Who is ICT's most underrated player

Tree

In your opinion, who is ICT's most Underated player of all time? :ponder:

As a converse thread to that started by SMEE, who is the most underated player of all time. I will kick off by selecting Russell, who up until the last 12 months was slated by many in spite of being a key player.

• Agree 1

I can't see how Russel Duncan can be described as "under rated" given his time at the club and the amount of matches he played, I would say that he was very much rated otherwise he would have been gone long before now.

I will put my neck on the chopping block and say adam rooney.........yes, adam rooney. When he first arrived he was not getting regular games and barrowman was getting the nod ahead of him. I always said around this time that rooney always looked much sharper infront of goal when ever he came on and deserved a start. People were not sure on adam but i always thought he would be very good and i was right.

Edited by Doofer
  • Agree 2

rooney was in and out of the team the beginning of our season in the first, an otherwise terrible and depressing away 1-1 draw at airdrie was in my opinion only notable for the revelation at how much better we played when adam came on for barrowboy. his touch and hold up play instantly changed our focus.

only when butcher realised the role he could play and gave him an extended run did he reach his full potential and our promotion charge really began, so doofer isn't far of the mark with that at all. and he was under rated (or still young and learning depending on which way you look at it) for his first wee while at the club.

for my own money, i don't know if liam keogh was ever under rated but i never felt he got a fair crack in the SPL. although most of this was possibly injury related.

also i always though Jamie Duff could have gone on to be a defensive stalwart if Butcher hadn't punted him after his long injury. a season in the first would have been the ideal place for him to regain form. not to be though.

Edited by Bombabim

In terms of ICT youth players i always thought Tony Low was an excellent right winger whenever he played but he was deemed not good enough by John Robertson. Obviously with Tony's recent level of football that shows to be a good decision but i wonder if he stayed on would he have improved.

In terms of ICT youth players i always thought Tony Low was an excellent right winger whenever he played but he was deemed not good enough by John Robertson. Obviously with Tony's recent level of football that shows to be a good decision but i wonder if he stayed on would he have improved.

Tony, is that you?

Zadi (*ducks to avoid flak*), was booed into a nervous reck, but when he was good, he was pretty good. Only 'hing was though, when he was nervous, he was the dictionary definition of a bomb scare. If we were more patient with him, I think he would have a been rated.

This hurts me to say it, it really does, but I have to. dougie Imrie was pretty good, and sometimes I hink his attacking aggression wouldn't do any harm in the current team......

I'm of to burn my clothes and shower in bleach.

• Agree 1

nice thread .....

I agree about Paul Bradshaw .... potentially good player for us (maybe even great - we will never know) but dont think he was really under-rated. As noted, his personal life meant his football career ended so if anyone under-rated him it was likely himself. Gary Farquhar is another who might fall into that same category.

Under-rated ..... perhaps Paul Ritchie in the beginning? He got dogs abuse from some sections of the crowd but was a very effective provider for Dennis Wyness until he got his own scoring boots on ! Andrew Allan was another who I thought might go on to have a longer career at ICT than his 19 games, and I would also agree about Tony Low but thats probably because I used to have the odd pint with his father and am a bit biased.

Looking through the list of former players it is quite hard to pick a few out and say they were under-rated as I dont think we have ever binned anyone who has gone on to greater things other than Allan Smart and its questionable whether we under-rated him or his other teams over-rated him ! Loads of youngsters in the list, but who knows whether any of them might have scaled the heights if they had been kept on .... Rory McAllister is perhaps one to watch right now given his scoring exploits this season, but was he really under-rated given that he played 62 times for ICT and scored 5. He can ceertainly score at his current level but if any D1 or SPL team takes a chance on him is he now more confident and able to do it at a higher level?

nice thread .....

I agree about Paul Bradshaw .... potentially good player for us (maybe even great - we will never know) but dont think he was really under-rated. As noted, his personal life meant his football career ended so if anyone under-rated him it was likely himself. Gary Farquhar is another who might fall into that same category.

Under-rated ..... perhaps Paul Ritchie in the beginning? He got dogs abuse from some sections of the crowd but was a very effective provider for Dennis Wyness until he got his own scoring boots on ! Andrew Allan was another who I thought might go on to have a longer career at ICT than his 19 games, and I would also agree about Tony Low but thats probably because I used to have the odd pint with his father and am a bit biased.

Looking through the list of former players it is quite hard to pick a few out and say they were under-rated as I dont think we have ever binned anyone who has gone on to greater things other than Allan Smart and its questionable whether we under-rated him or his other teams over-rated him ! Loads of youngsters in the list, but who knows whether any of them might have scaled the heights if they had been kept on .... Rory McAllister is perhaps one to watch right now given his scoring exploits this season, but was he really under-rated given that he played 62 times for ICT and scored 5. He can ceertainly score at his current level but if any D1 or SPL team takes a chance on him is he now more confident and able to do it at a higher level?

Scotty, a good shout with Paul Ritchie. I remember being at an away game in Perth which wasn't going too well and Paul came on as a sub and got dogs abuse from our fans on his first touch. He had many critics in regard to his work rate but as far as I'm concerned his goal scoring record speaks volumes and his contribution should not be underestimated.

As for other under-rated players, how about Daisy Ross - he never got the credit he deserved.

nice thread .....

Scotty, a good shout with Paul Ritchie. I remember being at an away game in Perth which wasn't going too well and Paul came on as a sub and got dogs abuse from our fans on his first touch. He had many critics in regard to his work rate but as far as I'm concerned his goal scoring record speaks volumes and his contribution should not be underestimated.

As for other under-rated players, how about Daisy Ross - he never got the credit he deserved.

Daisy Ross, always looked so awkward running but ICT tinted glasses remember him getting the job done and setting something up, loved watching Daisy play.

Ross Tokely. Written off every year by supporters of other teams and a few of our own, yet has managed to play regularly at the highest tier of Scottish football for a substantial period of time. And that's even taking into account that he rarely plays in his best position (IMHO) of centre-back.

I'd also put in a word for Davide Xausa. Ok, perhaps he couldn't have gone any higher than he did (or when he did, it showed that he shouldn't) but, when here, he did really well for us. Even brought us in some desperately needed cash when he left. Doesn't get the credit he deserved due to not being the complete player (and I'm not trying to argue he was) but scored and created for a good return at our club.

• Agree 2

thought sanchez was pretty underrated this season after he scored and assisted against elgin i though he was brilliant until he got injured, was creative and played in "the hole" well after elgin but was unfortunate. he never came back for us unfortunatly