Refuseniks

dougal

Refuseniks  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How many refuseniks are/were there?

This subject seems to rear its head now and again so i'd thought it was time to set up a poll so the subject could get put to bed once and for all

Its probably more appropriate to older ICT fans but younger fans can join in as they may have fathers/relations etc who were involved with Caledonian Fc or Inverness Thistle at the time of the merger

Think it safe to say that we all know that there are fans of the two parent clubs who refused to watch or support ICT in any way but just how many are/were there???

From what I can make out from this forum there are very few Caledonian or Thistle fans on here and the majority seem to be younger fans who have only supported ICT in their life time

I've stated before i've experienced hostility from pre-merger fans when the topic ICT is mentioned so I know it exists in our city

A few questions to maybe ponder and debate

1. I'm not an expert on the merger as I wasn't in Inverness at the time it happened but would we have a higher average attendance had Caledonian FC gone alone?

2. Buses leave Inverness for Pittodrie,Ibrox and Parkhead every weekend so did numbers dramatically increase on these coaches once both pre-merger clubs ceased to exist?

3. Do any on here personally know any refuseniks and if so are they as anti ICT now or have they mellowed as time goes by?

4.Were any posters on here in the Caley Rebel group?

5.Were and posters on here involved in any of the meetings when the voting on the merger took place and if so what were your memories and recollections?

6. Were you a pro merger or anti-merger voter?

No doubt I will get slated yet again for posting this thread but this is by no means a wind up or a fishing trip, its a subject i'm genuinely interested in and to be honest i find the whole subject quite fascinating

dougal

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 5

It was quite interesting to deabte this one the first four or five... or even six!... times it popped up on this forum. But it's now got quite tedious and I'm not even going to dignify the question with a vote on the poll.

But let's look at it this way.

After the Howden End and a lot further afield was trawled again and again and again for Caley "anti" sentiment for the 1st December 1993 Rose Street vote, 226 people voted against the merger. This is the biggest anti merger vote that there ever was.

We also know that a great number of that 226 subsequently became regular attenders. But let's be conservative and say that half the "NO" voters didn't attend matches. That's 113 and if you make a very generous addition of 87 from the much smaller Thistle support, that get's you to what I suspect is a vastly over generous 200 refuseniks compared with the 1500 or so fans which was the average gate in the early days.

17 years on, a significant proportion of that generous 200 are either dead or have left the area. There MAY be 100 left which out of a core home support of about 3000 is a VERY small price to pay for the formation of a club which represents the whole of Inverness.

Had Caley gone alone, I don't think the support would have been anything like as large and the financial backing from the Council and the community and business certainly wouldn't have been.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

It was quite interesting to deabte this one the first four or five... or even six!... times it popped up on this forum. But it's now got quite tedious and I'm not even going to dignify the question with a vote on the poll.

After the Howden End and a lot further afield was trawled again and again and again for Caley "anti" sentiment for the 1st December 1993 Rose Street vote, 226 people voted against the merger. This is the biggest anti merger vote that there ever was.

We also know that a great number of that 226 subsequently became regular attenders. But let's be conservative and say that half the "NO" voters didn't attend matches. That's 113 and if you make a very generous addition of 87 from the much smaller Thistle support, that get's you to what I suspect is a vastly over generous 200 refuseniks compared with the 1500 or so fans which was the average gate in the early days.

17 years on, a significant proportion of that generous 200 are either dead or have left the area. There MAY be 100 left which out of a core home support of about 3000 is a VERY small price to pay for the formation of a club which represents the whole of Inverness.

Had Caley gone alone, I don't think the support would have been anything like as large and the financial backing from the Council and the community and business certainly wouldn't have been.

Probably about the only thing we ever agree on Charles...heck, I think I'll even give you a green dot.

• Agree 1

Ok Charles or should that be Eric :rotflmao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83B3Laghlkg

How exactly do you know that a great number of that 226 became regulars?That is quite frankly a ridiculous statement on your part!!

If my source is correct the highest ever recorded YES vote was allegedly 250 and a large amount of these people had probably never set foot in Telford St in their entire life but no doubt you will attempt to correct me if i'm wrong :ponder:

I firmly believe that a generation of Caledonian fans have turned their back on ICT with maybe a handful only becoming regulars, Mantis being one of that few and I salute him for that

dougal

This is clearly a shameless attempt by Dougal to reach 200 red dots before CaleyD or IHE reach 200 green dots. Don't give him the satisfaction. A green dot to you CalyD!

Sorry Doofers dad i'm afraid you are very wrong, I couldn't care one hoot about the stupid green dot/red dot farce

I personally would like to see it binned however it probably keeps the ICT boo boys/keyboard warriors happy

dougal

• Disagree 1

Dougal you are wrong. I still see a lot of fans now that I knew then around the TCS. charles is right in that a lot have now died and at first I think a lot did stay away but eventually a lot drifted back. I voted for option one in the poll as I dont think there are many of the diehard refuseniks left. My brother and his mate are part of this group and there are a few guys that post on pie and bovril but I think a lot just moved on.

I dont really think a lot of folk care about old history anymore. My kids certainly dont. Personally I just like the fact that the Caley name is still alive and well and remember the HL days as being fun but I was very young them. I dont think that Caley would have achieved as much on their own personally as ICT have.

Edited by old caley girl
  • Agree 1

Dougal you are wrong. I still see a lot of fans now that I knew then around the TCS. charles is right in that a lot have now died and at first I think a lot did stay away but eventually a lot drifted back. I voted for option one in the poll as I dont think there are many of the diehard refuseniks left. My brother and his mate are part of this group and there are a few guys that post on pie and bovril but I think a lot just moved on.

I dont really think a lot of folk care about old history anymore. My kids certainly dont. Personally I just like the fact that the Caley name is still alive and well and remember the HL days as being fun but I was very young them. I dont think that Caley would have achieved as much on their own personally as ICT have.

Fair enough I appreciate your input and that is why I started the thread as I wanted opinions from football people like yourself who were about at the time of the merger

I take it your brother and his mate just stopped attending football altogether?

dougal

Fair enough I appreciate your input and that is why I started the thread as I wanted opinions from football people like yourself who were about at the time of the merger

dougal

Yeh they just do Scotland games now.

dougal

Yeh they just do Scotland games now.

Fair play to them its a shame but there were always going to be casualties as a result of the merger

You say you attended all the meetings, I assume you saw folk there you never ever saw at Telford St and probably have never seen since?

dougal

I knew plenty of anti-merger folk when I was back in Inverness but only a small percentage could be classed as 'refuseniks' ... but most mellowed with age. Of those I know, I would probably say that the most hardline in their stances were Kavs and Mr Douglas. Neither would set foot in the stadium and both had very strong opinions on the whole matter which exist to this day as far as I am aware. Fair play to them both and although we disagree vehemently on the subject I have been able to hold a sensible conversation with both of the aforementioned guys in the past about the subject of Caledonian FC / ICT FC.

Totally disagree with you. Tell me Charles, why would a Caledonian Fc in the SPL be any less a draw to punters and businesses than ICT Fc?