Celtic cup tie now WED 7:45

What about the overseas viewers? I believe Setanta (yes, they still exist, or at least did last time I checked) would have the rights to show the game in Australia/North America, as well as those who would the show the game in Asia. Could there not be a chance that the game could still go out live elsewhere, something that ICT could still benefit financially from?

What about the overseas viewers? I believe Setanta (yes, they still exist, or at least did last time I checked) would have the rights to show the game in Australia/North America, as well as those who would the show the game in Asia. Could there not be a chance that the game could still go out live elsewhere, something that ICT could still benefit financially from?

Even though I've seen a rerun of St Jonstone 0 Rangers 7 (Guivarch hat-trick, thank timing that we hadn't yet reached the SPL when that kinda money was floating about!) on Setanta Australia 3 times, and there's a huge selik supporters club here, they had decoded not to show the game anyway. ESPN we're showing, and ripping the **** out off, Scotland and England. They're quite right too,

So because there are matches not even in Scotland, or the UK that are getting shown on UK TV we lose money and can't get our game shown live on TV. SKY and the Champions League are utter idiots.

Its bad enough having the game moved to 3 on a Sunday afternoon ahead of the biggest rugby match of the year but if this Champions League nonsense is in fact the cse I will not be happy.

Does this include the BBC? I would imagine they would love to show a game like this on BBC Two if they got the chance?

Can anyone confirm that UEFA do not allow domestic matches to be televised on Champions League nights?

From the Scotsman:

An agreement is in place that Scottish Cup matches cannot be shown live in the same week as Champions League fixtures. Inverness and Celtic have both lost out on the full ?85,000 pay-out each club would have received from Sky. The money is, however, placed in a pot to be shared by the eight teams still in the Scottish Cup at this stage, with all three ties which were played this week ending in draws

Seems like a feckin stupid "agreement" on the face of it. How do we benefit from giving the Champions League a free run at tv audiences?

Came across this in the Evening Times

LINK

If true it's good news for the other 6 quarter finalists as apparently the £170,000 Sky money that would have been split between us & Celtic now goes into a pot and is divided amongst the 8 teams :doh:

Edited by kencar

I believe Sky's deal was to show three of the four QF's. Having now decided to screen the Brechin v St J replay of tuesday 22nd I think they will fulfil that agreement. Up till last season the fourth QF match went to terrestrial tv. None of them have produced the cash this season. Makes me wonder why I pay a licence.

If our game hadn't been binned they'd have shown two of the QF's with the Dons-Buds game on BBC and Brechin-StJ not on the box. I think they get first dibs on any replays, which would mean showing the StJ-Brechin game. But that would still leave our game. Maybe they aren't going to bother with it, although a midweek away game for Celtic would probably get a few more viewers than most other Scottish games.

Sorry, hadn't realised it was BBC that screened that one.

I do, however remember, many years ago, when the big debate was not to show live games because of the effect on gate numbers. Indeed I remember back in the early eighties when the SFA refused to sell TV rights for a mid week international in the hope of boosting attendance. Think the idea failed dismally though.

Edited by Alex MacLeod

Seems unreal this one isn't going to be picked up. A lot of real Celtic fans won't be able to make it up from the East End of Glasgow. I doubt St Johnstone v Brechin (no disrespect to either) will achieve big viewing figures.

Heard Alan Thompson on the radio last night saying Celtic are flying up for the game. Lucky for some!!

flying from where exactly ??? private jet?

stand up for the caley jags

They could charter a flight but they'd need to rush back to the airport after the game. It closes at ten. Flying wouldn't actually save them much time though. Get on coach to Glasgow airport. Half hour. Check in one and half hours before flying to allow time for the long queues through security. Flight time to Inverness including taxiing an hour. So around three and a half hours to fly and probably the same by coach

I do, however remember, many years ago, when the big debate was not to show live games because of the effect on gate numbers. Indeed I remember back in the early eighties when the SFA refused to sell TV rights for a mid week international in the hope of boosting attendance. Think the idea failed dismally though.

If that was the reasoning behind this then it would be a lot easier to swallow. Unfortunately, the balance of power has swayed so heavily towards Europe's biggest clubs that TV audiences for their games are prioritised above gate numbers and promotion of the domestic game. I wonder what UEFA gives the SFA in return for their acquiescence.