Eggstraordinary.

Wandering through the supermarket the other day, I noticed that a Cadbury's Cream Egg now costs ten shillings! Funny how if you say it that way, you instantly apply pre 1971 price values and the £sd equivalent of 50p seems a lot of money. But it's now 10 bob for a Cream Egg which you could get in Christison's shop in Dalneigh when they first came out for sixpence. Mind you, these were the days when a kid could get into the Caley Park for 9d.

Applying a Cream Egg inflation factor of x20, it's difficult to see anyone getting into the TCS.... or even a Highland League ground.... for 15 shillings or 75p!

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Some things haven't changed though. Take the price of colour tellys for example.

Of course kids sometimes get into the TCS free now. Don't remember that at Telford Street!

10 shillings was a lot of money in 1970, the receipt of which had a similar impact on a 12-year-old as probably a tenner would have today, which is consistent with Charles's Cream Egg Inflation factor.

Of course kids sometimes get into the TCS free now. Don't remember that at Telford Street!

Well I do!!! We used to come down Balnacraig Road before it was metalled and certainly before it was blocked off for old folks' houses and "jupe" over the back gate on the left side of the Howden End to save the ninepence to get in.

All the Dalneigh boys used to do it. I still have great crack with Mike Shewan about these days in the early - mid 60s.

Better still, you could then pick up a couple of bobs' worth of MacKintosh's lemonade empties about the place which you could trade in at the shop and get enough to get you some Smiths crisps with the blue salt packs in and Cow Toffee as well as pay you into the front stalls at the Playhouse the following Saturday when Caley were away.

And come to think of it... the Cream Eggs you used to get for a tanner WERE a whole lot bigger than the ones you get for ten bob today!

Edited by Charles Bannerman

• 1 month later...

My first Caley season ticket was for 70-71. Cost...a princely 7/6! Still have it.

That's a considerable saving and an amazing bargain! I am assuming that this was a "juvenile" one. I do know that in 1965 a juvenile paid 9d to get in (unless you jooped over the gate as we Dalneighers did!) I think there were 16 teams in the league at that time meaning 15 home games. So in 1965 it would have cost 11s 3d to get into all the home games so 7s 6d five years later for a season ticket seems like a brilliant bargain.

• 3 weeks later...

Those were the days! My first 8 pints of lager in the Gellions back bar cost me ?1 or Light at 1/10 a pint. Saturday night at the Caley Ballroom with Drew Ross and Beans 10bob. Yes a great night out for ?1.50

Those were the days! My first 8 pints of lager in the Gellions back bar cost me ?1 or Light at 1/10 a pint. Saturday night at the Caley Ballroom with Drew Ross and Beans 10bob. Yes a great night out for ?1.50

Aye... the back bar of the Gelluns! I was in there on Friday night as it happens. You'll not get a pint for half a crown any more mind you! Back in 1970 or 71 you could get a pint of lager in the Lochgorm beside the old Mart for 2/4d. I never really took to Light.

It was a culture shock when I went into a hotel in Bayswater in London in the summer of 1970 and it was 5/6d for lager!

• 3 weeks later...