ICT win Marius appeal ......

Scotty

Press release now on main site ...... http://caleythistleonline.com/4173-final-whistle-for-marius

Never actaully went to appeal but understand why you thought that due to statement , Reason it never went to further appeal with the FIFA case and was never heard in Inverness court was that following agreement from both sides lawyers Marius agreed to drop both cases, but hey don't let the facts get in the way of some good spin, can't say more than that

When ICT won at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in December, I recall that part of the ruling was that Marius had to pay ICT's costs - which could have amounted to tens of thousands.

I suspect that a big part of the agreement now reached will be that ICT do not pursue him for those costs in return for him not pursuing the employment law case at Inverness Sheriff Court.

CaleyD might be right that nobody comes out of this looking good, but the facts that will go down in the history books are that Marius claimed he was owed money by ICT, but failed to prove anything, and ICT were completely and utterly vindicated by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

All in all, May has been a good month for ICT.

• Agree 5

Agreed. Marius did very well out of us, but tried to bite the hand that fed.

We don't know that for sure .... thinking back to the actual period of time where it happened, there was so much going on, so many claims and counter-claims, so many apparent inconsistencies in stories depending on who was telling them or what our own opinions were.

I think we can safely say that only a handful of people know the exact details and every nuance - of which there were many - in this case and the suggestion to draw a line under the whole thing is the best idea.

4 years after we signed Marius, we appear to have the exact same scenario:

- ICT need a striker after being unable to keep hold of their out of contract top scorer (Dargo/Rooney)

- Marius has faded into the wilderness and needs to relaunch his career (again)

- Alan Savage, with Romanian connections through Orion, wants to get involved in running ICT (again)

Can you see where this is going?

Well, nowhere. We are more likely to sign Nicholas Nickleby than Marius Niculae - unless there's an 'elluva twist to this tale.

Wow, that would be a turnaround!

Did no-one tell Marius of the Highland curse?

I don't think we can assume anything in this case other than 'I'm glad it's all over' and no-one really suffered too badly.

The Board must be reading the offerings on here and shaking their collective heads!

All that 'Muppet' calling - the Board have no idea - they can't tell Euro's from ?? - no correct contract - they are an embarrasment to the club name - pay him now (the last, if I remember correctly, came from Scotty)

The club stuck to their principles and we, the supporters, will see our money spent ON THE PARK and not thrown away.

Well done to our Board!!

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 2

The Board must be reading the offerings on here and shaking their collective heads!

All that 'Muppet' calling - the Board have no idea - they can't tell Euro's from ?? - no correct contract - they are an embarrasment to the club name - pay him now (the last, if I remember correctly, came from Scotty)

The club stuck to their principles and we, the supporters, will see our money spent ON THE PARK and not thrown away.

Well done to our Board!!

So how much did this affair cost us in the end?

All that 'Muppet' calling - the Board have no idea - they can't tell Euro's from ££ - no correct contract - they are an embarrasment to the club name - pay him now (the last, if I remember correctly, came from Scotty)

Indeed, hindsight is a wonderful thing ...

Yes, I said they should pay him now, based on the information that was out in the public domain at the time but I do not believe I have ever used the term "muppets" to describe our board. Did I get the "pay him now" opinion wrong? It would certainly appear so based on the CAS and Sheriff Court rulings, and it isn't the first and certainly won't be the last time I will be wrong on this board, but yet again, its not all black and white ... The CAS ruling is definitely important but it is my understanding that the Sheriff Court throwing out the other case may have had more to do with the fact that MN was once again not present than any evidence to be presented on one side or the other. We will never know how it would have turned out had he actually flown in from overseas.

As for the money - don't expect to see ANY of it on the park .... its all in the lawyers' bank accounts !

No winners in this saga, which is why I agree with Stevico and CaleyD and think we should draw a line under it. (it)

Hi Scotty,

I would agree that at no time have you used the term 'muppet' re the board and indeed, if you re-read my contribution, you will note that I only attributed the last of the endearing statements to your goodself!

Whilst hindsight regarding and drawing a line under, the affair, will no doubt offer wisdom, I do feel the Board need their moment of 'I telt you so!'

If my memory serves me correctly, they had very few backers on this forum when the heat was on.

As for the cash, it could have been in both the lawyers and MN's pockets had we lost.

It is strange to see ICT support not cheering on a win, even in the court.

• Disagree 1

There are no winners here. By failing to use a proper registered agent, one who knows the ins and outs of sports law, Marius has lost out. The costs of the appeals and the initial court proceedings will probably come out of the funds recieved for the player and that wont be peanuts. So no winners here to celebrate.

Whilst hindsight regarding and drawing a line under, the affair, will no doubt offer wisdom, I do feel the Board need their moment of 'I telt you so!'

And I am sure they are having that moment .... should any of them wish to register an account here (or use the ones they already have) so they can have a (deserved) gloat in public they are equally as welcome to do so as anyone else who becomes a member of the site ........ it wont happen, but the option is there !

I remember having a conversation with Grassa and Kenny in the boardroom three or four years ago and something that Grassa said stuck with me. He recounted how in the early days he used to get upset/angry at some of the comments on the boards, especially when aimed directly at him, but as time wore on it affected him less and less to the point where it was virtually water off a duck's back because most of the worst comments come from those who hide behind a pseudonym and he's not going to waste breath on being offended by "anonymous from <placename>".

At the end of the day I have always stated my personal opinions on this and any other subjects over the last 17 years of the site and where I criticise the board, the manager, or the players, have never been afraid to repeat those opinions face to face (when I visit). Sometimes I am right, sometimes I am wrong and sometimes I have my views modified by reading the opinions of others .... I have dished out praise to the board for much of that time (so much so that I have been accused of being in their pockets on multiple occasions) but I am also not afraid to criticise where and when my opinion differs from theirs or where I think they have got it wrong. I will continue to do that and I will continue to be right on some occasions and wrong on others. I still have a healthy relationship with many people at the club and regularly chat with them privately about all sorts of things both related and unrelated to CTO.

As Alex says ... no winners here, and we are only getting a summary not the minutiae but you know what, at this point, thats all we need. its over, the saga (from the signing onwards) has dragged on through the tenure of 3 different managers and 3 different chairmen and its time to put it to bed and move on with preparations for 2011/12.

• Agree 1

I don't celebrate a win as I see Marius as part of ICT. He performed whilst he was here, wanted to stay (probably but all rumours of course) and won his first encounter in court. I'm glad neither side is hurt too badly but it was ICT v ICT. Best result would be neither too much out of pocket. Seems to have happened. I'd welcome Marius back (although far from expected) but happy both sides can move on without looking over their shoulder. It's a happy medium for both. No heroes or villains.

• Agree 1

Marius did not perform well in an inverness shirt i seem to remember he only scored 10 goals?

Pretty sure Don cowie scored more from midfield and Niculae never seemed to try.

But im glad this is all over and we can put it behind us.

But will ICT not be awarded costs to come out of Marius' pocket?

Their lawyers' fees will not be a small sum of money since they had hired "the leading sports lawyers in Scotland" did they not?

Loser generally pays.

Timje to move on.

• 2 weeks later...