Pitch Inspection***GAME OFF***

L_G

According to the Celtic website ....... Fans must come first !!!!

http://www.celticfc.net/newsstory?item=891

The article is typical platitudes and spin, but I do agree with some of it.

"It is the second time this season that a Celtic match at the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium has been called off, and Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell believes that it is now time to put fans first when it comes to setting the kick-off times of these fixtures."

Totally agree. We think we are hard done by, but fans of the OF have even less chance to plan their footy for the year - most of their games are TV games and most are moved to weird times. I do have some sympathy for them but to Mr Lawwell I would say this ..... YOU decided that TV was more important than the fans and YOU can change that.

?Inverness are a great community club and George Fraser, Graeme Bennett and the rest of the board always make us and our supporters feel very welcome, so it is a difficult situation, but clearly there is something wrong with the drainage of the pitch here,? the Chief Executive told the official Celtic website.

Apart from the fact that Tommy will now boot your arse when he sees you, you are correct. There is indeedsomething wrong with our drainage. Its called the bullshit we had to go through to install under soil heating, a Premier League requirement that your mob had a hand in deciding upon. How many games were cancelled at the TCS because of the pitch itself PRIOR to under soil heating ? I believe it was ONE ! I rest my case.

?Clearly something is wrong with the drainage of the pitch, when the rain doesn?t start till the early hours of the morning, and then with eight hours of rain the game is called off. I know it's something the groundstaff at Inverness are already looking at. ?This is the beginning of April and we?re still getting games called off, and in top-flight Scottish football, some overnight rain shouldn?t cause a match to be called off.?

See answer above !!! Its because of the USH !!! If you let teams have 'adequate pitch protection' instead of the one-size fits all (or doesnt) golden goose that is USH then it would not be an issue. The TCS pitch was designed with a specific camber that not only supported wing play from the players but also allowed water to drain effectively and the proximity to the sea water also tended to prevent the worst of the elements from freezing it. Our pitch and its drainage was only ruined by following SPL rules !

[/rant over]

• Agree 2

If game was on Thur 14th April would they move the game on Sat 16th v Hearts to Sunday??

Thats a good point and if there was money in it from tv I cant see Hearts saying no but helping out a fellow club should be suffice, if we can get a tv slot it would certainly bridge the gap in lost revenue from the Celtic cup game.

Well, I am up sitting at the comoputer here in Vancouver and it is just past 4a.m. Och, I'm away back to bed fer goodness sake.

Obviously no one can predict such conditions except I can't but wonder why the drainage is so poor since surely ensuring that it was able to contain and dissipate adverse water conditions should have been a priority before/at installation of the undersoil heating?

Knowing that weather can result in cancellation of this fixture why could it not be advanced to 3 p.m.or played tomorrow?I am sure Celtic would be very happy to hear that kind of news. After all, what money do they get out of it apart from the T.V. that is? Just asking like.

My point really is.... does this come as a catastrophic surprise to the club? More importantly,is the club willing to spend more money in somehow improving the drainage at this time? Not for this season that's for sure. :yellowcard:

Couldn't believe it when I heard the game was off today. Have to agree with the Celtic fans 100% on this one, no point in defending the indefensible. If the roles were reversed we would be saying exactly the same things. This is an absolute JOKE. Thousands of fans inconvenienced, out of pocket and time wasted. TV money lost. Celtic fans threatening to boycott away games with ICT in the future. All because we are apparently incapable of dealing with a bit of overnight rain in April. Either we get the drainage system sorted or invest in a simple pitch cover which would prevent this happening again. The groundsman is against pitch covers? I don't care. I'd rather have an imperfect pitch which is PLAYABLE, than a perfect pitch which is always UNPLAYABLE whenever it snows or rains. End of rant.

• Agree 2

Each time a game is called off due to rain the reason given is that the pitch could not be spiked due to undersoil heating, not the groundmans fault etc.

If the club and the groundsman know what the problem is then why can they not work out the solution. Correct me if I'm wrong but Tommy was the groundsman when the undersoil heating was installed in the pitch, should it not have been realised then that there would be a potential problem with drainage.

We were certainly not the first club in the country to have undersoiled heating installed, someone did not do their homework regarding drainage.

There wasn't even that much rain! Total rajing ! Jog on!

It was a full on Monsoon for a time - rain woke me up a couple of times, around 6ish it was insane, the noise the rain was making bouncing off the roof was something else. Turned to snow for a while on the hills though so time to get the skis out and head to the hills instead!

Undersoil heating installation has surely caused far more postponements than it's prevented???

Get rid off your tin roof and you wont hear the rain

How about all those people who say we should buy more weather protection put their hands in their pockets and donate it to the club seeing as you get so annoyed by it all? Its all well and good saying this shouldnt have happened but unitl a suitable solution is found all this thread is, is moaning!!!! Yeh its a pain but things happen so frankly man up and get on with it

• Disagree 1

How about all those people who say we should buy more weather protection put their hands in their pockets and donate it to the club seeing as you get so annoyed by it all? Its all well and good saying this shouldnt have happened but unitl a suitable solution is found all this thread is, is moaning!!!! Yeh its a pain but things happen so frankly man up and get on with it

Don't be ridiculous. You seem to be quite content that our club are literally throwing money down the drain. It is a pain, a huge pain, but there are ways to avoid this pain and the loss of income, it's in the clubs interest to get these games played, especially the televised ones, although this one may still be televised, there's no guarantee. Also, as has been said above, why not put the game back until later in the day, after all other spl matches have been played, surely that is less of an inconvenience than having to travel the distance again for an evening game, given the forecast for the rest of today is sunny intervals. That ball is firmly in the SPL/SFA court?

Man up, what about the women. Meh.

• Agree 1

It is very bad for a postponment to happen this late. If they weren't all such trampy minks, you'd feel sorry for the Celtic fans.

I have to ask - was the pitch that bad? I think we postpone games all too easily these days. Also, as I understand it undersoil heating has problems with regards to drainage yet it's a requirement from the SPL to play in this league. You don't need to have it to play in the premiership, another winner thought up by our doltish ruling bodies.

Edited by ictchris

Contractual obligations to tv companies.

While I sympathise with the away fans (lies), I find it gratifying that an old firm team has been inconvenienced. Andy Muirhead? What a grade A **nt.

I dont think you should be calling Andy Muirhead a grade a **nt as I feel this would be defamatory to grade A **nts.

Doing a spell check, Muirhead was highlighted and gave me the chance to Ignore or Change, out of the suggestions I cant quited decide if airhead or misread is more apt. Andy Airhead has got a kind of ring to it, right enuff

An inch of rain came down in a few hours in Inverness - that is pretty intense rainfall. Somewhere in the region of 220,000 litres of water dumped on the pitch. However the fact remains the problem is one of the most weather resistant pitches in the land was ruined by installation of under soil heating required by a one size fits all rule with no regards of circumstances or consequences.

Clubs a joke ashamed to even call myself a fan

yeah - u would think they would be able to control the weather wouldn't u?

The club is NOT a joke and I am always PROUD to let everyone know I am a Caley Thistle fan.

i'm afraid we are a joke, the pitch should have been covered, are we the new Motherwell?

I totally agree, the club has been shown up twice against the offended. What will become of us if the rearranged fixture were to be postponed?

The club must act and act now! Nothing less than a new sliding roof will placate me. Pure ragin' so wus ur!

Gerrit O'Pya

I am absolutely astounded that no one from the SPL was available when both ICT and Celtic tried to contact them having come to an agreement to put the game back to a 13:00hrs kick-off, not that I know the ins and outs of the possibilties of doing this but surely it was one since both clubs tried this route.

For the SPL not to have a representative available on a weekend where a full card takes place is ridiculous, no business runs over their busiest time without having someone on duty and now no one knows if it was possible to put the game back for this reason. It just highlights the massive issues that our football organisations have that need sorted out from the core.

As for Lawells comments, I have already posted in regards to his mouth and what comes out of it so I'm not prepared to waste anymore of my time.

Next thing will be it's a conspiracy.