It'll never happen (unfortunately)

Gringo

As you say, it'll never happen. Perhaps they are trying to scare HMRC into going easy with them on this tax avoidance scheme investigation.

Got me thinking though, the pros and cons to having the OF in the SPL have been much debated over the years. But would having just one of them be the worst possible scenario?

They need each other. They market themselves on their 'history' and having one another is essential to do this. Hypothetically, if rangers do go bust, I would envisage celtic moving south. They could probably find an 'enemy' there (Chelsea perhaps?). At least it would leave the rest of us to enjoy our game in peace - and the possibility of ICT winning the SPL!

would be interesting to see what would happen if they did go into liquidation

did livi not get relegated to 3rd division for going bust?

not saying they would do it to them but the thought is making me chuckle

Never say never.

The bigger they are the harder they fall. One huge demand from His Majesties' Revenoors could bring the whole house of cards tumbling down.

I have mixed feelings as to whether or not I would welcome a move from both of them to England. For ICT they do seem to bring the the fans through the turnsmiles but is the odd game really worth it.

Their influence on the SPL clubs and hierarchy is so huge and pervasive that I tend to think that their impact on the whole scenario is overbearing and overburdening.And stifling.

Should they go,I am wondering if that would lift a good load off everybody's shoulders and spark a renaissance in the top echelon of Scottish Football. If it did, then the energy released would inevitably filter down through the lower divisions and the output of the players could be, hopefully, more honest.

'm'off :rolleyes:

:getmecoat:

i don't think they will go bust and hope they don't also, weather we like it or not we need the bigger teams to bring their travelling supporters with their money, also without the OF ESPN and sky would want nothing to do with scottish football and then we would loose out on a few bob every year

Unfortunately we need the OF in Scottish football despite the baggage they bring - you're only as good as the teams you play.

If the OF left the SPL, then the standard of Scottish football would plummet.

The OF in England would go from strength to strength thanks to the better quality of opposition and the large 50,000+ support that each brings.

Our loss would be their gain.

We don't need them. Crowds would return to the levels seen years ago.

FTOF

sorry but never heard so much mince in a long time, highlight of the season? hibs v hearts? ICT v dons

naw your'e just being daft, where would the money come from to bring in new players? cause the tv companies would'nt pay to watch that kind of football

im just hoping they dont go into administration this season lennon deserves nothing

why not?

i just dont like him or the way he conduct himself

you mean his passion for the game? just like Alex Ferguson, or what about Jock Brown and Mr Boyle fighting yesterday

There's a fine line between passion and stupidity. When he got Juanjo sent off, what passion! Getting a touchline ban against Hearts, what passion! Getting sent to the stand in a friendly against Athletic Bilbao, what passion! The guy's a liability and it's only a matter of time before he gets himself the sack IMO.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

There's a fine line between passion and stupidity. When he got Juanjo sent off, what passion! Getting a touchline ban against Hearts, what passion! Getting sent to the stand in a friendly against Athletic Bilbao, what passion! The guy's a liability and it's only a matter of time before he gets himself the sack IMO.

Passion like TB kicking in the door at celtic park when his team lost a game? passion like Alex Ferguson getting so worked up about refs he got a ban and a 30 grand fine? passion like the so called chosen one running down the touch line and hugging his players to celebrate a goal? passion like ally mc coist shouting at neil lennon after his team lost the latest scottish cup game at celtic park? i'd prefer it if we had the same passion at home games coming from the stands, why would he get the sack when he has brought in so many good players and has his team playing some good football. i for one don't buy into this anti neil lennon menality that has been going around scottish football for years, also i can't stand this idea that if a referee or assistant has a terrible game then our manager and other managers or players can't say so without being told off like naughty wee school boys.have none of our players done anything naughty? glass houses and stones, i'm sure you know the rest

Passion like TB kicking in the door at celtic park when his team lost a game? passion like Alex Ferguson getting so worked up about refs he got a ban and a 30 grand fine?

Don't condone that either.

passion like the so called chosen one running down the touch line and hugging his players to celebrate a goal?

Eh, bit of a difference in celebrating your team getting to the Champions League final and getting Juanjo sent off by blatant cheating.

passion like ally mc coist shouting at neil lennon after his team lost the latest scottish cup game at celtic park?

Another stupid thing to do. These are adults, not wee boys. And anyway, to me it looks like McCoist isn't shouting at all, more likely saying something about Diouf. It's Lennon who snaps and appears to say "hang on a second, he had a pop at me first".

why would he get the sack when he has brought in so many good players and has his team playing some good football.

Oh I don't know, maybe the fact that he's a wee ned who constantly gets himself in trouble and loses nearly every must win game. He'll get found out before too long. He doesn't exactly strike me as a particularly intelligent man at all, something that'll lead to his downfall in the future.

Passion like TB kicking in the door at celtic park when his team lost a game? passion like Alex Ferguson getting so worked up about refs he got a ban and a 30 grand fine?

Don't condone that either.

passion like the so called chosen one running down the touch line and hugging his players to celebrate a goal?

Eh, bit of a difference in celebrating your team getting to the Champions League final and getting Juanjo sent off by blatant cheating.

passion like ally mc coist shouting at neil lennon after his team lost the latest scottish cup game at celtic park?

Another stupid thing to do. These are adults, not wee boys. And anyway, to me it looks like McCoist isn't shouting at all, more likely saying something about Diouf. It's Lennon who snaps and appears to say "hang on a second, he had a pop at me first".

why would he get the sack when he has brought in so many good players and has his team playing some good football.

Oh I don't know, maybe the fact that he's a wee ned who constantly gets himself in trouble and loses nearly every must win game. He'll get found out before too long. He doesn't exactly strike me as a particularly intelligent man at all, something that'll lead to his downfall in the future.

so you know him now do you? a wee ned? and not very bright, you say he dived, he'll say he never who's right and who's wrong? he'll know a wee bit better than you eh?

as i said before i don't buy into this anti neil lennon bias that's been doing it's rounds since he was playing.

our fans booed him as well as most other teams in scotland and that was shocking IMO

• Disagree 6

so you know him now do you? a wee ned?

"Squaring up" the some ICT fans outside Pittodrie and having to be dragged back onto the bus by Bobo Balde! Says it all.

and not very bright, you say he dived, he'll say he never who's right and who's wrong? he'll know a wee bit better than you eh?

You tell me -

as i said before i don't buy into this anti neil lennon bias that's been doing it's rounds since he was playing.

our fans booed him as well as most other teams in scotland and that was shocking IMO

I wonder why -

• Agree 4

We don't need them. Crowds would return to the levels seen years ago.

FTOF

sorry but never heard so much mince in a long time, highlight of the season? hibs v hearts? ICT v dons

naw your'e just being daft, where would the money come from to bring in new players? cause the tv companies would'nt pay to watch that kind of football

I can think for myself, you on the other hand..... :thumbdown:

• Disagree 1

The OF aren't the financial lifeblood that they are portrayed to be. Much of the additional income from increased crowds they bring to games is lost in the need for additional stewarding, police etc....plus it's been a while since they actually sold out their entire allocation anyway.

TV interest/income without the OF? Since they take the lions share of that income anyway, we could afford to a sizeable drop in what TV companies pay for the rights before it starts impacting on the income of the other 10 clubs, so this argument is a bit of a red herring.

Many of the rules/regulations and many of the issues in the way the game is run to protect the top teams would be lost. The vast majority of the bad press we get from the sectarian issues would disappear. The league would be more competitive/interesting and as a result would attract more spectators. You wouldn't have the OF influence being pressed on the younger generations across Scotland which would lead to more kids growing up to follow their local teams.

The rest of Scottish football would be allowed to breathe and that could only be good for the game in the long term.

• Agree 1