'Fans' at Aberdeen match

I'm sorry but how can you be ashamed at us? we get picked on by stewards week in week out for standing up. at least we bring a bit of atmosphere to the games! i like to jump about and have a good time at football, is that such a crime? and if your view of having a good time is to sit with a bag of 'weathers originals' and sit in silence so be it, but don't be ashamed at us for getting behind our team and creating a bit of noise.

@CaleyD "but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed an opinion, and it doesn't mean I'm not sick to the back teeth of the same few going out of their way to be troublesome and who get a rise out of winding up the Stewards"

I've never seen anyone go to a Caley game and go out of their way to be troublesome or to wind up stewards! we are there to support our team same as you are. stewards treat us like scum and by the looks of things you see us as scum. If your sick to the back teeth of us, why do you keep turning up and complaining? Its a lot of money for an away trip, why would we go just to wind up stewards?

Edited by Jaggie994

I suspect I may be wasting my breath, but you're totally missing the point.

You've said it yourself, you like to jump about...the rules say you are not allowed. Whether you agree with the rules or not, if you are asked to stop and you refuse and/or give back chat then you are antagonising the situation and you CAN NOT WIN that argument in that situation. It doesn't matter how many other people are standing, where they are standing or who they support....you are in the wrong and the fact they are also in the wrong and just so happen to be getting away with it does not suddenly make you right. It might not be fair, but lots of things in life are like that and maybe with age you'll come to realise it.

Like it or not, we live in a society governed by rules and regulations...and there's plenty of them which people do not agree with. If you choose to fight that by going out of your way to break the rules to make your point then you have to accept the consequences and, when your breaking of the rules starts to impact on others you have to accept the criticism that comes from that as well.

I've not once said I agree with the rules or the actions of the stewards, what I am saying is that your actions should not be allowed to spoil things for others. When stewards are wading in because you are not adhering to the rules (you have admitted you don't) then that interferes with the enjoyment of the game for others....what gives you that right? Have you even stopped for so much as a second to consider other people or is it a simple case of "we're enjoying ourselves, screw everyone else"? I bet you're the kind of person that likes to play music full blast at all hours of the day and are of the opinion that if the neighbours don't like it then they should move?

I'll quite happily back any campaign to get rid of the "you must sit" rule, and I have (and will again) go to bat for anyone I think has been unjustly treated. What I won't do is give any backing to those such as yourself who think they can do as they please with impunity...regardless of whether I agree with the rules being breached or not.

I don't want to see you guys being ejected or banned from games, but if your actions are causing problems and spoiling things for others then I'd rather see you turfed than them stop attending games.

I'm all for creating atmosphere, I'm all for having a bit of craic and I don't even mind the swearing or slightly tasteless songs/chants (within reason)....I have/do partake of such things myself at games. I'll stand at games when/where I think I can get away with it, but if asked to sit then I do so....not because I think I should, but because I know trying to argue is a fruitless task.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours. But please not have the "poor wee innocents" routine, especially not when you've openly admitted to breaking the rules and being of the opinion that if others don't like it then it's their tough.

• Agree 2

we get picked on by stewards week in week out for standing up. at least we bring a bit of atmosphere to the games! i like to jump about and have a good time at football, is that such a crime? and if your view of having a good time is to sit with a bag of 'weathers originals' and sit in silence so be it, but don't be ashamed at us for getting behind our team and creating a bit of noise.

The bit I just highlighted is the problem .... no point having a go at anyone else for stating an opinion. The plain and simple fact is that the powers that be, most of whom have never stood on a terrace in their lives have deemed that standing is not allowed and when you "get picked on" for standing up, its because the stewards are applying the stadium rules - ludicrous and ridiculous though they may be.

Much like referees, stewards are also not consistent, treating home/away fans differently, or being more officious with smaller supports while leaving the green and blue hordes to do as they please .... its not right, and its very frustrating, but I am afraid you just have to suck it up because regardless of anything else, what you are trying to do is against the rules and you will not win the argument by defying those rules or making excuses about inconsistent treatment. Get militant with them, and they will just give the same back tenfold. Been there, done that, got the bruises and scars to show for it.

You want to make that better? You need to change tactics, and (for some) stop trotting out the excuse that "they are allowed to do it". Many stewards (not all) love the power trip, and its a lot easier to pick on a small support, and the younger members of that support when they want to feel like a big man .... equally, if you give them dogs abuse back, or disrespect the decent stewards then there is only ever going to be one winner .... and thats not you. You perhaps need to pay heed to where/how you can push the limits and where you might need to take a step back if you know certain stewards will be assholes.

You also need to try and change it from within !!! The Safe Standing campaign has gained ground in recent years, and the introduction of safe standing areas in German grounds is a good focus to show it can be done, and it can be done safely .... you just have to keep pushing.

I cannot and will not slag off any of the people attending games given that I manage maybe 1 or 2 a year on a trip home if I am lucky ... however, I will note that compared to my bi-weekly fix of footie at Toronto FC, where standing is encouraged (even mandated) in certain sections, and used by the club for the last 5 years to "sell the atmosphere" of the club, on my last trip home I was pretty shocked at how 'docile' we had become and disheartened by the explanation that it was because of this rule and that rule .... its no longer about allowing people to enjoy themselves, its about petty rules and 'concerns'. Thats not football !!! But to change it for the better, it needs to be somewhat collaborative because those in charge have shown time and time again, that when presented with confrontation they will go ten times further in the other direction !!!!

• Agree 2

I'm sorry but how can you be ashamed at us? we get picked on by stewards week in week out for standing up. at least we bring a bit of atmosphere to the games! i like to jump about and have a good time at football, is that such a crime? and if your view of having a good time is to sit with a bag of 'weathers originals' and sit in silence so be it, but don't be ashamed at us for getting behind our team and creating a bit of noise.

Jaggie994 I have to agree with the point that CaleyD is making and agree that I think the crux of his argument is being missed. Did you read my post near the beginning of the thread where I stated that I get behind the team just as much as others if not more and have never had trouble in all the years I have been going to nay football games and never been singled out by stewards. I would argue with anyone that they shout louder or jump up more than I do, I'm sure TB and MM heard me shouting on Saturday and they were nearly 100 yards away.

The difference with me is that I sit away from the crowd and therefore am not seen as 'one of the lads' or one of 'that group' who the stewards continually speak to. Now I am not saying that being in the group or area of the group should cause problems but it clearly does and nor am I saying that the group or crowd cause all the problems but i think they aggrivate the situation.

I do sympathise at times with guys on here who post about why they have been ejected and for some of the petty reasons for why they have been ejected but it's like I have said get a little street wise. On the whole those that are ejected are in the large group that the stewards focus on.

As for Govan Jaggie yes your case is ridiculous and I would be taking that up with the club as well as with Aberdeen direct and continue until you get an answer from them.

In terms of stewards they are glorified door men and have no right or legal right to lay one finger on you including pulling you from your seat or the ground, for this you can easily have them charged with assault or at least a complaint made to the police no matter how much they or the police may tell you that you cannot. A simple word of warning to them that if they lay a finger on you you will report them or you will defend yourself as you feel threatened should be enough to deter them for fear of a complaint or their job. This piece of advice was given to me by a police officer. If the police at the ground don't take you seriously go to a police station where they will.

Edited by MrCaleyjag

The 'standing up' rule only applies to certain people with the stewards.....when have you ever seen the whole section of those standing, getting ejected? and tbh i think the majority of our fans dont make the effort to create an atmosphere! and then at the end of the day you all come on here and complain about us! not once have you come up to those, 'rule breakers' and made a complaint about our actions, i come onto this forum regularly because all you do is bitch behind our backs and this topic is a prime example.

at the end of the day you all come on here and complain about us!

i come onto this forum regularly because all you do is bitch behind our backs and this topic is a prime example.

on the first point .... not true. yes some users of this site might bitch about you if/when you have done something they didnt like ... in the same way they bitch about performances, about the board, about the moderators, about CaleyD's shirts when he was the announcer and a thousand other things .... what you fail to mention is that the group that make up the "us" you speak of have also had plenty of support in the past when you have felt victimised and the site users have agreed with you, or even the comments about how "section G was pretty good today" which I recall reading on more than one occasion.

on the second point .... please explain to me how anything posted here is behind your backs? You can read the topic, its out in the open for all to see (whether logged in or not) and its also quite permissible for you to register and argue your own point which is exactly what you have done today ...

If you re-read my own post on the matter, I am not bitching about you, I am not calling you out about behaviour (because I obviously wasnt there), and I am agreeing with you that the rules are a farce and should be changed ... all I am guilty of doing is suggesting to you that you might want to employ some strategy in how and when you bend, push or even break the rules .... so if that is bitching about you ... guilty as charged !!! Otherwise, what you are typing is displaying the classic signs of paranoia and I am sure IHE - who has not only pushed the envelope, but has posted it and had it delivered when it comes to the rules - will be along to offer the benefit of his professional and supporter experiences !!!

yes but ive never heard a complaint at a game from any fan face to face, never seen a single fan approach anyone they are not happy about, you come on here cause you can hide behind your laptop on an internet forum. i agree that when standing i am breaking the rules. But certain individuals get targeted and ejected for getting behind the team. if everyone stood and created a fair bit of atmosphere the stewards would not touch us.

yes but ive never heard a complaint at a game from any fan face to face, never seen a single fan approach anyone they are not happy about, you come on here cause you can hide behind your laptop on an internet forum. i agree that when standing i am breaking the rules. But certain individuals get targeted and ejected for getting behind the team. if everyone stood and created a fair bit of atmosphere the stewards would not touch us.

Scotty's right here. It's not as if anythings hidden on the this forum and even us old guys are permitted to hold different pints of view - just because I don't agree with Caley D on this one doesn't mean that I dislike him. I might not get the chance to bring it up with him at a game because that's what I'm there to watch. I can, however discuss it here to my hearts content. As for everyone standing, er, no. What would happen is that we would be ejected en masse because we don't have sufficient numbers to act in the same manner as the OF. And even if we could, would we want to?

you come on here cause you can hide behind your laptop on an internet forum.

I personally have never hidden behind any of the laptops (or desktops) I have used on this site (or any other site) over the years and if I had a problem with your actions or those of the group, you would know about it. I am normally very diplomatic, but I am also forthright.

I did exactly that with one person at Toronto FC who stands about 10 feet away from me. At MLS games, the national anthems of Canada and USA are played before the games. He would sing the Canadian one normally and then do a high pitched pisstake on the USA one. I am not American, not really pro-American, but to do that to any anthem is disrespectful so I told him that "politely" and asked him to stop doing it. He has never done it again and no grudges are held (not by me anyway).

It is true that there are some users on here who prefer to remain anonymous, and thats fine, they can do that, its their choice.

However, I would say that the vast majority of users on here ... especially the ones who post a lot, which is who I presume you are meaning, do so in the knowledge that most of them know each other and can identify the username to the face. Most have a pseudonym they use here, and that is entirely different than hiding behind a keyboard ...

Jaggie994 I have to agree with the point that CaleyD is making and agree that I think the crux of his argument is being missed. Did you read my post near the beginning of the thread where I stated that I get behind the team just as much as others if not more and have never had trouble in all the years I have been going to nay football games and never been singled out by stewards. I would argue with anyone that they shout louder or jump up more than I do, I'm sure TB and MM heard me shouting on Saturday and they were nearly 100 yards away.

The difference with me is that I sit away from the crowd and therefore am not seen as 'one of the lads' or one of 'that group' who the stewards continually speak to. Now I am not saying that being in the group or area of the group should cause problems but it clearly does and nor am I saying that the group or crowd cause all the problems but i think they aggrivate the situation.

I do sympathise at times with guys on here who post about why they have been ejected and for some of the petty reasons for why they have been ejected but it's like I have said get a little street wise. On the whole those that are ejected are in the large group that the stewards focus on.

As for Govan Jaggie yes your case is ridiculous and I would be taking that up with the club as well as with Aberdeen direct and continue until you get an answer from them.

In terms of stewards they are glorified door men and have no right or legal right to lay one finger on you including pulling you from your seat or the ground, for this you can easily have them charged with assault or at least a complaint made to the police no matter how much they or the police may tell you that you cannot. A simple word of warning to them that if they lay a finger on you you will report them or you will defend yourself as you feel threatened should be enough to deter them for fear of a complaint or their job. This piece of advice was given to me by a police officer. If the police at the ground don't take you seriously go to a police station where they will.

There were NO police wirhin the stadium on saturday and despite asking for the police, stewards did remove folk using force - fact.

Edited by old caley girl

I'm the wee guy on the left...feel free to come and say hi any time you like.

post-3-0-34693200-1304632523_thumb.jpg

• Agree 2

Scotty's right here. It's not as if anythings hidden on the this forum and even us old guys are permitted to hold different pints of view - just because I don't agree with Caley D on this one doesn't mean that I dislike him. I might not get the chance to bring it up with him at a game because that's what I'm there to watch. I can, however discuss it here to my hearts content. As for everyone standing, er, no. What would happen is that we would be ejected en masse because we don't have sufficient numbers to act in the same manner as the OF. And even if we could, would we want to?

Mines a Guiness, thanks for the offer!!!

You're spot on Davie, I've had my share (some may say more than my share) of disagreements with people over the years and, with one exception, I'd still happily spend time in the company of these people, partake in some serious chat and still hope to get the craic with them as well.

Phew!! I,m so glad that's over. :tongue:

Still, pneumatic tires can't last forever and they always burst eventually.

Caley D --I am going to be nice to you from now on. YOU ARE SOO BIG AND HANDSOME, bUT....How do you get into yer bus, man? :rotflmao: