Duncan's red card

12th Man

Cannot understand how the stand side lineman who throughout the entire game couldn't make a decision as to whether the ball was out and to which side the throw was for, suddenly give a decision to red card russel, then blananty ignore two very obvious hand balls by the midden in the box. conspricay or just the usual

Just seen the BBC highlights. Should have been a penalty and should NOT have been a red. A booking for both as they shoved each other. but one literally is as bad apart from when Mair fakes getting KO'd.

Defnitely grounds for an appeal.

Edited by ajsict92

Stonewall red card, Pedz threw a punch....had to walk unfortunately!!!

The highlights confirm that this must have been an invisible punch. It appears all Russell did was bump his body into Mair.

As previously stated, a yellow card. I suspect an appeal would be successful.

Unfortunately Russell's career has been plagued by occasional immaturity. Both he and Mair were born in Aberdeen in late 1980 so probably know one another well. I cannot defend his immaturity but he was far from violent. In this season of whinging by Lennon and other issues surrounding respect for referees, it would be great if either Russell's red card was rescinded or Mair convicted by TV evidence of childishly getting a fellow professional sent off. It would be an amazing act of humility if Inverness gambled ?1,000 for an appeal on a player who is not critical for the last two games but who has been a great servant to the club. That and the offer of a new contract for Grant would put Inverness on the map as a truly fair and decent club. That image could increase the attractiveness of players and future support staff choosing ICT as a trustworthy and fair employer.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

I've seen the highlights and it was definitely a penalty. Also Lee Mair :thumbdown: Put his hands to Duncan's neck, so he should have been punished as well. Duncan deserved punishment for taking matters into his own hands.

Really hoping Duncan will be allowed to play against Hamilton.

The referee had his back turned to the incident. I'm sure an appeal would result in the card being rescinded. Celtic1Caley3 makes a good point about the financial cost. As a matter of principle I think the club should appeal it though.

Just sums up the officials, completely useless and unable to make clearly obvious decisions, and as for Mair, that was disgraceful and i'm glad they are in the shyte, thats what they deserve.

• Agree 1

Having seen the highlights it is clear that in attempting to dispossess Duncan, Mair went to ground and Duncan , far from diving desparately tried to keep his feet - which he did. In trying to reclaim the ball he was brought down by Mair who was on the ground. Duncan, amazed that no penalty was given, gave Mair some verbals and he responded by either holding or pushing Duncan at throat level. Duncan respoded by pushing Mair away. Mair then went to ground in a way totally beyond the type of physical contact there was. In my view Duncan should have been given a yellow card but Mair committed three separate offences all of which could have justified a red card - but no card was shown.

On the plus side, the highlights also illustrate just how good Rooney was. Surprised the ref didn't book him for being too good.

Must be grounds for an appeal, certainly never a red card. Should have been a penalty for us and a red card for Mair's reaction by raiseing his hands to russells throat. All russell did was barge into him, booking at most. Hope they appeall so he can play in final match

I think it would be only fair to ask for professional advice to see if it could be rescinded and go ahead with an appeal.

Why bother when the player is on the way out the door? because he has given 10 years of his playing career to ICT thats why.

I am assuming that if the appeal is won then there is no fee anyway.

I have seen players only getting a talking to from the ref for far worse than that, after seeing the highlights in my opinion an appeal would be warranted.

Edited by 12th Man

from where i was sitting int he main stand which was in section b almost dead on with the incident, i thought russel had gone mike tyson on mair so i can see where the linesman may have thought it was more than it was.

i am willing to donate to the "get russel out of SPL jail" fund if the club doesn't see it worth doing.

the guy has given heart and soul for this club and to end his caley career like that is nothing short of an insult to him, the fans, the club and football itself!

nobody should end their career like that especially not a diehard ICT one, if they don't both could we maybe invite russel back for a pre-season friendly (even if he may be with another club) so he can finish a game in a caley shirt like he deserves?

I hope Mair gets his shopping delivered by Tescos, it must be pretty embarrassing for him otherwise, if an old lady bumped into his trolley he would be rolling and writhing about in one of the aisles, far safe to get it delivered.

I would say Duncan was brought down in the box attempting to go for the ball by Mair, Duncan was frustrated that he didnt get a penalty.Words may have been exchanged, Mair grabs Duncan by the throat,Duncan pulls Mairs shirt and gets pushed by Duncan's chest, Mair becomes terminally ill for 30 seconds, collapses and Duncan gets sent off.

It should have been Mair sent off for violent conduct and fouling inside the box (preventing Duncan from reaching the ball by trapping his legs)and penalty to ICT, Duncan didnt do enough to warrant a red.

Appeal, appeal,appeal

Mair you are an embarrassment you sacrificed you Honor and dignity to get a player sent off to give ST Mirren the upper hand, it back fired as you still lost, not only did you lose, you lost your respect from fellow professional footballers, spectators of the match and anyone who watched the highlights. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/13329040.stm

Edited by 12th Man
  • Agree 1

Must be grounds for an appeal, certainly never a red card. Should have been a penalty for us and a red card for Mair's reaction by raiseing his hands to russells throat. All russell did was barge into him, booking at most. Hope they appeall so he can play in final match

Hope they appeal as that was definately not a red card Hope Russell gets to play the last game .

I'd happily put some money towards an appeal for Duncan if the club weren't willing. A yellow for both would have sufficed.

I agree a yellow for both . Would be happy to put money towards appeal for Duncan to

probably 3 game ban due to violent conduct so that was russel's last game in an ICT shirt, what a disgrace on behalf of the midden player.

Maybe you should watch the highlights Should not have been red and Duncan was not violent

Unfortunately any review would concentrate entirely on what Duncan did and not why he did it and whilst I don't think it merited a Red Card I think there's enough there for them to uphold the decision.

Either way, if Butcher had intended to give Duncan a run out in either of the last two games then I think it would justify the ?1000 for the appeal, if for no other reason that to delay the sanction and allow him the opportunity to leave the field after his final game in a manner which better reflects the service he has given the club.

Nothing mentioned in the P&J this morning about any appeal, maybe the courier might have more on it tomorrow. didn't realise he was 1 appearance short on barry wilson's total appareances milestone aswell, only futher rubs salt in the wounds really.

I'll probably get slated but i think he deserved his red there. Yeah it wasnt serious violence but if you decide to bash someone you take the risk that they'll fall and if a referee just see's this out the corner of their eye then the only guilty party is Duncan. He should know better by now so I think he let himself down there. I would still love for him to get a run out in the next game though as I feel its deserved after all he has done for this club

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

From what I can see Duncan gets into the box well after beating a man. Mair makes the initial challenge which looks fair. As the ball breaks to the side and Duncan goes for it, Mair inexpilcably traps Duncans legs quite deliberately with the referee only feet away. Should have been a penalty there.

Next Duncan has a wee stooshy on the ground and Mair says words to him before raising his hands towards Russels throat. It seems as though Russel has instinctively and in the heat of the moment reacted whilst getting up by grabbing Mair by the arm and chest bumping him. Lee Mair then took a tumble. Whether the act took him by surpise or he took a fall only he knows.

I've seen players dismissed or cautioned for acts like this. Sometimes they will only get a talking to. David Weir goes on a shoving match every weekend pretty much and did it last time Rangers were in Inverness (may even have been to Duncan ironically) and gets away with it.

I think with the Referee having not seen it (had his back turned), and the linesman having a restricted view then there are perhaps grounds for appeal. A talking to or a booking each would have sufficed. But I can see why the linesman interpretated it the way he did.

If it is only ?1000 for an appeal maybe a whip round between fans and team mates could be arranged. It would be a sad way to end his tenure here otherwise.

• Agree 1

Going by the highlights - now up http://ictfc.com/video for those who may not have seen them - suggests it is a harsh decision. Ref had his back to the incident as play had gone in the other direction so cant be faulted, and I can see how the linesman might interpret it worse than it was.

Looks like nothing more than handbags with a fair bit of embellishment from the Midden player who succeeds in getting Duncan a red instead of what might perhaps have been a deserved yellow for the push/bump. If Duncan had to go, then so did Mair for the throat grab. Might be worthy of an appeal but somehow dont think that will be sanctioned by the club/manager.