged by the scruff of the neck from a steward which then nearly caiused a mass brawl! The steward was removed and the police were viewing the CCTV. If it was caught, then i'm sure he will pay the price with his job. The steward with the clipboard was an absolute clown as well. There was just no need.

Thanks for this. It was my son who was ejected from the ground after being assaulted by that steward. What he actually said was that he was "sick of being treated like a f*cking animal" by said steward who then told him "don't f*cking swear at me". This man kicked him in the left shin, kinda sore when he was wearing steel toe caps. Boy was then hauled out by the neck. He spoke to the local Polis and requested that they take his details, which they refused to do. He was told "just get back on the train home".

Boy, like his mates is no innocent, no shrinking violet. I've no doubt he was as gobby as usual but this response from persons supposing to keep public order is utterly, utterly unacceptable. I was in two minds as to going to the game or not, but I'm glad I didn't. I would have got out of hand, as seems to have nearly happened with a lot of fellow fans.

On a serious note, this has to stop. If any of you who saw this are willing, could you pm me with details and indicated as to whether or not you are happy to be identified. If you are not, I will respect your confidentiality. I'll be on to St. Mirren tomorrow, and this man will be punished. I'll make sure of that. On a wider note, this seems to be getting worse across the board. As some of you know, I was chucked out of Parkhead earlier this season - didn't even get a reply to my complaint. Fans on forums across the country seem to have a weekly thread about being harrassed, bullied, intimidated and occasionally assaulted by these self appointed control freaks. Maybe time to do something collective about this.

Edited by davie
  • Agree 1

Very good game, fast flowing end to end stuff. Happy with the point considering the suspensions / injuries. I thought the referee had an absolute howler though and I need to see the penalty again as it did look like a dive at the time. Saints 2nd goal was quality and Rooneys goal to make it 3-2 was well taken. Even though we didn't win. i think that is the confidence back up again and i'm sure we will win soon. Very promising.

The stewarding was awful. Petty and provocative. One of the younger lads was sworn at and then dragged by the scruff of the neck from a steward which then nearly caiused a mass brawl! The steward was removed and the police were viewing the CCTV. If it was caught, then i'm sure he will pay the price with his job. The steward with the clipboard was an absolute clown as well. There was just no need.

Thanks for this. It was my son who was ejected from the ground after being assaulted by that steward. What he actually said was that he was "sick of being treated like a f*cking animal" by said steward who then told him "don't f*cking swear at me". This man kicked him in the left shin, kinda sore when he was wearing steel toe caps. Boy was then hauled out by the neck. He spoke to the local Polis and requested that they take his details, which they refused to do. He was told "just get back on the train home".

Boy, like his mates is no innocent, no shrinking violet. I've no doubt he was as gobby as usual but this response from persons supposing to keep public order is utterly, utterly unacceptable. I was in two minds as to going to the game or not, but I'm glad I didn't. I would have got out of hand, as seems to have nearly happened with a lot of fellow fans.

On a serious note, this has to stop. If any of you who saw this are willing, could you pm me with details and indicated as to whether or not you are happy to be identified. If you are not, I will respect your confidentiality. I'll be on to St. Mirren tomorrow, and this man will be punished. I'll make sure of that. On a wider note, this seems to be getting worse across the board. As some of you know, I was chucked out of Parkhead earlier this season - didn't even get a reply to my complaint. Fans on forums across the country seem to have a weekly thread about being harrassed, bullied, intimidated and occasionally assaulted by these self appointed control freaks. Maybe time to do something collective about this.

Davie, I just PM you on pie and Bovril as well.

This is a copy and paste job from a St Mirren fan on pie and bovril. Very interesting!

After leaving the ground we got as far as Well St when this wheezing overweight guy ran up behind us. He asked what the final score was, I told him 3 all. He said he missed then end because he was a steward and caused the fight at the end of the game. He seemed to be totally buzzing and was proud of what he had done. His story pretty much matched what has already been said but there is no doubt he was a walloper of the highest order and tbh I am ashamed that we have people like that representing our club.

I though that I would start off yet another thread - mainly becos I wanted to respond to davie and make my own statement but also co the Match thread should be about on the pitch comments only.

davie posted:

I was also on the point of eviction again yesterday and some of the comments made to me should be shared. I received a "final warning" just before half time as I was again accused of "inciting others to stand" - again I would have said that I was merely trying to support my team, encourage others to join in and create an away day atmosphere. For the first part of the second half I decided to stay seated for the most - only standing up when others started a chant and sitting down immediately afterwards or when ICT attacked or others in front of me stood up - I was further "cautioned" but on both occasions others were standing up blocking my view.

I then started of the Bridge and castle chant and immediately the supervisor with the clipboard rushed in to action. At the exit gate I asked for the reasons for my eviction and stated my actual perceived case. Both the stewards appeared to wholly appreciate what I was saying and stated that they were simply following instructions from the Match Commander and following the rules - which they both agreed were unfair. They both also stated that the evictions have increased in recent weeks as their previous figures were low !! A passing copper joined in the discussion and allowed me to return to my seat, radioing in his rationale.

To be honest - it is really beginning to mar the away day experience - and it is feckin Easter Road next !!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Thanks Jondo. This is depressing me no end. As someone who started going to games in the 70's, who remembers the football specials, the fights and the rancid atmosphere at games I appreciate the need to make footie a safer and more pleasant experience. Hell, I even think that all seating (for all its faults) is a good idea. But this is just a joke - all we have done is swop thugs in club colours for thugs in fluorescent yellow. And we pay for them out of our gate money! To give you an idea, here's something from P&B:

I was in the family stand as usual today and saw something kicking off from afar towards the end of the game. My son was with the panda club and I went to the north stand to pick him up. With all this I left the ground after most of the other fans had left.

There were a couple of middle aged female caley fans who seemed reasonable having a discussion with one of the stewards complaining about the treatment of the fan at the end of the game.

After leaving the ground we got as far as Well St when this wheezing overweight guy ran up behind us. He asked what the final score was, I told him 3 all. He said he missed then end because he was a steward and caused the fight at the end of the game. He seemed to be totally buzzing and was proud of what he had done. His story pretty much matched what has already been said but there is no doubt he was a walloper of the highest order and tbh I am ashamed that we have people like that representing our club.

Or from Black & White Army:

Sorry your boy had such an unpleasant experience at St.Mirren park. sad.gif

if you trawl through this site you will find a similar story from one of our fans at Somerset park last week , the pattern of heavy handed ,lack of common sense stewarding is getting out of hand.

football has to wake up & realise that if you continue to treat your customers this way , you may find that one day you have no -one left coming through your turnstiles.

It really has to stop. We are not immune here; the Police film people in the North Stand without consent for reasons of "crowd control" and our stewards can be just as overbearing. If it were confined to teenagers, I'm sure that we could just tut away and compare it to "our day" Well this is our day, I lasted until the last Celtic game before being hijacked and booted out and there are lots of examples of decent folk being targetted by these neanderthals in yellow. . I'm in agreement Jondo - there comes apoint when spending ?100 quid or so on a day out to be treated like scum ceases to be worth it, but I'm damned if I'll lose out on my away games without a fight.

Thanks to all who have responded so far to my request for information, see you on Saturday.

• Agree 2

Love Street - Last day of the season - 1-0 win with Caff scoring a header.

That was 4 years ago and I had just walked from Inverness on Highland March 5.

There to meet us was my partner (now wife) and her two kids.

No sooner had we had our pre-match drinks, we found ourselves a decent seat behind the goal. The mrs and her daughter sat next to me, whilst the wee man sat directly in front.

All around there were teenagers and adults relaxed in their chairs with their feet resting on the back of the seat in front. Her lad decided to copy and was waving his caley flag and enjoying his day - it was after all his first ever away day (and I dont think he's had an away day since:ponder: )

I think it was shortly before Caff scored (his fave player at the time too) that a steward made a b-line for the wee man, tapped his feet off the chair (quite vigerously too) and told him to keep his feet of the chair. To say the wee man was heart-broken was an understatement. One or two people joined me in tryin to find out why he was such an :moon02:

Needless to say I was ready to swing for him too, and those who know me will tell you I dont have an aggressive bone in my body.

The other people who were doing the same (resting feet on chairs) were not spoken to, yet this :******: decided to pick on a 6-year-old.

I contacted ICT initially to raise the concern and see what I could do, and also to get contact details at st mirren. I had the sympathy of the club (ICT) and they were great. However, St Mirren were less than co-operative. It took 3 or 4 e-mails to even get a responce. When I did, I was given the most feeble excuses/reasons/actions etc and even told not to contact the address again as it was a personal address.

I didnt hear from them again until 24 hours before we were next due in Paisley, where we were offered free tickets for the match. (great notice, 24 hours). I replied to say we couldnt accept because of the short notice. We never heard back from them again...

Im probably going to get absolute pelters for this but here goes.

In my opinion this subject is getting rather tiresome. I have travelled to the majority of away games this season and love nothing more than following my team all over the country. I enjoy everthing about it. The trip down and back on the train, pre match drinks and getting the craic with my mates. But primarily im there to watch the football and support my team. Thats what it is all about. We are all down there to watch the game of football.

Now I totally agree with everyone else that some of the stewarding is ridiculous and heavy-handed but at some point everyone is going to have to stop all the nonense and abide by their rules. People got chucked out at the first away game of the season at tannadice and since then it has been happening on a weekly basis. There has been occasions where I too have argued with stewards over their dealings with some fans but there have been many instances where I have fully agreed with Stewards throwing certain fans out. A lot of our fans, particularly the young fans, seem to just be there to start something off with stewards. I've stood at a lot of games aswell but if your told to sit down a couple of times then your just going to have to do what they say. Its not like they are going to change their minds. We are all there to watch the game, not to get chucked out. But everyone cant seem to understand that. The youngsters seem to take great delight in arguing, goading and baiting the stewards. Its no wonder that they are getting chucked out and its embarassing that its happening every away game. Its even more embarassing that these people who have spent a fortune travelling to the game are only getting to see a part of the game when all they had to do was shut their mouths and just get on with the fact that the stewards are arseholes and not going to change their minds. You can slag off the stewards all you like but at some point fans are going to have to change the way they act.

Yesterday was a prime example. Granted the steward was way out of line with what he did, but what is he supposed to do when he was constantly getting abuse from them all. Everyone has their breaking point and I would challenge everyone of you to put yourself in his shoes and not react the way he did. I think everyone knows that the boy that it happened to has a fair mouth on him and there has been many occassions where he has been out of order with some of the abuse he has given. He was told many times to sit down but never once did. Why not just shut up, sit down and watch the game like he came to do?

Now I know that I'm now going to get dogs abuse for all this but this can't keep happening every week. Stewarding around the country needs changed and they do spoil an enjoyable day out but our fans are also going to have to change if they want this situation to get any better.

• Agree 21
  • Disagree 6

Brave post. Your correct. I've never been chucked out, and never will. I can manage it. One steward, 'touches' (snigger) one fan. Everyone goes on about what the steward did wrong. Why is everyone kidding themselves? Your supposed to sit. That's the rules. The steward was quite clearly a mouth breather, you could tell because he's fat and wearing an orange jacket with 'Event Security' on the back. Do what you want, like anything you want, but please face up to the consequences of your actions. When I drink before a game, I go, knowing that no matter how much I don't like the rule, that I can get turned away at the gate, with no refund, for being under the influence. Stewards are diks, doormen are diks, call centers are a ***** way to conduct business, immigration is out of hand, money is king, burds hate me, nothing is built to last these days, everything is over priced, we're all under paid, my granny is dead, your granny is dead, Jade Goodie is dead, R & B is here to stay, Israel is too, life is unfair, Man U always win, Jez Clarkson is famous, and Odhiambo is never going to try. These are all facts of life, that we know about, failure to accept these facts will result in an uphill battle throughout life.

• Agree 10
  • Disagree 1

TheKnowledge, yer post sure made me laugh out loud and of course you are correct in that the heavy handed authoritarian stewards will always win out,hugely frustrating as it is and happens everywhere to one degree or another, our own fine examples on both sides of Sandeman street being amongst the worst in the country and I watched Raith fans getting ejected for enjoying themselves and trying to create an atmosphere on Saturday.

I consider myself law abiding,with self control and as such I used to go along and watch quite a lot of games as a neutral but coupled with cost, an unsavoury incident at TCS a few seasons back means i no longer tolerate being treated with disdain as a paying customer, so chose to spend my disposable elsewhere and were it not for a long and engrained loyalty would have long since ceased to attend football in Scotland at all.

Edited by Heilandee
  • Agree 1

Brave post. Your correct. I've never been chucked out, and never will. I can manage it. One steward, 'touches' (snigger) one fan. Everyone goes on about what the steward did wrong. Why is everyone kidding themselves? Your supposed to sit. That's the rules. The steward was quite clearly a mouth breather, you could tell because he's fat and wearing an orange jacket with 'Event Security' on the back. Do what you want, like anything you want, but please face up to the consequences of your actions. When I drink before a game, I go, knowing that no matter how much I don't like the rule, that I can get turned away at the gate, with no refund, for being under the influence. Stewards are diks, doormen are diks, call centers are a ***** way to conduct business, immigration is out of hand, money is king, burds hate me, nothing is built to last these days, everything is over priced, we're all under paid, my granny is dead, your granny is dead, Jade Goodie is dead, R & B is here to stay, Israel is too, life is unfair, Man U always win, Jez Clarkson is famous, and Odhiambo is never going to try. These are all facts of life, that we know about, failure to accept these facts will result in an uphill battle throughout life.

That's probably the best post I've ever read. On any football messageboard.

Green dot for the quality facts.

Im guessing it's the same wee **** that is always at St. Mirren and Morton with his clipboard thinking he is so important standing at the bottom of the stand pointing at people to be thrown out;. He is an arse of the highest order. Everyone should email St. Mirren about this.

It has become beyond a joke and the over aggressive stewarding only creates problems and raises tensions. At Hearts the stewards stand at the bottom of the stand and just leave the fans to have a good time and there is never a problem and it is viewed by most as the best away day. This used to be the case at Hibs as well but that seems to have changed.

Not once in the many games I have been to abraod are the stewards like this, they keep out of the way and let the fans enjoy themsleves and I guess only get involved if there is serious trouble. I'm just sick of it here and it really puts me off going to away game, Hibs is a game I would never normally miss but I'm having second thought about going after last time as it just ruins the whole day out. The SPL keep going on about improving fan experience and raising crowds, well this is one way to start.

• Agree 1

For those who weren't there on Saturday, it wasn't just a simple case of sitting v standing. People were made to sit down right after the goals had been scored. Reading the St Mirren board, the stewards obviously acted the same way towards their own fans. Do people really want an environment where you must sit down exactly 60 seconds after scoring or be thrown out?

And the last time we went to St Mirren, we were able to stand at the back for the whole game.

The problem on Saturday was indeed the fact they were OTT. Being told to sit down as we score is a new record. We were then told you can stand up if there is something happening in the game, so sometimes it's ok and sometimes it's not. We then get told the usual that it only happens as there is so few there. If it was the in firm our other larger supports they wouldn't do anything. They dont't help themsleves with these statements or by allowing us to stand for 90 minutes at the game back in September. At the end of that game we were getting photo's taken with the stewards as they had been first class.

As for the major flash point, yes said ICT fan is never perfect, hell neither am I, but at the time of the incident,he was siting down and had to be dragged out off his seat by the steward ( P McNeil, PMS Events). This steward was out of control and had forgotten all his training. His manager also had lost control off him and should have had him put to another stand instead of allowing him to come back in to try and control things! He tried to refuse to give me his SIA number but as this is a breach in the regulation I was able to get this and shall be making a complaint to them also.

We all know that standing is a SPl guidline, we just want it to be the same for everyone. Until the day everyone is treated the same, there will be problems. Just allow standing back, shimples!

• Agree 1

I was sitting next to the person who got thrown out at the game. The stuard was getting on at him, no one else he kept telling him to sit down and there was still people standing next to him and he did nothing. He said he is sick of being treated like a f**king animal. Then the stuard said dont f*cking swear at me then he went right up in the boys face then grabed him by the neck and then draged him out of his seat. The fans were saying thats out of order and the other stuards just stood there and looked at them like they didnt care.

We all know that standing is a SPl guidline, we just want it to be the same for everyone. Until the day everyone is treated the same, there will be problems. Just allow standing back, shimples!

This is the main problem, we're not allowed to stand. Does it not go back to the Taylor report and Hillsborough? I think it's like our laws on Marley's special herb where, depending on the officer who catches you (and what music their into), you will get treated differently, even though it's against the rules all the same. My mate told me this, I wouldn't know for sure though.....

OK so we know we are supposed to sit but stopping folk standing to celebrate a goal is a new one to me. The problem is the rules are not fair or equitable. Was chatting to the stewards whilst in the half time queue at St Johnstone and they were trying to explain when it is ok to stand up and sit down. Tried to explain back that the problem is that different stewards apply the rules in different ways. Went to Hampden last yr to see Scotland. Middle son was a mascot and as we left the car spoke to a lady steward who confirmed ok to take camera in as long as not a video camera. When we got to the ground husband went to go in main entrance and was stopped by rude steward and told no cameras allowed. Eventually my husband just put said camera out of sight with his jacket and went in. Spoke to sfa woman looking after my son when they got in and youve guessed it cameras allowed. So if we had listened to the rude steward we would have missed pics of a one in a lifetime event!

With regard to St Mirren it is the fact that it is one rule for us and another for others. One of the St Mirren fans has a reply from the safety officer explaining why large crowds ie the old firm do not get told to sit down or chucked out. Am I being thick but if the reason we sit down is to prevent a crowd surge then surely large numbers in a potential surge would cause more damage?

As for hibs was planning it after vowing last time that I wouldnt return. Dunno now.

As already stated most of us are no angels but we are paying customers and deserve to be treated as such.

After yet another stewarding debacle, does anyone feel strongly enough to boycott the Hibs game? I think we all have a rough idea as to what'll happen two weeks on Saturday.

What would this achieve?

i go to the games to follow and cheer on caley, bad stewarding has nothing to do with following my team.

• Agree 5

Most of the time that I was standing up was because the guy in front of me was standing up.I'm certainly not going to pay ?20 to sit down and look at the back of jacket...I can do that at home for nothing and not spend most of the day traveling to do it either.

Stewards do get dog abuse from some fans but they shouldn't react the way they did. Those kinds of actions can cause trouble. When taking on a job like you have to be very thick skinned indeed and if you aren't you shouldn't be in the job.

• Agree 1