Hibs releases, possible signings?

SuperCaley94

After Reading yesterdays Daily Record, 6 Hibernian stars have been told that they will leave in the summer including Caley Legend John Rankin, ex-loanee Kevin McCann, Colin Nish, Darryl Duffy, Graeme Smith and Kevin McBride.

Is there the possibility of bringing some of these faces to the Caledonian staduim? ictscarf.gif

Edited by SuperCaley94

I'd have McCann back like a shot...if we could keep him fit. But he's just too injury prone. I'd happily re-sign Rankin too, but I think he might stay in the central belt.

We don't need Graeme Smith, we're already blessed in the goalkeeping department.

Colin Nish always seems to give us a problem when he plays against us; at the moment his confidence is low and the question is whether we could get him back to the form he showed at Killie a few years back. Having a target man like him on the books would be no bad thing though.

I've no interest in McBride, who I always thought was a pretty average player, but I note he used to play for TB at Motherwell, so perhaps Terry might know how to get the best out of him?

As for Duffy, I don't know much about him - played in League One for a few years, and has barely been used by Hibs this season.

Definitely Colin Nish. His confidence is completely drained but he came to Hibs a very good player. I'd fancy a spot of ICT magic would have him there again.

Rankin as well would be very welcome, especially with Doran away and a chance Hayes won't be here. Naturally, we might re-sign both of these players (I know Hayes still has a year) but I'm expecting at least one to leave - possibly both.

McBride was a decent player. Probably would add to the squad, especially if Duncan is allowed to leave. Wouldn't want to burst the bank on him but think he'd do a steady turn.

Not too bothered about McCann. He'd do a shift, so wouldn't be upset at him coming back, but neither disappointed if he didn't. Can't recall ever seeing Duffy play but he came to Hibs as something of a prospect (replacement for Stokes) only to injure himself straight away. I'll leave that to wiser heads.

Don't need Smith as long as our keepers both stay.

Rankin was great at ICT and like many who come up here will be in need of a new lease of life. We also miss a midfielder of his qualities. He was great at getting forward and was a dangerous set piece taker. I'd have him back in a flash.

Nish for me could be someone worth looking at too. As mentioned he was always a handful against us and is in need of a fresh start too.

• Agree 2

Darryl Duffy is a decent player with a good scoring record at various levels, he hasnt produced at Hibs this year due to injuries & falling out of favour, but I think he would deffinately do a job for us if we keep him fit.

Colin Nish can score goals but even from his Killie days is too inconsistent and do we need that hen we have Odiambo who is a very similar type of player IMO.

John Rankin would be a good addition and provide coverage n the middle of the park, certainly would give more depth & options.

Not sure any of the rest are worthwhile going after, if the HIbs players were that good then they wouldnt be in a team below us in the league.

Colin Nish can score goals but even from his Killie days is too inconsistent and do we need that hen we have Odiambo who is a very similar type of player IMO.

Quite a different kind of player though. Nish is over 6', with a not bad turn of speed and touch for a big man.

Not sure any of the rest are worthwhile going after, if the HIbs players were that good then they wouldnt be in a team below us in the league.

Seems to make sense but it just doesn't work like that. Many of these players were also regular top six players too. The fall of Hibs from such a terrific team Hughes had started to assemble is so disappointing. I wrote an article some time ago here. At the time, the club could boast a team containing Riordan, Miller, Stokes, Benji, Zemamma, Nish, Bamba, Hogg, Murray and Rankin. Unfortunately, a return to long-ball tactics and a lack of fairly minor investment meant the club went on a downward spiral. I really think a modest investment in a couple of players (a centre-back and Ian Black or another terrier in midfield) could have made them something special.

I doubt very much if Rankin would view coming back to ICT as a step up. After getting the taste of a "bigger" team I feel he may start to fancy his little barrow just a tad too much.

Mind you , being "released " from the Hibs must be quite a sobering experience too so...who knows?

Hibs have been brutal this season for the most part. Should the club really be looking at their cast-offs?

Yes, we always take cast-offs and most of the time they work out. Darren Dods and Craig Dargo spring to mind but more recently Hogg has came in from Hibs and i would say he has been a good addition.

Hibs have been brutal this season for the most part. Should the club really be looking at their cast-offs?

Yes, we always take cast-offs and most of the time they work out. Darren Dods and Craig Dargo spring to mind but more recently Hogg has came in from Hibs and i would say he has been a good addition.

Agree ICT Paisley I think our club is very successful at offering cast offs a second (or even third chance) Richie Foran for one.

Foran, Hayes, Duff, Hogg, Black, Morais, Cox, Esson, Dargo, could go back as far as the likes of Wyness. We are great at getting these players sorted out.

• Agree 1

I was thinking that myself. A pay-as-you-play or stringent medical might be in order. Young, as well, might be a pretty useful utility player. Wouldn't want to break the bank on him but with potentially so few players, someone that can play reasonably well, if not a world-beater, might come in handy in the depths of next season.