GRANT MUST STAY !

Fanoffooty

AYE!!! as said above, the team was missing some of our newer STARs and i for one thought it was going to go against us but it proves we are not a Foran / Hayes / Duncan Team.

I still Beleve but hope that this is resolved, i was very touched by GM's after game interview, he looked emotinal.

• Agree 1

Terry Butcher in the Daily Record:

"We'll have a look again at Grant Munro's situation and he certainly didn't do himself any harm tonight.

"Every player here is playing for their future, contracted or not.

"Grant responded in the right way, the correct way and a magnificent way."

I say AYE!

TB mentioned that, whether being serious or not, Grants performance gave him food for thought. He might perform a U-turn. It's possible. Terrys post match BBC interview

A few drinks and he might call the chairman to get his a new deal. We need some seniors like him and Tokely. Both ICT men.

I dont want to lose Duncan either but if I had tae pick wan, just wan and af'er that performance, Munro would get ma vote.

I dont think any decision should ever be cut and dried.

Edited by iamthecaptain1

Appreciate this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but here goes.....

The problem is, Butcher can't go sacking players every week in order to get the best out of them....we'd need to start the season with a squad of 400 players for that plan to work.

It's one thing to go out and deliver your best game when there's no pressure on you because you think your off or because you're angry at the decision and want to prove a point, but that kind of inspiration isn't going to exist before every game. It's also easy to shine when all around are doing the same and the result last night was a team effort and not down to any single man.

I may not agree with the decision to release Munro, but I also fail to see what happened in last nights game that would give Butcher justification for changing it. Ok, so Munro showed a bit of character, remained professional and bagged a goal. Nothing new in that and, in the grand scheme of things, nothing has changed. The last thing we need is to develop/encourage a system where players think that all the need to do is play well in a game or two towards the end of the season to earn a contract.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Im with Caley D on this one. Great servant to the club, no-one can deny that and he deserved man of the match last night, terrific goal and led by example. But this was different to the Grant Munro that played at Pittodrie on Saturday where he was poor.

I think Butcher should make a desicion and stick to it rather than dangling carrots

''Ok, so Munro showed a bit of character, remained professional and bagged a goal. ''

is that not exactly why we should keep him? he is a model to the younger players and inverness through and through. not sure i could see foran doing that in such a situation. be madness to let a player like that go!

So thats a big AYE! from me

''Ok, so Munro showed a bit of character, remained professional and bagged a goal. ''

is that not exactly why we should keep him? he is a model to the younger players and inverness through and through. not sure i could see foran doing that in such a situation. be madness to let a player like that go!

As I said, nothing new in seeing Munro do that. However, if it wasn't enough to earn him a contract before last night then why should it be enough to earn him a new contract this morning? It could, and has been, fairly argued that the decision to release him should never have been made in the first place (and I would agree), but to expect that decision to change on the outcome of one game is, IMO, folly.

I think Butcher should make a desicion and stick to it rather than dangling carrots

I dont for one minute think this is a carrot or was ever intended as one. Do you not think its more likely that TB made what he genuinely thought was the desicion but he immediatly realizes theres quite a lot of reaction against it from fans and so on when its made public. Then this is stoked up even further such as on this forum and by Grants goal and great performance so hes maybe wondering if a change of heart might actually be a decent idea. Also who knows what the reaction has been within the club.

Sounds a bit like soft-hearted me trying to tell a farmer pal that he shouldn't be selling a cow which is costing money to feed, but is only producing calves every third or fourth AI try compared to the others, just because she is the lead cow of the herd and is a good influence on the others. :blush:

I say let TB manage as he sees fit.

We don't know how close that decision was. What seems to have happened:

• Munro is told he wants to be kept around 3 weeks ago
  • Butcher is scathing about the Aberdeen performance and says firing players will be easier
  • Munro is told he can leave

So, isn't is just as likely that Butcher made his decision to terminate over a poor game, rather than a contribution over the whole season, during which Munro has played as a full-back and as a central defender. A mainstay, chipping in with a decent amount of goals, of potentially ICT's best ever season.

Possibly, it's the letting go that's the hasty decision, that Butcher might well repent in leisure. Takes a big man to say he's made a mistake but, as I've said before, I'd fancy Aberdeen, St J or some other competitor to come in for a proven SPL defender. Let's keep him. I sincerely doubt we'll find better.

As I said, nothing new in seeing Munro do that. However, if it wasn't enough to earn him a contract before last night then why should it be enough to earn him a new contract this morning? It could, and has been, fairly argued that the decision to release him should never have been made in the first place (and I would agree), but to expect that decision to change on the outcome of one game is, IMO, folly.

It might not be enough to earn him a new contract on his own but it might make the gaffer think again. Has he been too hasty perhaps? Where it may be common for a player to show professionalism, it's maybe not so after being told your 13 year stay is coming to an end two days before a game. Granted you cant do it for every player but you are allowed to change your mind or make exceptions.

Munro thoroughly deserved MOTM last night, no nonsense defending and a clinical finish. Seems to score so often against them lot. :)

Think the decision to release him may be too premature, he's our best defender IMO and is what ICT are all about. Like this club he has come up through the ranks starting off as a newbie and growing to be an established part of the furniture in the SPL. Grant Munro needs to be signed on or it is a huge mistake. Not just for last nights performance but for what he has done for this club.

I'm trying to remember, do we have any examples of a player being told they are leaving but the club then doing a u-turn?

There are certainly examples of players being out of contention, or farmed out on loan, but then battling their way back into the managers plans, but I'm not sure if anyone has been publicly released and then offered another contract.

If I remember correctly not so long ago Wayne'granny lover' Rooney said he was leaving man utd, a week later he signed a new deal and all was forgotten. I don't see how a similar situation albeit from the managers perspective could happen here. Would be great to see a u turn not just from last nights performance but from the fans reaction and support of a great club player!