Flag

OWENCF94

the scotland flag with the side parts red looked good when i seen it last night.

ideas for the text?

1. Tokley's gonna get ya
  2. Doin the bouncey since 1994
  3. Pride of the highlands
  4. pundits worst nightmare
  5. voted most likely to go down 1994-2011

I would have liked the Inness bar to buy a flag to advertise itself and support the club but thats for the Inness bar to organize.

The biggest one on that site would cost ?300 + for 25' x 12.5' with Inverness caley thistle 1994 and something like 'the highlanders' + more for the crest on a red and blue back ground, or whatever is most popular.

That would cost 30 people ?10 each, I for one wouldnt mind paying that if the support was there, perhaps the supporters trust would make a contribution too.

In principle I would be happy to give ?10 towards a large flag for the fans.

Jacobite flag - blue and red.

This Jacobite flag??

Jacobite flag.bmp

That isn't the jacobite flag, only the one they have at culloden.

This is the Jacobite flag- would leave room for text above and below the box and possibly the club crest in the middle?

My link

There is a lot of debate and arguement about what the Jacobite flag was. The flag you link was believed to be the Standard of Prince Charlie and the one that was raised at Glenfinnan. However, the Jacobite emblem, which was around for a great many years before '45 is believed to have been a white rose, or cockade, on a red background. Sadly all standards displayed during the uprisings were destroyed bar one that is displayed in Dundee museum.

The remaining banner is a good one. All it needs is an eagle on it.

I take your point on board Alex.

However I recall seeing a flag many years ago which was, IIRC, red, blue and black squares - one square inside the other. It was this was this one which i was referring to. I can't find an image of it online though.

There's it! (To quote the Inverness song doing the rounds...)

Bit pink though in this picture. When I saw a replica it was a strong red. Much better than a Saltire just IMVHO. The Saltire is a flag I associate with the Lothians - not the Highlands.

Edited by Top Six Next Year

Its a pity they weren't better at designing flags in those days as we could have pinched the idea and used it.

Do we have to get drawn into the Jacobite thing, which had a lot more to do with religion than Scotland v England in fact it was the Scots who created the union (awaits red dots from thick people)

How about designing a CTO flag.

• Agree 1

Lion Rampant is worse than the Union Flag given the fact that it is owned by the Monarch and only ever flown as a token of loyalty to the crown.

And being loyal to the crown is bad because?

If you want a debate on that then please take it to a new thread in an appropriate forum.

What about the Iceland flag? It's pretty similar.

is.gif

Unionism and perceived religious connotations don't have a patch on the Icelandic and the way they brutally kill whales. I can hear the chants now... You only sing when you're whaling.

There's nothing wrong with the flag I posted. It has not political connotations and, if anything, expresses Highland identity. This was the flag raised apparently at Glenfinnian.

Edited by Top Six Next Year

Lion Rampant is worse than the Union Flag given the fact that it is owned by the Monarch and only ever flown as a token of loyalty to the crown.

And being loyal to the crown is bad because?

Who said it was bad?

I said it was worse and you need to take that in the context of the discussion. If the Union Flag is seen as a royalist symbol and you want to avoid that then using the Lion Rampant would be a worse idea.

You've reminded me of a rampant Lion I spotted in the wilderness that is Blair Drummond Safari Park five years ago. It mounted every Lioness in sight in a space of five minutes. Dirty beast. On this basis, the Lion Rampant flag - I'm out.