Additional signings

Tichy_Blacks_Back

Guest Mahonio

I see that Josh Magennis has been told he can leave Dons if he can find a club, would he be worth a move for?

Also, i would just like to say that, i reckon, we should look to Irish Leagues for good players, do you guys agree?

I've been thinking that myself - Irish players that is. Not just for us though. England seems to be able to get a fair number of decent Irish players at all levels (including Hayes). An enterprising Scottish club could probably do fairly well, especially with the decline of the SPL.

James McPake seems to be on the way out at Coventry and he's been linked with the likes of Dunfermline & Kilmarnock so why not us. Decent defender who's been playing at a good level

Whilst i agree that McPake would be a great addition to the squad i feel there is little to no chance of us signing him on loan. His main position (right back) is fairly well covered there with Piermayr, Meekings, Proctor, Tokely and if pushed Cox all capable of playing at right back. Cant see Terry wanting to sign another player for this position when there are others needing attention

From what ive heard, Hibs seem to be favourites to land him at present

He was a center back at Livingston. Brewster tryed to sign him just before he was sacked. Probably played right back at Coventry out of hope of playing regularly. We need a good quality defender coming in and i dont see why we shouldnt make a move for him.

• Agree 1

I see that Josh Magennis has been told he can leave Dons if he can find a club, would he be worth a move for?

Going by his stats, his goal record isn't very good. 4 goals in 42 appearances for Aberdeen - doesn't look like a prolific goalscorer to me. He can play in goal though apparently, maybe that's where he should stick!

Kevin Doyle, established premier league and Irish international footballter? Started as a 50k signing from Cork. Can add to him to a slim but decent list of players who started in the LOI.

Doesn't matter what the standard is like in general. Southend Reserves isn't a great standard but that's where we got Richie Foran from. We're only trying to see a rough diamond in there, not join the league (which isn't that far off the SPL anyway)

• Agree 1

Seamus Coleman came from the league of Ireland, signed for Everton in 2009 for 150k and is a quality player. Apart from the OF i don't think there is a great difference between LOI and SPL.

There are exceptions, the occasional good young player like Kevin Doyle or Seamus Coleman, but the fact is that very few players have moved from the LoI to the SPL with any great success.

We'll see how these guys that Hibs are signing do in the SPL - they are apparently signing Garry Twigg. He has been a prolific scorer in the LOI for the past three seasons, before that he played in the Scottish lower leagues for Airdrie and Brechin.

Chris specifically asked about LOI players moving to the SPL, and whilst there are good players to come out of the LOI the ones who came here have generally been duds or no better than could have been picked up from our Division 1.

I would suggest that the reason for that is that the LOI is very heavily scouted by the English teams, who pick up all the good players. There's perhaps been a bit of bandwagon jumping and bargain hunting by Scottish teams, who simply end up with the leftovers.

Guest Mahonio

Just a quick question, what level of players should we be looking at, League 1 or 2 in England, Irish League or any others, what are your thoughts people :)?