Early 60's in Inverness

latviaman

Does anyone remember the FLock, Size Four, Accents where have all these people gone to. Does anyone remember the Club at the top of the raining stairs, which has gone now, some hairy nights there. ]

Anyone with memories get in touch

I met Beenz MacBean at Jim Love the Courier editor's funeral and we had a good blether about the Flock, his mini van which used to be almost  - I didn't go to secondary school until 1965. Size MacKay is, I believe, very successful in the legal profession in Edinburgh or at least I did hear that said at the time of the merger. I think his father was Eric MacKay who was big in the Boys' Brigade and also MD of Fraser and McCall the ironmongers in Eastgate (in the days that everything was wrapped up in brown paper by men in brown coats.... forkhandles!)

The Club at the top of Raining's Stairs is long gone and is now a car park. It began life as Dr. Raining's School in the 18th or 19th century. I was never in it as a club (nor as a school for that matter!) but it did have something of a reputation as a den of iniquity.

When I was last home someone told me Size was either an advocate or a judge and owned a house in Barbados.

I parked my hire car at the top of the raining stairs ... well the street when I wanted to find the Market steps.

Ps did we know what iniquity was in the 60's

I assume that the club at the top of the Raining Stairs was the Fifty Fifty Club which started in the mid fifties. Another club was the Jazz Club which operated from the basement of the shop situated on the corner of the road next to the town hall leading up to the castle - it is now an Italian restaurant.

• 1 month later...

Was there not a club at the top of the Raining Stairs called the "Doc Hay Club" which was run by a gynaecologist from Raigmore Hospital.

Is there a somewhat sinister connection there? 

Ah, so that's why we called it the Doc's club. Some good times there. Eric Allan taught a very successful guitar class there, great place to just hang out. A MacCaffrey ran it for a while as a youth club. Hot Cottage played there. I remember when Noddy played there with his band, who had just returned from one of thier forays south, with equipment we were informed 'liberated' from the HP agreements. To make it a 'special' night, Noddy also cooked a curry for everybody in giant cooking pots the club had. We thought it was great, though it is surprising we didn't all feel the effects the next day. There was a derelict Rover parked there, which was the scene of many a young man's exploration of his sexual education, or at least his girlfriend's.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jock Watt

YES, the Club at the top of Raining's Stairs WAS the 50-50 Club, right enough!

It was where I first learned to dance when a young lady asked me for a "Lady's Choice".

Well this shows you how old I am I can remember in Doc's Hays days a ditty being sung, at the 50/50 club going like this,  Here comes Doctor AB Hay in his Jaguar, the rest I for :014:get , put it down to the word beginning with D, I cannot spell (Charles) :