Andrew Greig (No 18 tonight v Clach)

caleyrule

Height shouldn't matter if he has the talent and ability. Sadly the British game is more and more focused on big, strong 'athletes' whose technical skills are of secondary importance.

• Agree 2

Glad to hear good things about a youngster at the club, sounds like he has talent.

But at the risk of sounding negative, if he's as small as people are saying, how realistic is it that he will make it as a pro? Lightweight players can always bulk up a bit, slow players can work on speed, but it's not so easy to overcome a 'vertical' challenge. How many successful small players have there been in the SPL?

I hope to see him play sometime and wish him continued progress. Onwards and upwards!

Glad to hear good things about a youngster at the club, sounds like he has talent.

But at the risk of sounding negative, if he's as small as people are saying, how realistic is it that he will make it as a pro? Lightweight players can always bulk up a bit, slow players can work on speed, but it's not so easy to overcome a 'vertical' challenge. How many successful small players have there been in the SPL?

I hope to see him play sometime and wish him continued progress. Onwards and upwards!

Good things, small packages?

Messi is 5'7", but I think Maradona is even smaller at 5'5". Two of the greatest players the world has ever seen.

But I bet you if they'd been raised in Scotland, their clubs would have released them by the time they were 18!

• Agree 2

Messi is 5'7", but I think Maradona is even smaller at 5'5". Two of the greatest players the world has ever seen.

But I bet you if they'd been raised in Scotland, their clubs would have released them by the time they were 18!

Jimmy Johnstone 5'2", it is hard to figure out why there is such an emphasis on power in the Scottish game now.

Edited by marks

George Best was pretty small too. The thing is, you play to your strengths. If you have small skillful players you keep the ball on the deck, if you have tall strikers you play the high ball - if you have Andy Barrowman you go into the transfer market.

• Agree 1

I'm impressed with Greig on tonights showing but I think he'll get kicked about in the league. I hope to be proved wrong though. :twothumbsup:

Hopefully he gets into the box before getting kicked, play to your strengths as doofersdad says.

You need to see him before making comments on him. To be honest he must be the smallest footballer in the world, that is no disrespect to him as he is obviously very neat on the ball. That is not heightist or whatever, that is fact.

It will be tough for him in the big boys game, but if he has the determination then he will survive. Good luck to him.

George Best was a giant compared to this lad.

The New Hayes?

Need someone to RUN at defenses and test their metal and he may get booted about but we'll only get the free kick for it so swings and roundabouts really tbh. Nick is the same, a strong wind looks like it would knock him over but it means keeping the ball on the ground instead of the timeless caley "PUNT IT" and use passing to move the ball forward to our smaller but yet more agile players.

The New Hayes?

Need someone to RUN at defenses and test their metal and he may get booted about but we'll only get the free kick for it so swings and roundabouts really tbh. Nick is the same, a strong wind looks like it would knock him over but it means keeping the ball on the ground instead of the timeless caley "PUNT IT" and use passing to move the ball forward to our smaller but yet more agile players.

Well said GMD. Agree totally. The wee guys can run rings round the big guys, sometimes, hopefully. Andrew Greig looks a good prospect, despite the comments - players don't all need to be giants to be great.

Spies during WW2 hid cyanide capsules in their mouth (in their teeth or summat) to commit suicide in the event of being captured.?

So he could do the same could he not with a cyst full of beetroot juice so that when he went down the blood red dribble would be all over his shirt and make the ref wonder what on earth the defender had done to him, righ?

Difficult to refuse a penalty to the lad in these circumstances ...eh? :slapme: