ICT -V- Dundee Utd : Matchnight Thread

Scotty

Why did Butcher start with 3 centre backs and a donkey across the back?

Why was Russell dropped?

Why was the Ref allowed to continue being a ref - he should have had his ar5e booted out of the stadium.

Why were the gritter lorries spreading salt on the A9 at 10.15 pm when my car tells me its 7.5c

Why does Gaddafi duck think everbody in his country loves him?

When will Chris Innes stop wearing slip-ons instead of football boots?

By feck i'm pi55ed off with that lot tonight...

Tell you something else... Rossco had his worst game tonight for a long time - he's no longer a right back got caught out far to often..

A bit p1ssed off at the game but will be back on Saturday, forever the optimist, going to bed with the thoughts that I kind of expected Utd to be higher up the table than us come the split anyway and that we are still only 4 points behind Motherwell.

It wasn't that bad and a better performance than the Hibs game. United are a decent team, they took their chances, we never took ours. The ref and stand-side linesman (made one decision all night) were awful. We're not going down but highly unlikely to be top six either. Season is likely to fizzle out unless we can keep the cup run going.

the performances are bad but top 6 aint over unlikely but still not over so all we can do is get behind them even if they are playing pants and hope that our last 5 league matches see us play well and pick up points. Look at Saturday as the game that will make or break the season. A win and we are 1 point behind motherwell and depending on killies result 3 behind them. Dundee utd still have lots of games to play so even though it is disappointing after such a promising first half we must remember where we were 12 months ago we never looked like being in the SPL let alone having a chance of a top 6 spot with 5 league games until the split so lets get behind the boys and support them watever happens at the end of april. We are punching above our weight but we havent become a terrible team overnight just maybe lacking confidence and hopefully with hayes fit again we can play better stuff the fitter he gets COMONictscarf.gif ICT

• Agree 2

Bad decision by Butcher after Dorans injury. Looked comfortable at 442 created chances then he changes the whole dynamics by pushing Foran out left.

The game for us then just died. Nick Ross came on and looked totally lost, Richie Foran became totally ineffective out wide, any shape the team had was lost. Reverted to type aimless long balls.

Appreciate options on the bench not great but giving Sutherland a run wide left would have meant keeping Foran up front to support Rooney.

One plus point easiest trip home to Forres where did everybody go ????

Granted, this was a pretty poor game, and while Utd played some pretty football, they offered no real goal threat until they scored. There was a definite push on Innes(?) but only Tokely seemed to appeal. Maybe the team had given up appealing to the referee by that point as they got nothing all night. Someone stated earlier that Tokely was lucky to stay on after being booked ealier. True but then again he should not have been bokked as his tackle was mistimed, nothing else. Utd players were falling over at every opportinity (Goodwillie and Conway especially) and after Gomis gets a talking to be the ref for persistent fouling, goes and commits at least another 3 with nothinh happening. Truly a dreadful referee and, had Utd not scored from open play, I feel sure they would have got a penalty. Every week we seem to get a referee who is worse than the previous week, and while it didn't cost us this game, it didn't help and we sure ain't getting any breaks from referees at the moment. Don't know how the refs treat us at away matches but might this just contribute in some small way to our home performance when we suffer from poor refereeing constantly.

Anyway, as for the game, obvious to me that Munro is not a left back and he either moves back to central defence or is dropped. Tokely's distribution, along with almost everyone else last night was poor, and Conway was taking him to the cleaners on occasions althouigh he was not helped by Nick Ross not tracking back to help him. Nick Ross needs to man up a bit and start to tackle otherwise he is not offering much at the moment. I actually though Innes and Hogg came onto reasonable games and were not seriously troubled until after the first goal when we started to chase the game. Innes may be up to all sorts of tricks but at least he is street wise which a lot of our players are not. We get the things that Innes does done to us ona regular basis and if refs cannot be bothered to clamp down, then you fight fire with fire. Midfield was poor apart from Cox who had his best game for a while. Duff didn't produce much, Hayes was obvioulsy rusty from being out and his touch was generally poor but it will come back. Dorans looked like he could do something and it was unfortunate he got injured as Nick Ross offered little threat in the time he came on and cannot play central midfield. Rooney should have scored his one real chance but apart from that, service to him poor and not a lot he could do. Foran, good in parts, dreadful in others nothing more to say.

The problem of playing with an unsettled back four is causing problems now as is a settled midfield. Duncan needs to come back in but I don't think, and I maybe agree, that Terry think Cox and Duncan compliment each other in midfield. For me however, Duncan every time.

Ach, it's no the ref's fault we are sh*te.

With a bit of luck we could have scored, but it would be pushing the boat out too far to say we deserved anything from this game. Good effort by Foran and good save by Pernis. Another effort ricocheted around their box but no takers, a couple of good low balls fizzed across the box in second half, again no takers and lastly another headed effort from Rooney that he would rather not be reminded of, he should have scored.

But the standard of our play in between these moments was horrendous, absolutely garbage. Kick it anywhere stuff, just the way you are facing. Rossco was lucky to stay on the park, although I thought his booking was a little harsh, the ref obviously thought the same and never sent him off for the second scything tackle which should have really been a second yellow, lucky loon.

We have no providers at all. Nick Ross showed absolutely nothing, schoolboy stuff, like a frightened rabbit in the headlights and Jonny showed glimpses, but was not fit enough to work hard. Innes is not good enough, he's finished, and Grant and Rossco should be the stoppers. Cox was one of a select few who gets plus marks from me.

All in all, an embarrassing game to watch from an ICT perspective, United however will not be complaining.

Come on guys, we are suffering at the moment, pick yourselves up and get stuck in, oh, Terry, you will need Russell Duncan for that by the way.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

To be fair thought Munro did ok at fullback. Looked to be a wee bit isolated at times but did not bad.

Questions are how longs Shinnie out for, Gillet is he still with us and Mcbain(maybe injured) and Golabek will they ever play for us again ?

I'm thoroughly fed up of watching home defeats this season. I can't remember a season when we lost so many at home. What happened to the old fighting spirit we used to see at the TCS? It wouldn't surprise me if we lost all the remaining games before the split and Celtic will have nowt to fear in the cup game as well.

I can remember the last twice things were this bad at home....one was our relegation season, the other was in 2005/06 when we only recorded 5 home wins in the season......that was the year we were 7th at the split and our points at the end of season would have had placed us 4th.

Bad home form perhaps isn't necessarily the bad omen some people think it is when you take that into consideration!!!

Ok. So it was poor fare yesterday and folk are right to be disappointed - I'm disappointed - but if we are disappointed in the performance of the team just think how disappointed the team must be with the "supporters". I know the subject of the lack of atmosphere at home games has been done to death in the past but I really think we reached new lows yesterday. I honestly can't remember being at a match anywhere where there was less noise. I was late arriving and as I walked to the ground I could hear nothing other than the passing cars. I walked into the ground and it was like walking into a bloody library. There were a couple of half hearted attempts to get some chants going but that was it. The rising noise of expectation when we broke forward or had a corner was strangely muted. You could hear a Werthers Original wrapper at 20 paces. And finally when Utd scored their second there was the biggest mass exodus I have ever seen.

If Celtic had just lost 2 - 0 at home to Hamilton and gone bottom of the league then a mass exodus might be justified but FFS we are a small team and we are 7th in the SPL.! If we finish the season in 7th then that will be the highest position any Highland team has finished in the history of Scottish football - but yet several hundred walk out in disgust! Yes, the season has had its ups and downs and we are certainly on a down at the moment, but overall the team has done well and deserves our support. Last night it did not get it and as a result we got what we deserved. I really feel for the players because they deserve better than that.

I'll repeat it - we're 7th in the SPL. That's good. Let's applaud that fact and get behind the team :ictscarf: :ictscarf:

• Agree 4

I would have given you a green dot for that DoofersDad if i hadn't run out of them.

So would I, DoofersDad. You da man!

(The mass exodus before the final-whistle was seriously embarrassing, as it was at Hibs on Saturday. Stand your ground until the bitter end people, no matter what the score.)

What was embarrassing was the performance by ICT, from managers down to substitutes. Shambolic performance and display. It was a frustrating game to watch, grown men clueless at their chosen profession.

That's not to say it won't change, but our recent form would suggest we are the poorest team in the league at the moment.

For long periods of the game we chased shadows, and our attempts to get forward were schoolboyish. Kick and run stuff.

I doubt we could beat County right now.

Still, I'll be back in my seat on Saturday hoping for something better, but I won't hold my breath.

ps, I'm all for happy clapping where merited, but happy clapping wins nothing I'm afraid and if the teams fortunes are on the downward spiral then I would expect plenty of criticism from the paying public, after all, where was the entertainment in watching our team being bushwacked.

And....................

Heres the stats that make up my poorest team theory,

1 win in 14 games

5 draws 14 games

That equates to 8 points from a possible 42 points, that is 34 missing points in 14 games.

That 14 game spell includes playing all teams at least once, therefore no wins over anybody other than Perth.

Nothing much there to get too excited about, and a draw with Hamilton is now considered a good result. We have been found out. Sorry for the doom and gloom, but that is the reality of the situation and managers have been sacked for less.

Meh.

I said after the Killie defeat at Christmas that we would be beaten in Perth and then struggle to win games until the end of the season. I hate being right at the moment. The injuries don't help but the overall performance level is shocking. A serious re-think is needed to who can perform on the pitch and drop anyone (even Foran) that is not up to scratch.

And....................

Heres the stats that make up my poorest team theory,

1 win in 14 games

5 draws 14 games

That equates to 8 points from a possible 42 points, that is 34 missing points in 14 games.

That 14 game spell includes playing all teams at least once, therefore no wins over anybody other than Perth.

Nothing much there to get too excited about, and a draw with Hamilton is now considered a good result. We have been found out. Sorry for the doom and gloom, but that is the reality of the situation and managers have been sacked for less.

Meh.

I can't help but feel at times, that the problem is Butcher. Sure the club got promoted, but where does he go from here? Butcher seems like a man lost and out of ideas. Just the other day I read people on here saying that he's "ICT's greatest ever manager" and one person a while ago even said "he'd one day manage in the Premiership and be as good as Alex Ferguson"! Unbelievable stuff. There's something about the whole thing right now where I can't help but feel to a certain degree that we're like a bunch of lemmings, blind faith leading us closer and closer to the edge of the cliff.

Sort of agree with Rene here. It just seems to be all blame on the players coming from Terry just now but I think that he needs to look at himself as well. Dont think continually slagging of the players in public will work in the long run anyway is morale is low at the moment how is running anyone down going to help. Think that digging in, working hard and playing a better tactical game is how we are going to improve from the current abysmal form. That said at the start of the season I would have settled for any place above 12th.

Butcher managing in the EPL?? Who said that :rotflmao: :rotflmao:. I agree that we would of taken anything above 12th at the start of the season but we have been pish since late November, what is pissing me off is he clearly has favourite's who no matter how they play end up on the teamsheet. Yet, Duncan is a better player than both Duff and Cox but he's always the fall guy????

I would say that overexpectationitus epidemic has hit the highlands.

It first appeared in Dingwall with County reaching the cup final and the overexpectationitus started to spread with the belief they would win the league the following year. Derek Adams became infected and moved on as his team weren't going to win every game, the fans caught the overexpectationitus believing that their team would do no wrong, the team caught overexpectationitus believing that they were so good they didnt have to try as hard (also known as Barrowman syndrome).

The epidemic has now spread to Invernessshire with overexpectationitus affecting large proportions of the ICT fan base with ICT slowly climbing the league, getting closer to 4th place and thoughts of a place in Europe next season.

I caught overexpectationitus but I'm on the mend now so will be glad to get back to normal and cheer on ICT against Motherwell.

Hopefully the Barrowman syndrome isn't affecting the players too much, maybe a bit more is required that just clearing the zone and booting it up the park,maybe your team mate needs a bit more help,maybe you have to be a wee bit closer for a more accurate pass, maybe you have to think more of whats going on in the game and not the league table.

Well I'm almost over it.

• Agree 1