Stewarding issues

davie

Bayern Munich have a great safe standing sections which encourage a very vocal support,everyone has a standing number similair to a seat number,no problems

Dortmund also have an excellent standing area. I think it might even be the largest football terrace in Europe.

*checks Wiki*

Yup, seems it is. Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_Iduna_Park. Pretty impressive!

Regularly 24,454 fans on the famous terrace called S?dtrib?ne fill the largest still existing standing area in European football.

Suedtribuene.jpg

Bayern Munich have a great safe standing sections which encourage a very vocal support,everyone has a standing number similair to a seat number,no problems

Dortmund also have an excellent standing area. I think it might even be the largest football terrace in Europe.

*checks Wiki*

Yup, seems it is. Have a look at http://en.wikipedia....nal_Iduna_Park. Pretty impressive!

Regularly 24,454 fans on the famous terrace called S?dtrib?ne fill the largest still existing standing area in European football.

Suedtribuene.jpg

The Signal Iduna Park (The Westfalonstadion to me and you) is quite the football ground. They seem to add to it every year! The section in the top right of the ground being one example.

OK folks .... friendly warning .... topic in danger of being closed down.

The topic is about the behaviour of stewards at St Mirren Park last week and even a slightly wider debate about stewarding in general.

It is not a terracing or safe-standing discussion and although that may be relevant to stewarding we are certainly not going to let it go down the Hillsborough-Heysel-Bradford City route and be dragged further off topic. to do so would only allow the venom and bile that will surely follow if the last 3 or 4 posts are anything to go by.

As an aside: Terracing was not abolished as a result of Heysel, it was abolished as part of the Taylor Report into Hillsborough and even Taylor observed that the terracing was not intrinsically unsafe in and of itself, it was the policing that was the issue in that particular tragedy.

EDIT: After a number of complaints submitted by site members using the 'report post' function, I have hidden the initial posts referring to Heysel/Liverpool and several follow up comments (that would now be out of context). Lets stay on topic please.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Hola from Panama City. Heading home tomorrow but not in time to attend Saturdays game (supposed to be doing a night shift anyhow). Surprised to hear about Midden game as the first one was such a pleasant atmosphere. Many including myself commented on just that. Such is life. We must continue to protest in a peaceful manner...........the ultimate, unfortunately being non-attendance.

Hasta Luego

Not yet. The General Manager was going to review what happened (it was all on CCTV) with the Police and Head Steward. I'll fill you in when they get back to me.

Ach davie, has there no been enough bother already? :arsekick:

i would like to add that i spoke to a guy named wee john on the train back south. He was a great laugh and ended up being the head of the saints supporters club and he told me that two young boys were ejected yesterday for similar to the problems we encountered at st mirren. He also told me that he has spoken to police about this issue before at mcdairmaid and that there stance is to remove some people from little away supports like ours to kill everything and have order. The old firm dont get hasseled because they believe that if they did eject supporters then they would cause a riot because of the bigger crowds.

i would like to add that i spoke to a guy named wee john on the train back south. He was a great laugh and ended up being the head of the saints supporters club and he told me that two young boys were ejected yesterday for similar to the problems we encountered at st mirren. He also told me that he has spoken to police about this issue before at mcdairmaid and that there stance is to remove some people from little away supports like ours to kill everything and have order. The old firm dont get hasseled because they believe that if they did eject supporters then they would cause a riot because of the bigger crowds.

I seen about 10 stewards over at the St. Johnstone fans who were standing and singing and making the only atmosphere in the stadium. Just pathetic, think I might write to the club about this. Will they be employing the same rules for everyone or just pick on small groups and seems to be invariably young boys. Or will they be showing the usual double standards come 3 weeks time when we play one of the OF in the cup?

Will they hell, they will sit back cowardly and let them stand and do what they want for the whole game and come the following home game they will act all jumped up jobsworth again throwing out young boys from a smaller support. I expect them to employ the same rules to everyone, either let all away supports stand or start throwing out the OF fans.

• Agree 3

Seemed to be overkill at the away end yesterday. About 8-10 police as well as several stewards. Dunno if it was because of the blue and white away day thing. One guy got lifted on his way in the turnstiles think it was because he had been drinking but certainly not blazing drunk. Polis man appeared to be in a crap mood even snapped at his colleague when he shouted over a question to him about where someone else could pay to get in.Everyone gong in seemed very good natured and having a good day - St Johnstone seem a bit like ourselves just ordinary folk having a good away day. Pity that the sense of humour and common sense seems to have gone from football.

well he said to me that they did allow some of them to stand for while but after the first 20 minutes they killed the atmosphere with there heavy handed tactics and it is something that needs to be consistent across all clubs because it does ruin it that some clubs like hearts have no problems and give a great away day experience but places like hibs or st mirren last week are more heavy handed. Consistancy that is what is needed

Some St Johnstone fans had been causing trouble on he way to the stadium yesterday and I saw a couple of arrests being made before the game. Proably why so many xtra police turned up at the match and also saw stewards coming round the corner at main stand near away end with quite a few bits of broken seats so looks like they were doing damage. So what they might be telling people was bad treatment was actually because they were behaving like neds.

• Agree 1

Some St Johnstone fans had been causing trouble on he way to the stadium yesterday and I saw a couple of arrests being made before the game. Proably why so many xtra police turned up at the match and also saw stewards coming round the corner at main stand near away end with quite a few bits of broken seats so looks like they were doing damage. So what they might be telling people was bad treatment was actually because they were behaving like neds.

that must explain the guy getting lifted then. 2 sides to the story.

This may have already been covered and apologies if it has - there was a Hearts fan on P&B last month after the 1-0 Hearts victory at Tynie against Rangers who said his brother-in-law is a PS with Lothian and Borders and they are instructed by the match commander to basically get the OF fans into the ground, then out again with the minimum of fuss. They are left to stand as one and sing and chant anything they like. The brother-in-law said they get away with all sorts from breaking the seats to threatening the stewards and pilliging the pie stalls on the concourse.

This is the same at all Scottish stadia as well apparently. So it literally is one rule for them and another for everyone else.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

I have recieved an answer from St. Mirren after their General manager and I missing each other's calls over a week or so. The upshot is that the Steward concerned was dismissed as soon as the CCTV footage was reviewed. The matter was fully discussed at their safety meetings and the outcomes explained to me. St. Mirren offered an apology and tickets to the next fixture between the two clubs, which was accepted and the matter closed.

I would emphasise that St. Mirren were open and helpful throughout and their General Manager (Brian Caldwell) was genuine and professional at all times. If only every Club were as good. Can I thank everyone who PM'd support and information on this and other Boards.

• Agree 4