Ian Black in drugs bust

ictchris

This is probably the right time to remind people to be very careful what they say regading these allegations. Innocent until proven guilty, possibility of matters going to trial etc.

You beat me to it .... we do not want to stifle debate but please be aware that as criminal charges have been laid, the field of discussion on this incident, and therefore moderation of this topic must be quite narrow. Just as it has been where other criminal charges have been laid against any other player that has come up for discussion

I don't think you need to put 'allegedly' into this story. The link says "Ian Black in drugs bust" - no-one is disputing that Ian Black (and others) were arrested for suspicion of possessing drugs, ie a drugs bust.

I don't think you need to put 'allegedly' into this story. The link says "Ian Black in drugs bust" - no-one is disputing that Ian Black (and others) were arrested for suspicion of possessing drugs, ie a drugs bust.

The original thread also uses the word "nabbed", the meaning of which could arguably be interpreted in a number of ways. You really can't be too careful in a situation like this and I would also suggest that CTO perhaps doesn't quite have access to the same pre publication legal advice or indeed the post publication courtroom resources which The Sun or the BBC would, if necessary be able to turn to.

My advice to the moderators would be what it always is in this kind of situation - delete this thread unless you are prepared to be 100% across it 24/7 and at the same time totally sure of the legal status of every single word at all times.

Problem is - and I know this all too well from our SportNetwork days where some sites got into trouble - is that what you know and/or believe has to be tempered in certain jargon to maintain the premise of 'innocent until proven guilty'. I would also note that I added "alleged" whilst the only source was the Sun and someone later posted the BBC version !!!

I would agree with you that there is no 'alleged' in the fact there was a bust. Its there in black and white, it happened, and as a result of it, two people, identified in the articles were arrested and charged but everything else is and has to be "alleged" until such time as it is proven in a court of law.

Edit: I just 'un-edited' my original editing of the title and first post based on the response above.

Edited by Scotty

The original thread also uses the word "nabbed", the meaning of which could arguably be interpreted in a number of ways. You really can't be too careful in a situation like this and I would also suggest that CTO perhaps doesn't quite have access to the same pre publication legal advice or indeed the post publication courtroom resources which The Sun or the BBC would, if necessary be able to turn to.

My advice to the moderators would be what it always is in this kind of situation - delete this thread unless you are prepared to be 100% across it 24/7 and at the same time totally sure of the legal status of every single word at all times.

It is my understanding - and believe it or not we do have access to counsel should we require it - that the story is in the public domain given that it has appeared in the Sun and on the BBC and will doubtless make the rounds of other journalistic sites. It is therefore valid to discuss the content of those articles that are in the public domain but little else.

We will monitor this thread (rather than shut it down) and remove or edit any posts which - in our opinion - cross the line in terms of posting 3rd hand 'he said - she said' sort of stuff or seems to prejudge guilt or innocence. As criminal charges have been laid I am afraid that kind of post is just not allowed.

It is valid for posters to have an opinion on the matter, and that is fine, I have no problem with that, but priority #1 in this area - as it always has been when anything relating to criminal charges has appeared on the boards - is to exercise our reasonable duty of care to protect the site by removing those posts that may - however unlikely it may be - put us in any form of legal cluster****.

Individual posters are fully responsible for what they post on here, and can be held civilly or criminally liable should they cross certain lines but as site owners we also have a legal duty of care in this area to remove offending material as soon as is practically possible, so please do not get offended if something that is posted gets edited or removed. we will not get into any whys and wherefores on the boards about this type of thing and anyone who wants to know why a post was removed or edited should do so by PM.

Bottom line .... If we can all stay within the parameters of what is allowed in the discussion then fine, the thread will stay open, if we cannot, and it becomes too much work for the mods/admin then we will close the topic.

The 'funny' part of the article that no-one picked up on yet (or at least posted about)

Garry O'Connor did a runner from cops after they swooped on him in a drugs bust. O'Connor, 28, is believed to have been in a car with another person when officers approached, but fled on foot. Officers quickly caught up with the ex-Hibs ace in a lane in Edinburgh.

The 'funny' part of the article that no-one picked up on yet (or at least posted about)

Garry O'Connor did a runner from cops after they swooped on him in a drugs bust. O'Connor, 28, is believed to have been in a car with another person when officers approached, but fled on foot. Officers quickly caught up with the ex-Hibs ace in a lane in Edinburgh.

But can they kick a football? maybe it wasnt that difficult catching a man who was at the time chasing a two headed golden unicorn on roller skates.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

But can they kick a football? maybe it wasnt that difficult catching a man who was at the time chasing a two headed golden unicorn on roller skates.

You've never experimented with drugs have you ?

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

What a dope!

What a dope!

He made a hash of his escape. Obviously he was not on speed.